93 GTS Crank No Start after fuel filter clean. Ran great before.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

vert

1993 Seadoo GTS. The ski has been running great this season after purchasing last fall. All routine maintenance up to date. Carburator rebuilt with Mikuni parts. Black fuel lines. Decided to clean the fuel filter/water separator today. Unscrewed the canister and cleaned it all. Wasn't too dirty anyway. Verified the o-ring was OK and screwed it back on tight. Went back to start and it cranks but won't catch or start at all.

- Compression seems to be good at around 135 on both cylinders.

- Spark plugs are new, properly gapped and firing. Added about a teaspoon of premix in each cylinder but it still just cranks and won't start. Tried adding the premix directly into the carb/throttle body with the air filter off. Same result.

- Disconnected the fuel line at the (single) carb. Gas seems to be flowing when cranking. Switching to reserve it flows real fast.

- Took the fuel filter off a couple of times. Each time it's full with fuel. Tightened securely.

- Tried different spark plugs. Same result.

- Took the carb off and inspected. Clean, no issues.

- With the air filter off I can see that gas is flowing/mixing with the air in the carb. With choke on and cranking gas mixture is flying out of the throttle body.

- Engine WILL START for less than a second if I take the plugs out, crank the engine, put the plugs back in and crank again. After that split second start, it will just continue to crank.

Like I said, it was running great before I decided to clean the fuel filter. I started it right before doing this maintenance and it fired right up.
Any ideas? All help is appreciated.

Edit: additional testing in bold.

Last edited:
Did you account for the time it will take to recharge the lines with fuel after you cleaned everything? I would take the return line off the carb, remove spark plug wires and ground them to arrestors, crank it over and see if you get fuel coming out. If not, there is an issue in the line or carbs.
If you are getting gas . I would take the "in" line for gas tank and run it directly in a can of gas/oil mix and see if it cranks, that will also tell you if it is carbs or the line.

* I'm not very familiar with your carb setup, I'm going off what mine has (98). Try what matches your configuration.

Did you account for the time it will take to recharge the lines with fuel after you cleaned everything? I would take the return line off the carb, remove spark plug wires and ground them to arrestors, crank it over and see if you get fuel coming out. If not, there is an issue in the line or carbs.
If you are getting gas . I would take the "in" line for gas tank and run it directly in a can of gas/oil mix and see if it cranks, that will also tell you if it is carbs or the line.

* I'm not very familiar with your carb setup, I'm going off what mine has (98). Try what matches your configuration.
I can definitely try these tests. I've updated my original post in bold with more troubleshooting done today trying to rule out fueling issues.

It's running!

Did the return line test as suggested - fuel was coming out. Did the "in" line test with a piece of clear tubing running into a premix bottle - the ski started right up!

After shutting it down I took the black line that goes from the tank to the "in" on the carb and blew into it both on regular and reserve fuel switch setting. Heard the bubbles in the tank.

Put it all back together and now it starts every time and runs on a water hose just fine.

OK, so while I'm glad it's working I'm still not sure what happened in the first place and how did I "fix" it? All I did was blow into that line - did I dislodge something that was blocking the fuel flow that somehow got stirred up when I took the fuel filter out to clean it?

And why wasn't it running when I poured premix directly into the carb?

I'll take it out on the water to make sure it runs fine but this whole situation doesn't give me a lot of confidence, since I really don't know what happened and what was "fixed". Because of that I'm somewhat hesitant to go any distance away from the dock... and that sucks.

Great to hear. I have done the same thing. Taken something apart, put it back together and presto...it was working. Sometimes it is the small stuff that gets in the way. Only thing I would say is look in your gas tank and make sure it isnt dirty. Check that filter as much as you can for a few rides. Ride it wide open for a bit and it should be good to go.

It's running!

Did the return line test as suggested - fuel was coming out. Did the "in" line test with a piece of clear tubing running into a premix bottle - the ski started right up!

After shutting it down I took the black line that goes from the tank to the "in" on the carb and blew into it both on regular and reserve fuel switch setting. Heard the bubbles in the tank.

Put it all back together and now it starts every time and runs on a water hose just fine.

OK, so while I'm glad it's working I'm still not sure what happened in the first place and how did I "fix" it? All I did was blow into that line - did I dislodge something that was blocking the fuel flow that somehow got stirred up when I took the fuel filter out to clean it?

And why wasn't it running when I poured premix directly into the carb?

I'll take it out on the water to make sure it runs fine but this whole situation doesn't give me a lot of confidence, since I really don't know what happened and what was "fixed". Because of that I'm somewhat hesitant to go any distance away from the dock... and that sucks.
Maybe you had weak contact on the plugs or something and removing the cables to prime and reinstalling helped?

Great to hear. I have done the same thing. Taken something apart, put it back together and presto...it was working. Sometimes it is the small stuff that gets in the way. Only thing I would say is look in your gas tank and make sure it isnt dirty. Check that filter as much as you can for a few rides. Ride it wide open for a bit and it should be good to go.
I did see a few pieces of what looked like small black rubber when I drained the return line into a clear plastic bottle. I like your trick of using an auxilary premix directly into the "in" carb. Will definitely make a mental note for the future!

