Cool !!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dr Honda

I think it's great that seadoo is heading this direction. It's about time they make an affordable ski, with the "Fun" factor of the old ski's.

Tony,

I'm glad you are taking the lead in this. Personally I had never heard of the ACE900 until yesterday. Around here SkiDoo's are about as scarce as hen's teeth. I too am very excited about the new Spark, but at the same time maybe just a little skeptical. I didn't run out a buy an new Chevette either.

I did do just a little research and the engine does appear to be a good one, there were no major complaints about reliability, and I think we should expect to get about 400hrs. maybe even more before a rebuild. I expect companies like SBT will pick up the ball and have rebuilt blocks by the time we are ready for them.

One thing that does concern me is how user friendly are these new ski's going to be to the average shade tree mechanic. I did read on the internet (so it has to be true), that the throttle at least on SkiDoo's is fly by wire, so this means fuel injection, yes? Also what about the electronics on the Spark, I know on new cars about half of the fixes are software upgrades, is this similar? Is the spark going to require frequent trips of the dealership?

I do agree, this is the direction that SeaDoo needed to take, back to the basics, and I am truly excited, that being said, personally I'm glad that SeaDoo released this ski toward the end of the season, it gives us time to truly evaluate before we buy. Also this is a bold move by SeaDoo, they have eight years of R&D in this project, costing millions and I wish them luck, it's going to take a while for BRP to recoup their money. I still can't believe a new ski for less than $5000.00. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou

One thing that does concern me is how user friendly are these new ski's going to be to the average shade tree mechanic. I did read on the internet (so it has to be true), that the throttle at least on SkiDoo's is fly by wire, so this means fuel injection, yes? Also what about the electronics on the Spark, I know on new cars about half of the fixes are software upgrades, is this similar? Is the spark going to require frequent trips of the dealership?

The Spark does use fly-by-wire throttle, and has fuel injection. I'll contact CanDooPro to see if they have anything in the works yet, but a module from them should get you set to work on any diagnostic codes for the engine. We already sell CanDooPro's for most PWCs on PWCMuscle.com. I bet we'll see this Spark as a lot easier to work on than most. They designed it to have easy of maintenance so first time ownership of a PWC was less intimidating.

I was just on www.sea-doo.com and did the payment estimator for a Spark. You can get a 3 up for $6299 with zero down for less than $150 a month for 4 years at the rate of 6%. Not sure what their rate would be but in the end $150 month is not bad at all. That's sweet.

Lou:

Yes... it's EFI with a chipped lanyard. Unfortunately... for the engineers, and EPA... the EFI is the way all this stuff is going to be. But, unlike the DFi or Di systems... it's not a "Convoluted" fuel system, running at crazy pressures. I don't have the real specs yet (probably can find it on the Ski-Doo forums) but it's going to run around 40 psi, and have basic sensors. (TPS, MAP, CPS, and a couple temps) Because of that... the "Shade Tree" mechanic will be able to troubleshoot with just a basic meter, and pressure gauge.

BUT... since this will get the new guys into a new ski, cheap... then we don't have to worry about EFI issues for 6 to 10 years. (lol)

And... as Joe said... you can get the can-doo pro for $300 and be ready to go.

RACERXXX:

I didn't notice that yet. But, for $150 mo... I'll have to go check it out.

This thing is lighter than my XP. I'm starting to think of ways to hang it on the back of the Islandia. (LOL) That way, the girls can go out and swim, and have a place to hang out... and I can go ride a ski. I think my trailer can handle an extra 500 Lbs. (it's 2 axles, with brakes)

Lou:

Yes... it's EFI with a chipped lanyard. Unfortunately... for the engineers, and EPA... the EFI is the way all this stuff is going to be. But, unlike the DFi or Di systems... it's not a "Convoluted" fuel system, running at crazy pressures. I don't have the real specs yet (probably can find it on the Ski-Doo forums) but it's going to run around 40 psi, and have basic sensors. (TPS, MAP, CPS, and a couple temps) Because of that... the "Shade Tree" mechanic will be able to troubleshoot with just a basic meter, and pressure gauge.

BUT... since this will get the new guys into a new ski, cheap... then we don't have to worry about EFI issues for 6 to 10 years. (lol)

And... as Joe said... you can get the can-doo pro for $300 and be ready to go.

RACERXXX:

I didn't notice that yet. But, for $150 mo... I'll have to go check it out.

This thing is lighter than my XP. I'm starting to think of ways to hang it on the back of the Islandia. (LOL) That way, the girls can go out and swim, and have a place to hang out... and I can go ride a ski. I think my trailer can handle an extra 500 Lbs. (it's 2 axles, with brakes)

LOL that would look sweet hangin' off the back of the Yacht! You can get into the 2 up Spark for 72 months for $83 a month--who wouldn't buy one for $83 a month.

Dr. H, or anyone really
Do you think this 900 ACE will have the power like the x-4 skis have. You can sling the x-4s around and if you pin it from a stand still they will literally jump out of the water. Do you think these 2 up 900 ACE HO will compare?

