Hydro-Turf or Black Tip??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

can128

As some of you are aware, I just recently purchased a 1996 GTX and will be doing various upgrades over the next couple months, some mechanical, some cosmetic; one of which will be replacing my seat covers and installing traction mats. As far as the seat cover goes, I will most likely be going with BlackTip simply because I have seen them in person and love the green colour combination they offer for my ski. I am still a little up in the air when it comes to the traction mats. If anyone has any opinions or pictures to help lean me toward either Hydro-Turf or BlackTip traction mats, I would appreciate the input.

Below is a pic of the seat cover I'm looking to purchase from BlackTip.

Attachments

• 108BT104t.jpg
    108BT104t.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 69
I bought new Blacktip mats for my 99GSX last Nov on black Friday. I installed them this past April. They are nice but I was surprised to see that they were on the harder side, not soft. I've never seen Hydroturf up close but I've heard it's softer. If I ever replace the mat on my 96 GTX I'm going with HydroTurf to compare.

Here are some pics of the GSX....new mats first then 2 of the old mats

new mats right-13.JPG
...new mats stern-12.JPG...new mats-11.JPG...old mats-2.JPG....old mats-3.JPG

That was actually my main concern between the two... I would much rather prefer a softer surface if possible.

If anyone has any input on the rigidity of Hydro-Turf please feel free to chime in.

I will say this, I have never used Hydro, but the Black Tips are hard, but....... I did notice that with my two skis sitting in the sun the black tip has softened. I have the Black tip diamond plate on my XP and my HX, I ride bare foot and I was not uncomfortable in any way. I think it gets down to your preference. Seeing all the two tone Hydro, I would probably opt for that. I was trying to keep the costs down while building my skis and scoring the BT on Black Friday like SDB was an easy way for me to save some cash. I'm not upset with my BT at all, again, I think it's all preference on which "cut" you like.

597.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The molded blacktip are harder but the cut groove foam are about the same as hydro turf.

Sounds about right. I'm kind of leaning toward the BT simply because I wouldn't mind having the logo on my seat cover that I will be ordering match the logo on the traction mats.

Does anyone know of any sales or specials that usually arise when it comes to these?

Sounds about right. I'm kind of leaning toward the BT simply because I wouldn't mind having the logo on my seat cover that I will be ordering match the logo on the traction mats.

Does anyone know of any sales or specials that usually arise when it comes to these?

I say use hydroturf. It is a way better product all around, from the adheisive they use to the mat material. They even cut the mats to size better. I have used both and will only use hydroturf on my personal skis. I have had zero problems with hydroturf and a couple issues with bt. I had a blacktip set come completely up with in 3 months and it did not even see water yet.

Blacktip is cheaper but if you order through hydroturf directly at hydroturf.com there is a special instructions option at check out. In that section type in

Seadoo forum member 15% discount and then your forum name.

You will not see the discount right away but they enter your info manually and you will see the discount when they charge your card.

Make sure to get the psa.

wcss usually does a big sale on blacktip and other stuff for black friday/cyber monday, other than that, just sign up for the emails and check the sales when they come. i combined free shipping with their $5 off every $50 deal on an aqua step for the gtx with a total of about $25 in savings.

I just put the blacktip mats on the gtx from last year's black friday sale, and last night started pulling the seat cover off the xp to put the seat cover on.

here's the gtx after i did the mats and added a blacktip decal.
107.jpg

I have had both Black Tip and Hydro-Turf mats over the years (oddly both on the same ski). The Hydro-Turf are softer (at least at first), but they also seemed to wear out pretty quickly. I have only had the Black Tip mats on my GS for a couple months. They seem to have softened up some since putting them on, but are still more firm than the Hydro-Turf. They are not uncomfortable by any means. Fit and finish of the mats seems just fine. Just my .02

Some Blacktip mats I put on a GTI. The seat cover isn't a Blacktip. I can't remember where I got it? I think of Ebay?

108.jpg

I have hydroturf on both my xps. I have the cut groove and the diamond. Love them both. The diamond has been on there for 4 years supposedly ( it was on the ski when purchased) it still looks really good with no signs of fading. I recomend hydroturf simply because I beleive it to be a better product, and theyre a forum sponsor.

I have both brands,both are cut groove. I don't have a favorite between the 2.they are just about the same.just my .02 worth.

I seem to be finding mixed opinions. Eyes closed, won't be able to tell a difference... Ill probably end up going with whoever saves me a bit of $$$

When purchasing off the Hydro Turf website it asks if you would like the option of PSA adhesives... Should I be selecting yes or no to this?

Purchase your Hydro-turf through www.PWCMuscle.com and enter promo code HYDRO15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.

The PSA is the 3M tape option. I would advise to select yes on this.

It makes it so the turf is just a giant sticker. All you have to do is peal it and stick it down. No extra adhessive needed and it sticks super well. Highly recomend the pressure sensative adhessive (PSA)

So I just ordered my custom seat cover and HT mats with the PSA. Everything came out to $300 and I save $40 using the promo code HYDRO15 (thanks hfgreg!) Shipping kind of put a damper on everything but I'm still happy with my purchase!

When removing the factory OE mats or whatever you want to call them, what have you used to fill in the rivet holes? Or is there a How to on the forum for installing Hydro from start to finish?

When removing the factory OE mats or whatever you want to call them, what have you used to fill in the rivet holes? Or is there a How to on the forum for installing Hydro from start to finish?

5 min epoxy... I did not have any when I just installed my Blacktip mats so I used silicone. I pushed the tip into the hole and filled the hole, wiped away the excess with acetone and made sure there was no silicone residue left that would impede the adhesion of the psa. The silicone will will cure from the hole on the inside of the hull. Worked great but would use the epoxy

I just had another set of blacktip mats start peeling up in the corners, I will post pictures soon. blacktip is junk or they just rushed something with the black Friday sale.

How long did you have them on? Assuming cleaned with acetone, used a roller for pressure and let sit for 12-24 hours? Hope my set does not start to peel as well!

I'll post my pics tonight, friggin' Black tips were peeling up today. First time the ski has sat outside with the cover on with water in the wells. They will be getting a phone call on Monday to find out what they will do, if not, Hyrdo here I come! So much for having matching mats on my toys.

And here it is, only been on a few months and has been in the garage the whole time. This is the first time that it has been outside and it has rained on it. Bummer. I do have a cut sheet I can copy it from and then do hydro over the winter.

201.jpg

202.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back