Need advice! new to me 96 xp800 high compression

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

markitup

Hi all! I recently picked up a 96 xp800, and both cylinders are registering 205# of compression. Do I need to be running av gas or will premium do? Traded an 800 dollar rifle for her non running. Replaced the fuel lines, pulled the carb, put a new battery in and she seems to run great. Everything appears to be stock. It sat outside unused for four years so the decals are coming off and the polisher is doing wonders. Any advice? Thanks all!

Hmm....thats odd unless there was a ton of oil in the cylinder. It is also possible someone cut the head. Or...if your gauge adaptor you are using is the wrong one its surprising the range you can see from different adaptors.

205 is definately 100% race gas compression...180 is the cutoff point between premium and race.

I measured it after starting it a good 10 times and running it around in the river for about 15 minutes. The gauge has been reliable in the past. I already put a few gallons of premium in, would octane booster help me get me the rest of the way? Thanks

Are there any other mods on the ski? I would not expect that they did work on it to push the compression up that high without doing anything else. I would test it with another gauge. If it is that high, then race gas.

I have never had good luck with octane booster on race motors.

The exhaust appears to be stock. Everything appears to be stock from what I can tell with no pwc experience. Compression sounded high when trying to crank from the old battery. Couldn't do it. Motor is very clean.

Keep the oil injection or ditch it? I don't mind premixing. I put some small gel coat blisters in above the runners with the heat gun while removing the worn out stock decals. Any advice on that? Thanks

I'd like to see some pics please. We may be able to point out some other alterations.

+3 on 205 being race gas territory

Ha I've been trying to upload pictures but my service is horrible where I am at now. In a couple hours I'll be able to.

28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg

You should get 2 beeps when you put the lanyard on. If you put the lanyard on and it turns over with the start/stop button your beeper is probably bad. $8 at radio shack.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I measured it after starting it a good 10 times and running it around in the river for about 15 minutes. The gauge has been reliable in the past. I already put a few gallons of premium in, would octane booster help me get me the rest of the way? Thanks

Something seems odd. If it's cut that much you could probably measure it on the outside & find its short. Also like others mentioned, it seems strange that it has a stock air box, pipe etc. As far as octane booster. The stuff does almost nothing except make you feel like spent the equivalent amount of money. Most of them would be hard pressed to turn 87 into 87.5 let alone, 91 into race fuel. The rest won't do anything at all.

What brand gauge do you have? I would hook it up to a compressed air line & check it against some other gauges. Maybe it was dropped at some point? The only thing that separates a compression gauge from any regular PSI gauge is the spark plug hole adaptor & the check valve thats at the very tip of it.

If you think the gauge is correct, then I would download a manual for the ski. Free to paid members here but also easily found free by googling. Then look in the engine section and do the measurement for the squish gap. You can do it with the head on using solder and a good set of calipers. That will tell you for sure what is happening.

Could be a shaved head (as others have said). The head bolts have definitely been removed at some point. Also could be a thin base gasket. (do they make those for these skis?)

that seem out to lunch to me have you ever done a squish test. milling a stock head that far cant be good. I wouldn't get to crazy riding it till you no you squish from what you saying that motor is on the boarder of detonating.

Yeah at 205 you would think the motor would have torched in no time.

In my race boat it's about 205, I ran 50/50 c12 and non ox 91 for two years without incident

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I need to try another compression gauge we are thinking this one got dropped or something. It has been reliable but a friend tested his car and the numbers were also high. I'll still work on the squish test too, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back