I did see a few pieces of what looked like small black rubber when I drained the return line into a clear plastic bottle. I like your trick of using an auxilary premix directly into the "in" carb. Will definitely make a mental note for the future!
I cant take much credit, I learned it here on the forum too. There are a lot of smart people who will hello you as much as they can.....
as far as the black rubber bits, might want to inspect the hose(s), make sure they are not breaking down on you.

Might be a good winter time project. The lines are black but from 1993 based on what's stamped on them. Any idea on length and type of lines to buy? Saw some people doing clear tubing instead of black too. From what I've read about 20' of automotive 1/4" lines would do the whole thing?

20' of standard black automotive 1/4" fuel line. Don't buy fuel injection hose or the clear stuff.
You don't need to replace the vent lines.

The link is fine for the Amazon Canada site.
Is the general consensus to replace the original fuel lines from 1993 along with the fuel selector valve even if the ski runs and performs great with these 30 year old parts? I would be buying non-oem (that look like OEM, i.e. metal fuel selector...) replacements from Amazon.

Is the general consensus to replace the original fuel lines from 1993 along with the fuel selector valve even if the ski runs and performs great with these 30 year old parts? I would be buying non-oem (that look like OEM, i.e. metal fuel selector...) replacements from Amazon.
Just my opinion but if your replacing the fuel selector I would purchase it from seadoowarehouse or OSD Marine. Amazon is great for fuel line and clamps maybe, little things buy the made in China electrical components and fuel components I would stay away from. If your ski is running great, not running away or bogging i don’t feel you have to replace the selector valve but if you have grey fuel lines they need to go, really surprised it runs correctly with them

Just my opinion but if your replacing the fuel selector I would purchase it from seadoowarehouse or OSD Marine. Amazon is great for fuel line and clamps maybe, little things buy the made in China electrical components and fuel components I would stay away from. If your ski is running great, not running away or bogging i don’t feel you have to replace the selector valve but if you have grey fuel lines they need to go, really surprised it runs correctly with them
All fuel/vent lines are black. They look good but they do have "93" stamped on them so I assumed they are from 1993, same year as the ski. Were all lines originally grey in the early 90s from Seadoo? If so maybe mine are replacements and "93" has nothing to do with the year?

I'm asking about the lines and the fuel selector because the ski runs great now and I generally follow if it ain't broke... rule. But I don't mind preventative maintenance if it truly minimizes the risk of getting stranded out on the water.

All fuel/vent lines are black. They look good but they do have "93" stamped on them so I assumed they are from 1993, same year as the ski. Were all lines originally grey in the early 90s from Seadoo? If so maybe mine are replacements and "93" has nothing to do with the year?

I'm asking about the lines and the fuel selector because the ski runs great now and I generally follow if it ain't broke... rule. But I don't mind preventative maintenance if it truly minimizes the risk of getting stranded out on the water.
I mean you do as you see fit of course but I’m of the sane mindset, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Preventative maintenance is great, proper winterization, fog cylinders, change small oil lines every 15 or 20 years but yeah I don’t go changing stuff if it’s all working great. Lol, my great grandfather owned a garage, He would always say that to me if I wanted to change the plugs, wires cap and rotor on my car or something as a kid.

And yes, I don’t believe the 93 stamped on the fuel line is the year of the line. For the most part I think they all pretty much came with those grey tempo lines which I would think should be pretty much all changed out by now

Seadoo changed to the infamous Gray Tempo lines around 95’ish and those absolutely need to be replaced. 93’ could definitely be the year of manufacture on those.
For the black ones, that is up to you but ask yourself how many 30 year old rubber parts do you trust to not fail when exposed to heat and fuel.
It’s cheap and easy insurance for another 20 years.

Seadoo changed to the infamous Gray Tempo lines around 95’ish and those absolutely need to be replaced. 93’ could definitely be the year of manufacture on those.
For the black ones, that is up to you but ask yourself how many 30 year old rubber parts do you trust to not fail when exposed to heat and fuel.
Did not know that, definitely good points, only 40.00 worth of good fuel line.

I snagged a new old stock OEM fuel selector on eBay for $15 shipped and 25' of good quality fuel line (Continental brand) on Amazon for $23 so there's that! Appreciate all the comments!

I'd be curious to see if this might also solve one issue I still have where it takes longer to crank and start after sitting in the water for a while vs. nice quick starts within a couple of minutes from shut off. For example, after I ride out to a spot and say fish for 15 minutes and then try to start it will crank for a while before starting. No such issues if I shut off and restart right away. Probably unrelated but would be nice to get that last issue get squared away somehow.

It actually says '1993' on them so it's a safe bet these fuel lines are 30 years old...

Attachments

• PXL_20230820_130914652.jpg
    PXL_20230820_130914652.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 10
"Runs great on a hose but dies in the water..." That's what I got now. Replaced fuel lines, fuel selector, oil filter, took out and cleaned fuel tank and oil tank, filled with correct oil/bled the system. Starts, idles and revs great on a hose.

Took it out on the water today. Ski started right up and I adjusted the idle to around 1,500 rpms. Gave it throttle and it was trying to rev up and then would rev down. Made it 50 feet and it would stall out/start/throttle/stall out. After a minute of this it wouldn't start at all.

Took it out of the water and it started on the trailer just fine. Ran in at the house on a hose and all's good.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Back