Dr. H, or anyone really
Do you think this 900 ACE will have the power like the x-4 skis have. You can sling the x-4s around and if you pin it from a stand still they will literally jump out of the water. Do you think these 2 up 900 ACE HO will compare?

At this point... it's hard to say, since I didn't ride one.

Power wise... it's more than a 720, and has a little more RPM up top. AND... it's lighter. But, if you are expecting it to have the hit of an 800 power X4... then no... it's not going to be the same.

Dr. H, or anyone really

At this point... it's hard to say, since I didn't ride one.

Power wise... it's more than a 720, and has a little more RPM up top. AND... it's lighter. But, if you are expecting it to have the hit of an 800 power X4... then no... it's not going to be the same.

What about the hit of my 951 GSX, which is also around 400 lbs. I think the spark needs a trim kit to do the jumping from idle I want.

What about the hit of my 951 GSX, which is also around 400 lbs. I think the spark needs a trim kit to do the jumping from idle I want.

Do you have a carbon fiber hull? Your 99 gsx is 531lbs but I am sure it will launch out of the water alot better than the spark lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad. 530lbs.

530/130 = 4.07 lbs per HP.

400/90 = 4.44 lbs per HP

I knew the GSX was less than my XP. which is 560 I think.

The Spark with 951 motor horsepower would be phenomenal. I really hope that's seadoo's next step!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Personally I don't see the Spark in it's current configuration exceeding 110HP, 130HP would really be pushing it, I think anything more than 110HP is going to effect reliability. You're talking 900cc and historically 2-strokes outperform 4-strokes, of the same displacement. Just my opinion.

Lou

Personally I don't see the Spark in it's current configuration exceeding 110HP, 130HP would really be pushing it, I think anything more than 110HP is going to effect reliability. You're talking 900cc and historically 2-strokes outperform 4-strokes, of the same displacement. Just my opinion.

Lou

it's not historical, it's fact. a 2 stroke fires every revolution, by definition, it will generate more power for size. :) of course the 3rd piston helps make up for this as well.

If we look at the RXPX260 at 814 lbs, that's 3.13 lbs to move for every HP

if the spark is 400 lbs and 90 HP that's 4.45 lbs to move for every HP

if the spark was 130 HP, it would be 3.07 lbs to move for every HP.

so, a 130 HP spark, would have a higher power to weight ratio than a RXP-X260 :)

you may never be able to carve a turn like a 800 lb beast, but even at 110-120 HP it would be a hell of a ride!

for consideration, my 560 lb XP at 130 HP has to move 4.3lbs for every HP. (not to mention my fat ass).

The Spark with 951 motor horsepower would be phenomenal. I really hope that's seadoo's next step!
Never, ever going to happen. I'd be surprised if someone even attempts a swap themselves. For the money and time invested, they'd be better off modding the 900 ACE.

it's not historical, it's fact. a 2 stroke fires every revolution, by definition, it will generate more power for size. :)

Less efficiently, mind you...not to mention they aren't tuned for the entire power band. Rave valves are there for a reason!

I know the spark isnt the fasting ski out there, it doesnt have the most power, the most gadgets, or none of that fancy fancy stuff. I dont know about yall, but im just excited to actually be able to afford a 4 stroke ski that will be reliable, fun, and environmentally friendly. :thumbsup:

Never, ever going to happen. I'd be surprised if someone even attempts a swap themselves. For the money and time invested, they'd be better off modding the 900 ACE.

I agree. Besides... the 951 was an poor engine, and seadoo should have gone to 3cyl's for the higher HP ski's. (like Polaris, Tigershark, Wetjet, Kawi, Yamaha.... well... everyone else) It will never be my engine of choice for a swap.

Personally... if I was going to do a ski swap...... I would use a GSX, and stuff a Weber engine in it. You can buy a turbo, 4-stroke, 2-cyl, 180 hp weber in a crate. (Why start with a $5k ski, when a GSX with a bad engine is cheap or free?)

Less efficiently, mind you...not to mention they aren't tuned for the entire power band. Rave valves are there for a reason!

2-strokes aren't about efficiency. They are all about processing a lot of air, and fuel, and turning it into HP, in a small package. (lol)

Personally... if I was going to do a ski swap...... I would use a GSX, and stuff a Weber engine in it. You can buy a turbo, 4-stroke, 2-cyl, 180 hp weber in a crate. (Why start with a $5k ski, when a GSX with a bad engine is cheap or free?)

What is a Weber motor and why is it good for a swap? Beside being a Turbo & 180 HP...nice

I know the spark isnt the fasting ski out there, it doesnt have the most power, the most gadgets, or none of that fancy fancy stuff. I dont know about yall, but im just excited to actually be able to afford a 4 stroke ski that will be reliable, fun, and environmentally friendly. :thumbsup:

This is exactly why the Spark was created.
Entry level with technology. What a concept ???

Guys I never stated I'd like to see a 951 in a spark.. I said I'd like to see 951 level power in the spark. In my opinion a 951 would be a big step backwards. But 130hp in a 400lb hull would be a dream.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Back