Buying Advice on 2013 Seadoo GTI 130

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rshaw

So I've found someone selling a couple 2013 Seadoo GTI 130s and I'm looking for some advice as I've only worked on two stroke seadoos in the past. The ones I'm looking at are as follows:

Ski #1: Has new SBT engine in it that has no hours on it. STARTS but had some electrical issue that locks it into limp mode.
Ski #2: Engine removed. New SBT engine for it still sealed in box for that one. Sold as a package.

Now I've never worked on 4 strokes before but I'd say I'm fairly mechanically inclined however installing a seadoo engine would be new for me. My questions for you are:

- How difficult would it be to install a new SBT engine? I have removed and installed an engine in a 99 GTX before.
- Do you believe the limp mode would be a big problem? I've read around and it seems it could be something small but I don't want to speculate as I'm not familiar with it. What do you think?
- Anything I should look for in particular if I go check these skis out?
- What would you pay for these skis?

They're asking $4000 obo, however the ad has been up for over a month so I plan on talking them down. Another thing too note is that they were used as rental skis so they were ridden hard.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Here is the biggest issue as I see it.. Unless you can get something in writing in regards to engine warranty, you have to buy the skis as though they have junk engines.. To much risk not to.

If you can not ride and drive a ski, you MUST assume the potential risk of what is financially required to instal an engine.

Yes, they are new, but that can not be proven per-say...

Is the risk smaller as compared to other "It just needs a start or just needs a battery" kind of thing. But none the less, there are risks based on not being able to run them...

I'd look up the retail and cut it in half...

Great advice. I have gotten skis before with "brand new" or "just rebuilt the top end" engines blowing pistons the following weeks. I'll ask for paperwork on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back