How To: Adding an in-line filter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
ok got it...
so from out arrow on that under the hood filter/water seperator to carb inlet is the hose that i put the new inline filter on.
i would post a pic of the new filter i got but its in the car. i will post a pic later...i just finished cutting my hose lengths so i will go down and put them in place. will post pics

When you disconnected all the lines, did you label or mark them in any way to redetermine how they go back?

If not, then get a diagram this might help. Not the clearest diagram but here it is.... http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/seadooforums/Seadoo_oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=34&B=18

Look in your manual to get a clearer picture.

yea i labeled them so i know but had to double check thats why i asked where that particular line goes from in/out of that darn under the hood filter. i have the manual but its doesnt even show what goes does in the in or out position

Yes, the water separator I'm referring to is the factory plastic mesh filter. The design of the filter allows water to fall out, and be collected in the bottom of the bowl. It's not a perfect design for water separation, but it will catch a good portion of it, and if you keep you eye on it... you will be able to pour it out before it reaches your engine.

i have a 96 gts use to be my dads but he is giving it to me. i am goin gto add the inline filter but my question is does mine have this water seperator and how often should i be checking it? not to get to far off topic sorry.

thanks. now how often does that need to be checked?

The maintenance chart says to check it every 25 hours. But if you run low on gas you could suck up crap off the bottom of the fuel tank and plug the filter. so basically anytime the ski starts to run rough it would be a thing to check/clean. do not use carb cleaner on the fuel filter, it will melt the mesh. best thing is it just let it soak in Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power. or you could clean with soap and water.

The maintenance chart says to check it every 25 hours. But if you run low on gas you could suck up crap off the bottom of the fuel tank and plug the filter. so basically anytime the ski starts to run rough it would be a thing to check/clean. do not use carb cleaner on the fuel filter, it will melt the mesh. best thing is it just let it soak in Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power. or you could clean with soap and water.

AWESOME thanks my dad bought it used and never got any maint. info or any manuals.

if you become a Premium Member you can download the manuals here. or if you think creatively you can find them elsewhere free. (not being a smarta$$, it's just frowned upon to direct users to other sites)

Just get a big fatty one like shown in post #1.

Ask for one that fits that size of hose, they come in different sizes. Get clear instead of metal so you can see if fuel is filling it.

The Fram G2 or G12 (same filter the G2 comes with short hoses and clamps) is actually made for 5/16" fuel lines but will also work with 1/4".

I thought we were talking about seat covers. :drool5:

Lou

Ok everybody, the babes look great, fantastic, but, as my wife tells her students who flake off subject, lets get back on task.

I went to the dark side two years ago and bought a couple Kawi 1100 STX's. (I did so because Kawi's usually use Doo's for trailers. lol) Back to task Joey!

In my case, Kawi's have a stock in-line 3" clear, plastic barrel type fuel filter installed adjacent to the carbs.

On my first trip to the River this year one of my STX's had a slight hesitation problem. At WOT, in calm water, it would not get above 30 mph, however, when the water was turbulent it would easily get past 40+.

Anyway, I figured the problem lie in the fact that I had stale gas by forgetting to put gas stabilizer in the tank last October, so, to facilitate correcting the problem. I dropped a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank. Since I only had a few hours left on the River I don't think the Sea Foam had time to cure the problem, so I figured when I get home I will change the in-line fuel filter.

My thinking is that my in line fuel filter is bad, so, since that is an easy task to perform I called my local Kawi dealer to get one. When he told me the price was $38 and I replied the price was outrageous, he retorted: "the filter is also a water separator," thus the reason for the high price."

That sounds like baloney to me. IMO, wouldn't all filters act as "water separators?"

Does anyone know?

As pointed out in the first post on this Thread, Dr. Honda related that Sea Doo's have a "water separator," but not a in-line fuel filter which is the subject of Dr. H's Thread. Maybe Kawi is right and Marine filters are built to perform both tasks?

Many filters are coalescer filters. Coalescer filters are more than just a water serpetrator. The screen on the inside is designed to NOT allow water to pass through them. As this happens, the water gathers until it is a drop of water then it falls to the bottom of the filter. At some point, if you have enough water within the filter unit, you will not longer get fuel as the water will stop all flow.

These filters are very common with a removable bowl on bots and ships. All you do is loosen the cap, remove the bowl, dump out the water, any particles and lose a small amount of fuel.

So yes, many filters are water separators...

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Joe:

Wow! Because your response to my question about water separators was impressive, I would like to take this post to another level.

As pointed out in my post which stated in relevant part that Kawi charges $38 for a in-line fuel filter that purports to also be a water separator which IMO was outrageous, the filter looks exactly like any $5 filter that is sold at most auto parts stores,clear, plastic bowl with paper filament placed in the receiving bowl. With that in mind, how can a person know if the filter acts both as a filter and water? Or more to the point, is the filter actually a water separator?

In your summary, it appears you addressed the water separators that are found in most two-stroke Sea Doo models, (maybe the four-strokes also) that are attached vertically, thus, your summary makes sense; as water is accumulated in the bottom of the cylinder gas cannot pass through, so simply unscrew the filter and dump the water out. However, in my case the filter sits horizontally and is un-screwable, but is attached the same as in a motor vehicle. Under this scenario, albeit water would fill the bottom half of the bowl, the top remains empty, so, IMO, designing a water separator in such a circumstance would make no sense.

Just some thoughts from a retired cop who practices law and has a hobby fiddling with his PWC.

Hi Guys,

AS you may have noticed... I deleted a bunch of posts that had nothing to do with the topic. This is a "How to" thread, and it needs to stay on that subject. If you guys want to talk about other things... then make your own post. (unless you want more info on putting a secondary filter in a seadoo)

This has to be the easiest mod in the world to do! Used the F20011, super simple. I put mine right near the oil line filter.

I have never noticed a water separator on my boat.? I know it has the inline ones but I don't recall ever seeing anything in the service manual or parts fiche that shows one. Is it only on certain models?

I have never noticed a water separator on my boat.? I know it has the inline ones but I don't recall ever seeing anything in the service manual or parts fiche that shows one. Is it only on certain models?

On the 99's... they got away from the serviceable filter/separator... and they went with a simple in-line from the factory.

On the 99's... they got away from the serviceable filter/separator... and they went with a simple in-line from the factory.

On the 97 challenger 1800 where is the water separator that keeps being mentioned? I can't remember seeing anything like the one posted a few threads back. I'm going to add the Purolator F20011 but want to check the separator at the same time.
Thanks

I just left my local Mercury dealer and am confused a bit. I was looking for a fuel filter for my 2001 challenger. He didn't have one in stock. I asked him if there was a similar one for a Mercury outboard or if I could use an automotive in line filter. He tells me that my motor is considered an inboard and that there is a federal law which prohibits the use of plastic or outboard filters on an inboard motor. He said there is a specific open flame burn through time which only a metal filter specifically made for an inboard can withstand. Does anybody know if this is true?

Which end does the hose that leads to the on/off/reserve gas switch go to, top or bottom? (as shown in my pic)

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_123321.jpg
    IMG_20200713_123321.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
Back