2001 RX Reboot Project – MPEM related question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

thejuice48

Sorry this post is so long, but it is helping me recall what I did.

After looking at new models, hearing about the problems with the new hulls (their nick name sink-doo as well as issues with cleaning products), and the prices for a new ski, I decided to pump money into the one I have bought and paid for (when it was brand new) to get it on the water again. It is old but had always been reliable until I let a dealership touch it.

To be honest, it has not seen the water since 2015. I had it in the garage replacing the VTS motor because I noticed a battery drain, and found a post online somewhere that it was probably caused by the VTS motor. It seemed rational at the time because the VTS was not working at the time.

If I remember correctly (yes, I should have kept notes) I replaced the VTS motor with a used one. After replacing the window regulator motor on my BMW, I realized the VTS motor is basically a window regulator motor, so I probably could have used one I could pick up for $25.00 brand new with a 2 year warranty. It would be great if someone knew the specs so we could do this!!

Before installing, I tested the VTS motor with a 12V battery I had sitting on the side, and it worked both forwards and backwards. The battery on the ski was already disconnected because it was on a trickle charger. I also noticed my 5A MPEM fuse on the MPEM (the one for the MPEM was blown). I installed a EasyID 5A, so I could see if it blew again.

The VTS I removed was locked.

I installed the replacement VTS motor with water proof connectors.

Hooked up the battery, no beep from the DESS. Thought perhaps the buzzer died.

I went to start it and nothing. Put battery on trickle charger, and it never recovered. Took pictures of starter area to see if bad connection. Did not appear damaged or rusty (kept pictures). Bought new battery, never got around to do anything with it so I drained gas for storage purposes and got busy with my Master’s Degree and other projects more important on the list since I moved from a house on the water more inland.

I now have 3 DESS keys in really bad shape – one that even looks like something chewed off pieces. Not sure which two were programmed to it. A ski that has sat for what feels like eons. Still I should receive at least a long beep indicating wrong key. Cats destroyed the cover, the custom seat cover I had on it, and the hydroturf I installed when I lived in the house on the water with the big garage.

2023-03-07

• Washed crud & mold build up off outside so it won’t be so disgusting to work on
  • Found reverse cable locked & badly frayed (was locked when I fixed VTS, had one sitting in storage)
  • Found steering locked (was crunchy when I replaced VTS motor)
  • Found throttle cable disconnected (don’t recall why)
  • Found choke cable locked
  • Replaced reverse cable
  • Ordered new cover w/3 year warranty
2023-03-08

• Bought PB Blaster & Sea Foam Deep Creep
  • Sprayed choke connectors on carbs, and basically everything inside I could reach, including the throttle cable & let sit
  • Couple of hours later, came back out, choke cable now working (not locked) & throttle cable working, but not smoothly – not auto retracting
  • Searched for a throttle cable online, couldn’t find one
  • Ordered steering cable
  • Ordered reverse handle (screw stripped and brass grommet came out of plastic)
  • Checked 5AMP EasyID fuse manually on the MPEM (for the MPEM). Did not appear blown.
  • Plugged 5AMP EasyID fuse back in and the MPEM made this sad little drawn out pheeew sound.
There is no battery installed / hooked up. There hasn’t been one hooked up since 2015.

Why / how could the MPEM make this sound? Does the MPEM store electricity?

2023-03-10
  • Ordered start/stop and VTS switch covers (noticed cracked)
  • Ordered battery (door to door delivery)
  • Ordered new VTS just in case used one is shorting something out
  • Ordered buzzers (non-OEM)
  • Ordered new starter solenoid just in case
  • Ordered new DESS key (should at least get beep from post)
2023-03-12
  • Installed new/lightly used steering cable
  • "shims" that go in on the cable at the rear to keep the cable from coming through the nut were the wrong ones, but I used the old ones
  • Seated those with some very thick grease so they wouldn't fall out as I was installing the cable with the outer lock nut
  • VTS and buzzers arrived
2023-03-13
  • Start/stop & VTS button covers bad
  • Started to remove grips to inspect actually buttons behind covers & install the covers
  • Bolt head snapped off the bolt going into the retaining clip
  • Grip on this particular side was in bad shape from boat rope chafe, was able to just pull right off.
  • Otherwise I would have cut it off
  • Forced upgrade to more stylish grips
  • New starter solenoid relay should arrive
  • New reverse handle should arrive
2023-03-14
  • Battery should arrive and then the troubleshooting starts
  • New key should arrive

Prior work:

2011-05

• New jetpump
  • New impellar
  • New push thingy inside the impellar
  • New rave valves
  • Removed stickers
  • Buffed / sealed
  • New HydroTurf
  • New seat cover
20??

