2012 Seadoo Challenger 180 Overheating at WOT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

poplawchuk

Hello all, I'm really hoping someone can give me some insight into the overheating issue I've been chasing on my boat for the past two years. The issue started when the boat only had 100 hours on it, after going wide open throttle for about 10 mins, the engine temperature climbs until it throws an engine overheat warning and code p0217. You can run all day at 3/4 throttle and it runs on the hot side but no issues. It definitely is overheating, it was verified with an infrared thermometer. I started with the basics, did a coolant flush, plugs , cleaned injectors and oil change. Made no difference. I changed the water pump housing which had the thermostat in it, as well as inspected the pump and it looked good. Made no difference. Then I brought it to the dealer, they had it for two months and said they couldn't figure out what the issue was they checked fuel pressure, compression, leak down. In the end they said it was either head gasket or oil cooler. But they couldn't work on it because now it was sled season and they didn't have time. So this year I found a local shop I can trust, they have checked the ride plate, done the head gasket and oil cooler and it is still the same. They aren't too sure where to go from here and have never seen this before. I have seen some posts of people experiencing the same issue with the same boat and in the end there was no resolution posted.

Couple of questions, then a comment:

1.. What is the temp of the water you are running in? What is the air temp as well?
2.. What RPM are you at at WOT?

Now for my comment...

I would never run at WOT for 10 minutes straight, so I have no idea if my machine would overheat under those conditions, but I also live in Canada with air and water temps that would be a significant thermal difference against the ride plate.

I do run WOT sometimes, but for short periods of a min or so.

No engine is designed to run WOT for 10 mins straight and my guess is the ride plate depending on the water temp is unable to dissipate enough heat under these conditions.

My 2 cents, others may want to chime in.

Back