Why you should change your oil right after break-in period....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Freakaccident

So I changed the oil in my 2024 Fish Pro today at 12 hours. Here are a couple of pics. The first pic shows the oil and filter. Oil and filter after 12 hours and fresh oil and filter. The other pic is the tools and supplies I used for the oil change. Just shows that you shouldn't wait as the manual suggests.

Attachments

• IMG20240317155939.jpg
    IMG20240317155939.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG20240317160354.jpg
    IMG20240317160354.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 27
Whoa..

I let my oil go for 2 season without a change and it was similarly as dark. Makes me think I should change it every 20 hours.

Last edited:
Yep plus the amount of metal shavings in the oil I don’t want that in my motor for the 10 plus hours the manual recommends

Skiasylum is right. Oil color is no indication of oil health. For proper analysis of your oil (taking out the guess work and conjecture), you need to take a sample and send it to the lab. Reports at Blackstone Labs are $35.00. Here's a report I collected from a recently rebuilt MINI Cooper 1.6L engine with 500 miles on the oil. Notice in the comments "wash out". Meaning more frequent oil changes are required to "wash out" the wear metals as the engine breaks in. Sea-Doo isn't worried about it because your warranty is 1 or maybe 2 years.

Also notice that my wear metal levels are high for 500 miles considering the universal averages in the far right column are for samples taken at 5100 miles. I just resampled yesterday at 3000 miles on the oil (2d sample). It will be interesting to see if my wear metal levels have gone down.

oil sample.JPG

Back