Advice Anyone? Valuing / Selling a '03 Challenger Bombardier 2000

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

HeyThere20

Please be nice :)

Hi - I inherited this boat after a family member passed.

Short version:
No one in my area works on jet boats - I've tried endless marinas and freelance mechanics and I was constantly turned away and was advised to "get a real boat."
I had one guy "look it over" before we used it for a summer, but it was more of a "favor" and something he "doesn't do."

All was great until we took her out one day, overheated & shut down, had to get towed back to the launch, and it's been sitting ever since.
I was turned away by everyone, and looooong story short it's been shrink wrapped and sitting on the trailer in my driveway since 2019, not winterized (I'm in CT), gas in the tank, I know. Not good. This is why I said "please be nice."

I had a lot of trauma around this incident and I couldn't handle the rude marinas laughing and shaming me for being a newbie, having a jet boat, not "knowing any better..."
I was vaguely informed this boat had had some minor issues in the past, and as someone who was just trying to learn the ropes, I'm super discouraged by this whole experience and want the boat gone. My heart breaks walking past her every day, but I need to let her go and hope that one day I can have another boat to learn on.

So the advice I'm seeking, is, say I was your 30 something year old friend who is sick of being bullied by locals, yet is definitely out of her element here trying to value and re-home this boat.
What would you say is the best way to go about it?

Most of the guys around here tell me the trailer is the only thing people will want.
I'm aware they don't make them anymore, but I am even more aware that I have no business trying to part this thing out or claim I know what kind of condition it's in.
I don't know where to start, so I thought maybe someone here could help.

2003 Seadoo Challenger Bombardier 2000
240hp Mercury EFI M2 Jet Drive
19 feet long, on trailer

I don't have current photos of it at the moment but attached one from 2019. I do have plenty of photos from right before we parked her :(

Thanks all for your time and kindness
Heather

Attachments

• IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Welcome. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Your Challenger looks pretty nice in the picture.
I have same boat... 2000 year model.
For starters... if you could get your boat started, that would go a long way towards making it more "sellable".
It's okay to start the engine (out of the water, on the trailer) but don't rev above idle... and no longer than 30 seconds. If you connect a hose, you can run it (keep it near idle) longer.
Thankfully, then engine is self-draining... so it should be safe from any potential freeze damage while sitting the past few years.
The overheating incident may/may-not of done any permanent damage. Really depends on how hot it got... or if you shut it off as soon as you heard the beeping/indicator. Hard to say.
Any Mercury outboard mechanic should be able to run basic troubleshooting on the engine. They will probably just not like having to climb into the boat to get at the it (not hanging on the back of the boat like normal outboard engines). Knowing the compression numbers on the cylinders would go a long way to easing possible buyers that the engine is not "blown".
In my market (PNW), your boat running would be ~$9-10k asking price. If the engine is suspect and can't be started... probably closer to half that. These are niche boats with boat being Seadoo and engine being Mercury.

Best of luck!

Please be nice :)

Hi - I inherited this boat after a family member passed.

Short version:
No one in my area works on jet boats - I've tried endless marinas and freelance mechanics and I was constantly turned away and was advised to "get a real boat."
I had one guy "look it over" before we used it for a summer, but it was more of a "favor" and something he "doesn't do."

All was great until we took her out one day, overheated & shut down, had to get towed back to the launch, and it's been sitting ever since.
I was turned away by everyone, and looooong story short it's been shrink wrapped and sitting on the trailer in my driveway since 2019, not winterized (I'm in CT), gas in the tank, I know. Not good. This is why I said "please be nice."

I had a lot of trauma around this incident and I couldn't handle the rude marinas laughing and shaming me for being a newbie, having a jet boat, not "knowing any better..."
I was vaguely informed this boat had had some minor issues in the past, and as someone who was just trying to learn the ropes, I'm super discouraged by this whole experience and want the boat gone. My heart breaks walking past her every day, but I need to let her go and hope that one day I can have another boat to learn on.

So the advice I'm seeking, is, say I was your 30 something year old friend who is sick of being bullied by locals, yet is definitely out of her element here trying to value and re-home this boat.
What would you say is the best way to go about it?

