1996 gti won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Mperk1824

I have had a 1996 sea doo gti for the past couple of years. It always ran and started good but still had the factory grey fuel lines, so my plan was to replace them all at the begging of this season. So here's the order of everything I did: Started it first with all the old lines in it and it started great as it usually does (minus a jump of the battery because it was old and dead). Next I sprayed it down really well with a pressure washer, inside and out. I then tore into it all, replacing all of the lines one at a time to be sure it was all correct and also cleaning the carbs while I was in it and using a mikuni rebuild kit to assure they were in top shape. Then i went out and bought a new battery for it and started it again, but this time with the hose hooked up to it. It took alittle longer to start but I expected this as all the fuel system was empty. I did the correct procedure as in ski on, water on then water off, ski off. Somehow from this, I ended up hydro locking the motor which I don't understand and it also wasn't idling as it normally does while I had it hooked up. I've hydro locked a ski before so I knew to take out the plugs and let all the water shoot out as much as possible, then dumped alittle bit of oil into each cylinder and finally got it started again after slowly firing alittle at a time. I ran it for a couple seconds but didnt hook the water up so not too long. I dropped it into the river to test ride it next and it was really hard to start again. Like it would only fire alittle bit at a time and seemed to need alot of throttle but finally got it going. I rode it for about a half an hour with no issues other than the idling part again, it just would die if you let off for too long, but it was fine in the mid and top end. And now to the present time, I took it home and really can't get it to start up again. It will turn over and fire slightly, but only if the throttle is being held wide open. It has spark, but for some reason if i spray any starting fluid in a cylinder or fuel it doesn't seem to fire right away like it should or I would expect. So I don't know if its something to do with the spraying of the engine compartment with the pressure washer, the mysterious hydro lock, or the messing with of the fuel system but something clearly got messed up and im looking for any suggestions on what to check or try. Thanks in advance!

Did you put in new needles and seats when you rebuilt the carbs?
Did you reuse the carb springs or use new ones from the kits?
Are you sure they are 100% Genuine Mikuni parts?

Yes I put in new needled and seats along with the new springs from the kit. I'm pretty sure they're Mikuni, I bought the kits from the local dealer for top dollar and the kits had Mikuni labels all over them so I doubt they're fake. I did also take them all apart again to assure everything inside the carbs were truly clean and in the proper place. Could some sort of a weak spark be the issue somehow? I've never had a two-stroke not fire when I put some gas down the cylinder like this case (I did put new plugs in the ski as well after the hydro lock)

" with the new springs from the kit."
They are the wrong springs.
Put the correct 80 gram Black one in and please follow the Carb Rebuild Thread to the letter.

Sounds about right. After having it sit a day, I went to try and start it again before taking the carbs back off and it was all locked up again. I realized now that the carbs are letting fuel dump into the motor and fill up the crank. So I don't think it was ever water in the first place that hydro locked it, but fuel (which solves that mystery). So obviously something is wrong with the needle and seat and hopefully its just the incorrect spring and I'll be back up and running, thanks

Back