97 GTX - Blown MPEM - How do I winterize it?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkhack

Newbie here...I have a 1997 GTX with a 878 motor. I blew the MPEM late in the Summer and I need to get it winterized. Anybody have thoughts on how to accomplish this? It's getting cold in Michigan and I need to get this done soon! Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice.

Add stabil to the gas, jump the solenoid to turn the motor over and fog the engine, pour or pump RV antifreeze into the exhaust and cylinder head, spray some fogging oil into the spark plug holes and carbs.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi & welcome to the forum.
follow the above advice and you should be good.

Where about are you in Michigan?
See below for "Michigan here" thread

I own a "remote spark" box. It simply connects to the battery and then you snap the terminals onto the rotor cap. In this case directly to the spark plugs.

With the box you could actually start your ski.

It is basically an emergency come home device as it can't advance timing and what not.

I'm thinking it was about 100 bucks from Autozone or Harbor Freight.

Under the carbs right side of the ski. But to jump the starter solonoid, it is in the rear black electrical box. Take a screw driver and touch the two large posts together. It will spark, and should engage the starter.

If your starter is pooched, you have to take the airbox off the carbs, then the flame arrestor bracket, and squeeze your way down there to undo the 3 6mm allan bolts and the two battery connections. If you dont mind buying two paper gaskets, remove the carbs, it will give you SO much more room. and less cuts. Those choke plates are SHARP. If you dont remove carbs, take a piece of 1/4 inch fuel line 2'' or so long and cut it lengthwise. Pull the choke and slide it onto the shaft. This should keep the choke pulled, it closes the bores so nothing falls into the carbs, and keeps you from slicing your forearms open. Been there, done that.

Thanks LouDoo...finding the solenoid was what I needed. I got it to turn over, poured quite a bit of antifreeze into it. I'm feeling much more confident....thanks to all that responded as well!

You probably won't find a new one at any price. PM minnetonka4me (Nick) on this forum, I'm guessing you won't be using your ski for some time. Send him your MPEM along with your lanyard he can test it for you, if it's bad he can sell you a good used one and program it to your lanyard.
[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back