Most of the guys around here tell me the trailer is the only thing people will want.
I'm aware they don't make them anymore, but I am even more aware that I have no business trying to part this thing out or claim I know what kind of condition it's in.
I don't know where to start, so I thought maybe someone here could help.

2003 Seadoo Challenger Bombardier 2000
240hp Mercury EFI M2 Jet Drive
19 feet long, on trailer

I don't have current photos of it at the moment but attached one from 2019. I do have plenty of photos from right before we parked her :(

Thanks all for your time and kindness
Heather

The people that make fun of jet boats have never been in or on a jet boat. They can do many things an outboard cannot. Yes, they have disadvantages, too. But so do outboards.

You are not alone in not finding anyone to work on your boat. Hence the reason for this forum. No one anywhere will work on these boats. The engine is the same as a same year big Merc outboard. Just hard to access.

Since it has been sitting since 2019, you might need a lot of work. Ethanol gas can cause problems lots of places in the engine. Assuming there is no over-heat damage. As Ripcuda said- it is worth a lot more if it runs.

When the boat was parked- was it full of gas or empty?
Full is better than empty. There should be less water in the tank if it was parked with full tank.

Check comparable prices on other Seadoos. Google 2003 Seadoo.

BTW, your boat looks in better condition than my 2001 Challenger.

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Your Challenger looks pretty nice in the picture.
I have same boat... 2000 year model.
For starters... if you could get your boat started, that would go a long way towards making it more "sellable".
It's okay to start the engine (out of the water, on the trailer) but don't rev above idle... and no longer than 30 seconds. If you connect a hose, you can run it (keep it near idle) longer.
Thankfully, then engine is self-draining... so it should be safe from any potential freeze damage while sitting the past few years.
The overheating incident may/may-not of done any permanent damage. Really depends on how hot it got... or if you shut it off as soon as you heard the beeping/indicator. Hard to say.
Any Mercury outboard mechanic should be able to run basic troubleshooting on the engine. They will probably just not like having to climb into the boat to get at the it (not hanging on the back of the boat like normal outboard engines). Knowing the compression numbers on the cylinders would go a long way to easing possible buyers that the engine is not "blown".
In my market (PNW), your boat running would be ~$9-10k asking price. If the engine is suspect and can't be started... probably closer to half that. These are niche boats with boat being Seadoo and engine being Mercury.

Best of luck!
This is so incredibly helpful, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to break this all down for me!
With some more research, I'm going to see if I can get a hose on there at some point and see if she starts, and go from there.

This gives me a great starting point, so thank you again!!

The people that make fun of jet boats have never been in or on a jet boat. They can do many things an outboard cannot. Yes, they have disadvantages, too. But so do outboards.

You are not alone in not finding anyone to work on your boat. Hence the reason for this forum. No one anywhere will work on these boats. The engine is the same as a same year big Merc outboard. Just hard to access.

Since it has been sitting since 2019, you might need a lot of work. Ethanol gas can cause problems lots of places in the engine. Assuming there is no over-heat damage. As Ripcuda said- it is worth a lot more if it runs.

When the boat was parked- was it full of gas or empty?
Full is better than empty. There should be less water in the tank if it was parked with full tank.

Check comparable prices on other Seadoos. Google 2003 Seadoo.

BTW, your boat looks in better condition than my 2001 Challenger.
You know, I feel that way too!! Everyone's got a complaint or joke about jet boats, but this thing was an absolute JOY to drive and wakeboard with, I've got to say!

Yah, I hear you on the needing a lot work. That's been part of my anxiety, knowing that I can't take it on, and stressing that no one else would want to buy it knowing it's a big project/you can't find parts.... And well, as you know, the longer it sits....

Yes, we had filled it up the morning it broke down, so there's definitely more than half a tank in there, which makes me sad because like you said, it can cause problems.

Thank you so much for your insight, I feel so much better knowing that there are still people out there who love these boats. I keep telling myself that if worst comes to worst, maybe someone will be happy to buy it for the non-mechanical parts to fix up their own. It's been wrapped and sitting, so once this damn pollen decides to calm down, I want to let her breathe, clean her up and see what I'm working with.

We'll see! It is what it is at this point, but I'm hopeful for a somewhat decent outcome!
Thanks again!!

Back