Looking to buy my first SeaDoo - 2004 GTI or 2002 GTX 155

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

viper12161

Hey folks!

Looking to buy my first Jetski and wondering if I could get some input. The two that I am currently looking at are a 2004 SeaDoo GTI which is a 2 stroke and a 2002 SeaDoo GTX 155 which is a 4 stroke. So far, I have only seen the 2004 in person, but just visual and did not hear it run yet. (I will before final purchase) Seems like a solid ski, but cosmetically is a bit meh. Seat will definitely need to be recovered as it had a hole currently covered by duct tape. Graphics are a bit scratched but didn't really see anything glaring or broken, black plastic parts are dull. It is a very basic ski though. No mirrors, only has a fuel gauge. There is a spot for another gauge like a tach, but it has a stock black SeaDoo cover over it, so I'm assuming maybe an option to add one but wasn't included in that package? Advantage is I have some mutual friends with the seller. And one of my friends has actually ridden the ski and said it was fun and comfortable. It is also literally 3 minutes from my house. Jet pump was just replaced back in May of 2022 and he showed me all the paper work for it and he said maintained by a marine mechanic the whole time he had it. The 2002 looks to be a very nice ski from pictures I have seen. Definitely has more options. Mirrors, multiple gauges and really nice looking. Owner said some scratches and gel chips here and there, but nothing not expected on a 20 year old ski. Down side is it's about an hour away, and I know nothing about this seller. He has been very responsive and offered to and answered any questions I had. I am going to see and hear it run tomorrow. Overall so far, the 2002 is a better looking ski, and has more bells and whistles But 2004 is 2 years newer ( but doesn't look it) and is 2 stroke. The 2002 is $300 cheaper than the 2004. So, I guess I am looking for any additional input anyone can give me on either of these models that I should be aware of? Sorry for the long story lol, and appreciate any insight.

Thanks!!!!

Yep, went and saw it the other day. That is the one I am going with. Overall very nice looking. Engine sounded good. Picking her up Wednesday.

Good choice. The 155 engine is very good and will likely last many more years, if it has been cared for - and seems it has. Enjoy your new ski.

I personally would of went for the gti decent power single carb no bells and whistles good rough water hull and cheap to do a motor.2002 had rocker arm problems and and the opas tubes tend to leak if they are still attached.drive shaft pto bearing also was a problem on the 4 tec.for a first ski the gti would be a better choice imo

The obvious choice is the 155 four stroke. Just look at the volume of old two stroke questions... and basically terminal problems listed on this forum. I could see you fixing one up if you already owned it, or got it for free, but why would you EVER buy one used? I have a 2003 GTX 4-TEC 155 (bought new) and it still runs like new. If that 2002 has had any decent history of maintenance (which you may not be able to determine) it could give you years of service. Also... nearly anything on a 155 can be repaired and it should also be very good as far as parts availability goes.
Personally, I would only buy any used ski from a local owner or someone that you know. I have 50+ years of auto and boating experience.

The obvious choice is the 155 four stroke. Just look at the volume of old two stroke questions... and basically terminal problems listed on this forum. I could see you fixing one up if you already owned it, or got it for free, but why would you EVER buy one used? I have a 2003 GTX 4-TEC 155 (bought new) and it still runs like new. If that 2002 has had any decent history of maintenance (which you may not be able to determine) it could give you years of service. Also... nearly anything on a 155 can be repaired and it should also be very good as far as parts availability goes.
Personally, I would only buy any used ski from a local owner or someone that you know. I have 50+ years of auto and boating experience.
I started at a sea doo dealership in 1992 till 2018.then opened my own repair shop.factory trained since 92.i would hands down get a gti 2 stroke.the 717 is one of the most bullet proof motors made.tons and tons of after market parts available.a complete motor from sea doo is still available for 1200 bucks.no computer diagnostics to fix.

A techie/mechanic-type might agree with you. Everyone else would go for the newer 4-stroke.

Back