Perry Performance Group tuning package

New oil pump

New gas lines

New top end x 3

New racing crank

Last edited:
You're gonna have to install the battery and troubleshoot the Dess Post and Keys. It is easy enough to do. Unplug the 3 wire terminal coming from the Dess and check continuity. Test all 3 keys. Even ugly keys work sometimes. :) Make sure the mag harness is plugged in and making good contact. Pull the fuse going to the trim and leave that alone for now. Might even want to disconnect the trim plug. Focus on one problem at a time. Good Luck.

Grip mess.

Attachments

• 20230313_101918.jpg
    20230313_101918.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230313_101939.jpg
    20230313_101939.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230313_102023.jpg
    20230313_102023.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 16
You're gonna have to install the battery and troubleshoot the Dess Post and Keys. It is easy enough to do. Unplug the 3 wire terminal coming from the Dess and check continuity. Test all 3 keys. Even ugly keys work sometimes. :) Make sure the mag harness is plugged in and making good contact. Pull the fuse going to the trim and leave that alone for now. Might even want to disconnect the trim plug. Focus on one problem at a time. Good Luck.
The trim motor was never reconnected. The wires are just hanging.

Today I installed a new starter relay and then the battery arrived. I checked the voltage on the battery and it arrived with 9.5, so I trickle charged it to 13.2 and installed.

After installing, I used one of the old keys that would still attach, and I heard a faint long beep. So I'm assuming it knows the key is not the right one and the DESS post is functional and communicating with the MPEM.

I have another non-programmed key arriving tomorrow, and if it does the same thing, I guess I'll drag the ski down the road to have the keys programmed and go from there.

Sometimes bugs build some kinda cocoon inside the beeper which prevents it from working properly. Should be a nice loud beep that can be heard over the engine running. Sounds like a Plan !! Good Luck !!

Sometimes bugs build some kinda cocoon inside the beeper which prevents it from working properly. Should be a nice loud beep that can be heard over the engine running. Sounds like a Plan !! Good Luck !!
I checked the battery voltage after the beep and the battery was down to 10.3. I went to walk my dogs, came back and checked it again and it's back to 12.9.

Is it possible for a bad buzzer and/or DESS to drain a battery and for it to recover?

Sounds like you have a bad battery. It should never drop below 12V. Most of the skis will not spark below 12V.
I have seen a few new batteries bad out of the box.

Sounds like you have a bad battery. It should never drop below 12V. Most of the skis will not spark below 12V.
I have seen a few new batteries bad out of the box.
If there's a short in the ski, like perhaps a bad buzzer, that could drain power right? And the battery can recover when the drain stops? I'm going to check the voltage of the battery in the morning and see if it dropped at all.

It could drain it over time but a new battery should never drop to 10.3V even when cranking with the starter.
Sitting voltage really doesn't matter, a bad battery will show when under a load.

It's raining right now @ 54 degrees in Florida. Looks like it will stop at 1PM.

So I guess today I should pull the battery and take it to Autozone for testing. Then if it's bad, send the info back to MightyMax for replacement under warranty. Hopefully they'll do a cross ship or have me take it somewhere that honors their warranty locally.

If I remember correctly, I believe this is the same thing that happened before with a brand new wet cell battery.

This ski never had electrical demons before ever. My rear electrical box is spotless as it should be. My MPEM area is spotless as it should be. The attached pic is before installing the new starter relay.

Attachments

• 20230314_121148.jpg
    20230314_121148.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 23
Does anyone happen to know the tool to push out the electrical connectors? I need to get that as well if I'm going to be replacing buzzers and such.

Go to amazon type in electrical pin removal tool... here is one

ST5211 Pin Removal Tool KIT​

I'm not sure the autozone people tested this properly as the guy had no idea how to do it, but the results....

Attachments

• 20230315_123105.jpg
    20230315_123105.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 19
Easy test at home is put a volt meter on the battery and try and crank the ski. If it drops below 12V the battery has issues.

That tool I linked to does all the pins I have ever removed on Seadoo's.

Thank you for all your replies and patience.

I just tested the buzzer straight on the "bad" battery I've been charging and it's as loud as it should be. I basically disconnected the harness, inserted a couple of wires I connected straight to the battery and when inserted into the plug from the buzzer side, it's the normal volume. However, it took the battery down from 12.9 volts to 6.9V.

The problem with the beepers is that the MPEM sends such a small short pulse. So some will work when connected directly to the battery but not when the MPEM sends the signal.

Back