Guys.....Check your VTS systems!!!!!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slug-O

I really do take good care of my 2005 RXP and I was blown away when I had my VTS go out on me. When I got home I took a look behind the waterproof cover to find this!!!!!!!!!WOW. Turns out the seal above the pump has a home alowing saltwater to come in and destroy the pump....This is an FYI post for everyone...Dont let this happen to you!!!!!

14efd513.jpg

ca1d0243.jpg

Is this the case that Lou drills a little drain hole to let water run out?

Slug-O, do you sub the ski a lot? Otherwise how would water get inside the motor housing?
Just asking since i don't have a VTS system in my ski.

you need to change your bellows($8 part) every 2 years, they crack and let water in and this is what it looks like, ruins either the module or the motor. I change all my customers vts boots every other year during winterizing and most still have the stock module and vts motor still working even from the 90s.

drilling a hole in the housing is not the answer, the solution is to keep the system sealed and not let water in.

slug-o, did you ever change your bellows?

No I had not changed them as I had not seen this or heard of this problem before. I use my ski for offshore fishing and I get very wet alot of the time. I wil chock this up to learning and go from there..off subject but I feel the need to brag on the big cobia I caught the last trip out.
8d7fa2c5.jpg

Hi Slug-O
Sorry to hear about your VTS drive unit - saltwater can be very tough on everything -worse if you can't see what it is doing.
Great setup for off-shore fishing - that cobia would have been great fun to land from a ski!
Where did you stash it after you landed it or did you release it?
I assume thats your Fishfinder and GPS mounted on that front bar.
I was thinking of a fishfinder mount for my GTX Limited iS 260 - what brand/model are you using?
Greg

Hi Slug-O
Sorry to hear about your VTS drive unit - saltwater can be very tough on everything -worse if you can't see what it is doing.
Great setup for off-shore fishing - that cobia would have been great fun to land from a ski!
Where did you stash it after you landed it or did you release it?
I assume thats your Fishfinder and GPS mounted on that front bar.
I was thinking of a fishfinder mount for my GTX Limited iS 260 - what brand/model are you using?
Greg

I use a fish bag and put the bag in the foot rail like seen in this photo.
c3ad3e57.jpg

Everything is custom made for my ski. On my top bar is my GPS fish finder, VHF radio, compas, and stereo speakers. I am using an hummingbird model.

Out of curiosity, who took the pictures? And, btw, i think that is awesome. I have seen a speedster boat converted into a fishing rig, but not a ski. You do any fishing for Reds and Snook? ...I miss living in FL.

you need to change your bellows($8 part) every 2 years, they crack and let water in and this is what it looks like, ruins either the module or the motor. I change all my customers vts boots every other year during winterizing and most still have the stock module and vts motor still working even from the 90s.

drilling a hole in the housing is not the answer, the solution is to keep the system sealed and not let water in.

slug-o, did you ever change your bellows?

For the record I never advocated drilling a hole in the VTS housing, I simply posed the question.

The best way as ski-d00 said is regular maintenance, change the boot, use waytek plastic clamps, the other thing I do, it's an old mechanics trick, is apply vasoline to the cover seal, to keep water out from the inside.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back