Newbie bought a Seadoo, now could use some advice!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow Seadoo owners. I have been wanting a PWC forever! But the Army doesnt pay enough for me to have too many toys and my Jeep takes most the money ;)

-- Issue is this. I recently bought a 1993 GTS from a guy who gets them as trade ins fixes them up and sells them. The seadoo runs great and has good compression. However, when i bought it it had like a mold type green/dark brown stain on 3/4 of the bottum of the hull. I scrubbed and scrubbed and was able to get most off. Then I started on cleaning the jet pump area. My questions is this..... There is corrosion on the bottom plate that holds the jet pump to the ski.:eek: I havent removed it yet. So far I have removed and cleaned the bottom intake grate and the reverse asembly. That is where I stopped for time being because I was scared to take any more off. CAN I TAKE OFF THIS BOTTOM PLATE AND SAND IT AND PAINT IT WITH SOME RATTLE PRIMER THATS WATERPROOF? Thats my main question.

----SECONDLY CAN I REMOVE THE STEERING NOZZLE AND MORE WITHOUT HAVING TO COMPLETELY SEAL EVERYTHING BACK UP WHEN I PUT IT BACK ON? Just basically asking what I can remove in my garage with limited tools to just clean and check everything in the jet pump area. PLZ ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

All of the parts of the pup, and the ride plate can come off of the hull, but, they all need to be sealed when they go back on.

If you take off the pump parts... yes, they can be cleaned, and painted.

As far as the stain on the bottom of the hull.... I wouldn't worry about it. Go ride, and enjoy it.

My GTI had that mold stain on the bottom of it, and I wet sanded the bottom with real fine grit sandpaper and then polished it.....It looked almost brand new when it was done. (my whole ski was stained lilke that though, even the seats)

Crappy pic of before

67.jpg

then after

16.jpg

Toilet bowl cleaner does a great job on algae stains.

As far as the ride plate; Forget taking it out its a PITA. just sand it and paint it on the machine if you are really worried about it. Its a 93...

Hey thanx for all the advice guys. I just wanted to take it off and clean/sand/paint it to help with further corrosion. I know its a 93 but its my first and I wanted to at least do a basic once over on it before summer. I dont even know where I should start all I know is it has good compression in both cylinders and reponds to the throttle nice outside of the water. I could see impeller turning without any mettalic or other bad noises when we ran it for about 30 sec. at the PO house b4 I bought it. It just seems like it sat in water for a long time B4 I got it because of mold line. Ive attached some pics if that helps with any more advice.

Attachments

• DSCN0748.JPG
    DSCN0748.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0749.JPG
    DSCN0749.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0751.JPG
    DSCN0751.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0753.JPG
    DSCN0753.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0752.JPG
    DSCN0752.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 29
Just get a gallon of toilet cleaner, a pack of scotch pads, and some gloves and go to town...you wont believe how good it will come out.

As far as the rest of the machine I would recommend new fuel lines, clean the selector valve, and rebuild the carbs including new needles and seats. Also take the nozzle and cone off the pump, and change the pump oil.

Using a 600+ grit wet/dry sandpaper to start. Then go to a rubbing compound, then wax. Takes years of alegy and oxidation away.

@ Minnetonka

Thx for the advice buddy, one more question for you though. Will I be able to take the nozzle and cone off the pump to change the oil with my "average" man tools in the garage or does that require special tools. I downloaded the service manual but have not really had time to look to close at it yet. I assume though you can remove those items without taking off the ride plate, correct?

Yeah...its all normal tools. The 4 bolts holding the nozzle on, the one for steering (and revese springs?) and that is off. then there is 3 8mm bolts holding the cone on. drain. Clean up cone, then install new O ring. Put some aerobic sealant (looks like red loctite) on it and install. Fill with marine gear oil, then install plug w/ thread sealant.

this thread is a couple months old but when I pull my boat out of the water at the end of the season it's got a serious brown algae stain on it below the water line. The first year I used this hull cleaner from my local marina that took me the whole day to clean and had to keep going over the same areas. You had to rinse it off at just the right time or it would leave a black stain that you had to go back and clean. Then I discoverd "On and Off Hull Cleaner", i get it at West Marine. This stuff is incredible. Bottle says to brush it on, but the guy at the store told me to use a spray bottle which is much faster and you don't use nearly as much cleaner. One quart bottle is probably going to last me 3 years. Spray this stuff on and the stain instantly melts away. I spray, lighly brush and rinse. My whole boat is done in 1 hour. The bad thing about this stuff is the fumes are really nasty. There is some kind of acid in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back