Oil Questions 2012 challenger 180 se supercharged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hi All,

Likely over thinking this but the manual is confusing. Will be changing oil before the season starts. Don’t want to ruin a nice running engine.

See pic attached, Manual states:

1) XPS 4-STROKE SYNTH. BLEND OIL (SUMMER) (P/N 293 600 12)

Which appears to be a semi synth/blend 5w40.

2) Then the manual goes on to say if that xps is not available to use a mineral 10w40, vs 5w40.

3) Then further states do not use synthetic oil. I assume they mean not to use “full synthetic” here.

I assume xps 5w40 as per the part number is ideal? 4 tec 260hp supercharged.

edit: q about oil qty. Manual had it on another page: 3liters 3.2qt
Spark plugs: NGK DCPR8E

Though the oil filter doesn’t seem to be specified (“dealer should replace”) anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_7867.jpeg
    IMG_7867.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It takes just under 3qt as long as you siphon everything out properly and roll the engine over and siphon more once it’s at the bottom. Either use the synthetic blend mentioned or amsoil makes one in a blue bottle they is compatible with the supercharged 4 Tec. You just can’t use a standard full synthetic oil or any blend that doesn’t have the additives to ensure the clutches in the supercharger don’t slip. Very important to only use compatible oil.

It takes just under 3qt as long as you siphon everything out properly and roll the engine over and siphon more once it’s at the bottom. Either use the synthetic blend mentioned or amsoil makes one in a blue bottle they is compatible with the supercharged 4 Tec. You just can’t use a standard full synthetic oil or any blend that doesn’t have the additives to ensure the clutches in the supercharger don’t slip. Very important to only use compatible oil.
Turn the engine over for a few seconds when oil is emptied?

And so 5w40 or 10w40 has no real bearing more that it’s got the right additives etc. ? I’m confident I can get that xps oil specified regardless just thought the manual is a little confusing on that point.

image.jpg

Weight doesn’t matter as much but usually the stuff you buy for these is 10w40 if I recall. Here’s the stuff I’ve been using and it’s done well for 2 seasons.

It’s a little freaky to turn the engine over without oil, but the procedure calls for it so it all gets pumped out. Just unplug the coil packs on the engine so it doesn’t start of course.

Back