1997 Seadoo GTI Spark, Gas, Won't Run!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I honestly think I spend more time working on these things then riding them šŸ¤£

I was riding my 97 GTI at the lake last week and everything was going good. It's always started right away. Has the classic GTI key issue were it runs good then will abruptly die... remove the key and re-insert and it fires right back up. Well at the lake last week it died, removed key and reinserted... No go. It cranks over but won't start. Thought maybe the grey gas lined plugged up the carb so I started to order parts....

Ordered new fuel lines, fuel selector, fuel filter, and key post. Installed everything today and it still won't fire up. I've double checked the fuel lines several times, the fuel filter is filling with gas and gas is making it back to the carb. With the spark plugs removed I can see a little buff of fuel when I crank it over. I did take the carb apart and cleaned everything up twice. Blew air through it with an air compressor. I believe the fuel system is fine.

With the spark plugs removed and grounded I see a spark when I crank the motor. I'm lost on what to do next. I'm starting to think it wasn't a fuel problem that started all this. It was running, then just died. Seems like fuel would be more gradual.

Any ideas on what to try next? I thought about replacing the MPEM. Not sure how I can have fuel and spark and this thing won't start!

Just did a compression test when the motor is cold (obviously since it won't start) and both cylinders read about 95 PSI. This seems low but it's strange that both cylinders would read the same PSI. I assume when a cylinder goes that one goes at a time.

I would use another compression tester.
Do you get two beeps when you connect the lanyard?

No, at 95 psi it won't even start. 150psi is perfect and at 120 they are done.
Try another tester.

You need to replace the beeper to know if it is recognizing the lanyard or not. It is also your overheating alarm.

If we assume your fresh 97' is actually 150 like it should be then the tester is 25 psi low.
That would make the GTI 120 psi which means it is done. IF the gauge is accurate then they both have issues.

If it was mine, I would try another gauge before doing anything else.

To do it correctly, that means new remanufactured crankshaft, new seals, oversized pistons and rings with cylinders bored oversized to match and rebuild the carbs and fuel system.

Back