2001 RX Reboot Project – MPEM related question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I pulled the carbs, jb welded the elbow, pressure tested carbs, reinstalled carbs, swapped out batteries because the other one was down to 5V after the cranking, etc.

I started the ski today, it took a bit but of course that's because all the fuel was out of it.

Got it started. It ran.

Shut it down.

Started it again.

Shut it down again using the stop / start button and it shut down then it decided to keep trying to starting itself. So the only thing I could think of was to shut off the gas and remove the red cable from the battery as quickly as I could. The starter just kept kicking over. I may have fried my MPEM by doing so.

When I replaced the battery I cleaned the terminals up with a wire brush because they had a bit of green on them.

I'm guess bad ground? Or the battery I swapped out has something bad? They were both brand new.

How do I go about diagnosing this?

EDIT: I just checked both grounds ( the rear going to the engine, and the front, both are intact, not loose). I also checked the wire going to the starter and it's not loose either.

I replaced the starter solenoid back in March while initially troubleshooting the starting issue.

I'm at my wits end. This ski's new name is Christine.

Last edited:
If you had a bad ground you wouldnt get any power... Your starter solenoid is probably bad, you can test it with a dmm.

I pulled the carbs, jb welded the elbow, pressure tested carbs, reinstalled carbs, swapped out batteries because the other one was down to 5V after the cranking, etc.

I started the ski today, it took a bit but of course that's because all the fuel was out of it.

Got it started. It ran.

Shut it down.

Started it again.

Shut it down again using the stop / start button and it shut down then it decided to keep trying to starting itself. So the only thing I could think of was to shut off the gas and remove the red cable from the battery as quickly as I could. The starter just kept kicking over. I may have fried my MPEM by doing so.

When I replaced the battery I cleaned the terminals up with a wire brush because they had a bit of green on them.

I'm guess bad ground? Or the battery I swapped out has something bad? They were both brand new.

How do I go about diagnosing this?

EDIT: I just checked both grounds ( the rear going to the engine, and the front, both are intact, not loose). I also checked the wire going to the starter and it's not loose either.

I replaced the starter solenoid back in March while initially troubleshooting the starting issue.

I'm at my wits end. This ski's new name is Christine.
I have now tested the DESS post, and starter solenoid, and swapped out the key just in case the prior new one was defective from SBT.

DESS Post testing:

I tested with key on between 2-7 and 2-15 for continuity - passed.

I tested between 2-7 and 2-15 with key off for no continuity - passed.

I tested 2-15 to metal ring for continuity - passed.

I tested what and gray trace to center post for continuity - passed.

I have not hooked the battery up again yet to see if I get a runaway starting issue again. I am hesitant to do so without an on/off so I don't have to worry about frying/shorting anything.

How would a dess post cause your starter to engage on its own? LOL. Its a bad MPEM, starter relay, start/stop switch, or short in wiring between one of those.

Back