3 years and so close with one 1996 XP - still bogging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shattered00

@JeremyD615 Thank you for the follow up to my last post from June. I did see it and did try the recommendations but am still having the bogging issue and I just didn't have the spirit to respond at the time.

I am going to list out a quick summary of this ski and what I have done to try and address the problem.

First, the history: I bought two 96 XPs from an individual (4th owner) that had sat out in the elements at a marina for several years. I paid $700 for both including a double trailer. They were in rough shape, but I went for it as a side project not ever having worked on jet skis (or anything mechanical for that matter) ever. I wanted three running skis for myself and two cousins and didn't have the budget (and still don't) for new jet skis. I already had a 95 XP that I was planning on working on (which is now fixed and running great). Of the two 96s, I have one together that is bogging and the other is completely disassembled. I had the engines on all three rebuilt (entire engine/crankcase).

Second, the problem: The 96 XP bogs when any amount of throttle is given. If I go slowly, it will sometimes get up to maybe 10-15 mph but then taper off. If I depress the throttle to WOT, it usually ends up stopping the engine. The ski cranks easily in the water FYI. Below are some videos of the problem in case they help at all:

When out of the water, the ski cranks easily, and responds to the throttle appropriately. Video below.

Third, what I have attempted to do to fix it:
- Changed the fuel selector valve/switch ( I tried to find new OEM, but was unable to - I ordered one that said OEM but was not - stamping was from Taiwan in unmarked box).
- Replaced the water separator and ensured it had a new o-ring
- Replaced all grey fuel lines with USCG rated black fuel lines
- I have changed the inlet and outlet valves for the fuel tank (one of which goes to the outside of the ski to relieve pressure)
- Changed the rectifier
- New fuel is in the gas tank with slight amount of oil per the manual on new engine break-ins
- All clamps corresponding to fuel lines/carbs/water separator have been tightened
- Carbs have been cleaned out (compression shot through the nozzles to clear out any debris with carb cleaner being shot through after to make sure they were open)) and rebuilt with a genuine Mikuni kit along with Mikuni 80gram black spring and Mikuni 1.5 Needles(viton tip)/seats - I was not able to use the original spring in the carbs because someone before me had replaced it with things that weren't OEM so I just started from scratch with all OEM.
- Carbs have been set to factor specs (Low 1, High 0) - I have also tried low from 1 to 1.5 with no difference noticed)
- Cleaned Rave valves
- Changed spark plugs and gapped properly - NGK Br8es
- Even though it is a newly rebuilt engine with less than an hour on it (from me testing the ski), I have tried a compression test with the Autozone kit that I bought but I think the kit is defective and beyond the return window. It reads 115 on each cylinder and reads even less on the 95 which shows GPS speeds at 53mph and has zero issues with acceleration.

I am now out of options. It has been a three year journey to this point and, while I have not spent a ton of money, the time I have spent is beyond anything I had ever imagined I would spend. To add insult to injury, on the last lake test, when I closed the hood, the speed gauge (which never worked and now I know why) fell off, but somehow I got it before it fell into the water. I imagine I will need to seal that area off again at some point, but that is clearly the least of my problems.

IMG_20190802_185751.jpg

Any advice or help that anyone can give will be much appreciated beyond words. If anyone is in the Fort Worth area and likes beer/liquor/soda/pizza/other food/$100 or so bucks and would be interested in helping me, I would gladly accept it. I had been determined not to pay a mechanic since I don't have much spare money, but I cannot sit by while another summer passes me up. I gave up last week and called more than 10 shops to see if anyone could help, and only one said they would, however, the wait time is likely for the rest of the summer if not the rest of the year. Thanks again for input as usual.

I would verify rotary valve timing and clearance.
Verify compression with a good gauge.
Verify pop-off and leak down on the carbs.

The engine builder had the rotary valve disc set and taped when I received the engine, but I will try and figure out how to check it. I will buy another comp gauge and see what it says. I do have a Mikuni pop off tester but I wasn't exactly sure if I could test it with the carburetors still attached or not. I am not familiar with leak down and how to test that but I will research it.

Jerking the throttle either typically kills the engine or results in loss of throttle. The only time I can get a little speed is if I slowly press the throttle more and more each second but it usually drops off not too long after.

Jerking the throttle either typically kills the engine or results in loss of throttle. The only time I can get a little speed is if I slowly press the throttle more and more each second but it usually drops off not too long after.

Well, that is a little bit what I meant. When I had that issue, it could take me up to a minute to get my ski up to speed just by giving slow gradual presses (not jerking really). Could be the rotary valve not timed properly or the cover (mine was a bit stripped but after adjusting the timing and re-using the cover it worked well. Still works well since 2015 (220 hours on new engine and rotary valve).

Also, I had a carb issue. Once rotary valve was fixed I still had some carb issues (jumping from 20 mph to 30 mph with no in between). In the end I got so tired of it that I ended up buying a new carb rom OSD and voila, fixed!

I haven't read the whole thread but if you pull the choke when it bogs, does it help? If it does, it may not be the rotary valve after all (or it could be both as it was my case).

Good question, I didn't put that in my solutions tried, but I did pull the choke while running the ski on the water and it did not have any positive effect. I also put the flame arrestor on with no effect.

Edit: Originally I tried without the flame arrestor/air box with no luck.

Last edited:
I am not a mechanics, far from it, but many of my smaller machines (back pack 2 stroke blower just to name one) have flame arrestors and these things get clogged over time making the engine bog down. They need to be cleaned when this happens (happened to my 2 stroke back pack just a few months ago, a friend showed me how to clean it, I heated it with a torch). I am not sure this is relevant at all to you but you are implying that you tried the ski without the flame arrestor and that didn't make a difference?

I have never read anything about such issues on a Sea-Doo on this forum before. Maybe a pro could explain this. I am interested. @mikidymac ?

No the air box doesn’t clog. And absolutely don’t run it without the air box or you will be really lean.

Question. If the flame arrestor is in place but without the air box will the engine still be lean?

I’m sorry you’re still having trouble with it... Like Miki said, you should double check the rotary valve timing.

I’ll say though, that still sounds like a carb problem to me... You don’t want to troubleshoot without the airbox on, as it will change the “signal” to the carb and make it run with a different fuel/air mixture than it normally would.

Did you pressure test both the carb and the fuel pump when you rebuilt them? The fuel inlet should hold 10psi pretty much indefinitely with the outlet plugged. You can actually pressure test the carbs with them installed by pressurizing the inlet on the mag carb and plugging the return line. The fuel pump should hold about 3psi indefinitely as well. If either of those tests fail, you’ll have to go back in and figure out what isn’t sealing. I’ve had some problems with fuel pump diaphragms not sealing well recently, and that is a possibility here although it’s not really probable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back