How to properly rinse/flush a ski bilge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickname

Hello guys, I was wondering how does one properly flush a bilge on a ski. I'm aware how to flush the exhaust, but not the bilge. Are you suppose to just start spraying the engine compartment with water? Doesn't seem like a good idea, even though i'm aware that it's a watercraft and things can get wet. I just bought the craft last month, and me being so anxious to get on it and go, I never inspected the bilge. Where I have seen some horrors.

unspecified.jpg Seen here. The oil filter canister. So much corrosion on it it's unbearable.

unspecified-1.jpg Some more pictures of this mess

Back onto topic. Can someone explain where I can rinse or fill with some marine anti corrosion stuff and drive around with it on the trailer to slosh it all around?

I ride in Salt Water, so I wash EVERYTHING. I use my pressure washer and spray the engine and bilge with low pressure soap and clean it out with my pressure washer.

I was told by the dealer, when I bought my ski, to rinse the inside with fresh water--don't directly spray a hard stream on the motor--and every so often use the salt away stuff. That's what I do although I've only had my ski a week. ;)

My friend's neighbor had 2 skis ruined (motors) because the oil filter canister corroded so badly the oil dumped into the bilge. He wasn't taking care of the inside and didn't notice it until the motors seized. You might want to look at replacing that canister.

I was told by the dealer, when I bought my ski, to rinse the inside with fresh water--don't directly spray a hard stream on the motor--and every so often use the salt away stuff. That's what I do although I've only had my ski a week. ;)

My friend's neighbor had 2 skis ruined (motors) because the oil filter canister corroded so badly the oil dumped into the bilge. He wasn't taking care of the inside and didn't notice it until the motors seized. You might want to look at replacing that canister.

oh yeah, i'm looking into finding a new canister. problem is with the IS deck, you need to unbolt the top deck to get to the insides.

One of three reasons I'll not own a suspension ski. To hard to service anything. Many will not for that reason meaning they will not be maintained and cleaned as they should be.

While it is still apart after doing your repair get some super clean (purple bottle) and spray the inside of the hull, engine and everywhere. Let it set for a few minutes and wash it out. Some people use a Pressure washer. Personally I use a spray nozzle on my garden hose. That stuff is amazing.

One of three reasons I'll not own a suspension ski. To hard to service anything. Many will not for that reason meaning they will not be maintained and cleaned as they should be.

This is what kept me from buying a suspension ski as well. That, the sand and I ride in Salt/Brackish water almost exclusively.

I use the spray nozzle on my garden hose every time after riding. I use Salt Away every other time. When it needs it, I will use either a multi-surface engine cleaner or, Power Purple. Also, I set my Jetski up on my aluminum ladder for all cleaning work. This forces everything to drain from the bilge quite well. GTR215.jpg

Salt water... YUCK!!

Fresh water only for me. I've owned PWC and boats since around 1980 and not one of them has been used in saltwater and I never had anything look like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back