97 GTX MPEM Bad Diode

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

KadenM2000

Hey there!

My family has owned our 97 GTX for about 22 years now, I grew up with the thing and want to continue to rip around with it. Well me being the dummy I am I *possibly* (110% did) jumped the battery with it connected in the watercraft while trying to test my starter solenoid. Well I blew my 5A like everyone else who tried jumping it and my diode on the MPEM crapped out on me, so I started digging into the silicone and found my diode, I needed A LOT of heat as the tutorials online seem to show 2001+ MPEMs and their easy peel silicone & easy access diode. I guess after 26 years and 26 hard winters (Western Canada) the silicone was crazy hard, anywho... I went a little crazy with my heat gun and had a square plastic part on the MPEM bubble up a bit (heres a photo) 20230802_123305.jpg
I cant imagine it caused any damage underneath it? but my main question is, the MR2535L diode is easy to find online, but not locally, im looking at about 2-4 week shipping time, by the time I get to it Ill be winterizing the Seadoo, there's a local electronic store who sells equivalent 6A diodes, has anyone went this route? I know OEM is always better but its not the best option for me at this time, im assuming as long as its a equivalent size 6A diode with a 24V-32V avalanche voltage rating it should be fine, no? Thought it would be worth asking just to see if I can get away with it.

Heres a picture of the diode thats broken
20230802_123246.jpg

Thank you!

P.S. All I can say is I cant believe how bad of a location my diode is in, after comparing it to other tutorials in here. Took my hours to get to it.

Last edited:
This literally just happened to me today. Tried starting it with a running car and the 5 Amp fuse blows now. Gutted cause I just bought a new second hand mpem. Anyway I’m going to get a diode like you have done. Is the bad diode the one between the melted plastic and the 15 a fuse? Or is it the one between the 5 amp fuse and the brown capacitor?

This literally just happened to me today. Tried starting it with a running car and the 5 Amp fuse blows now. Gutted cause I just bought a new second hand mpem. Anyway I’m going to get a diode like you have done. Is the bad diode the one between the melted plastic and the 15 a fuse? Or is it the one between the 5 amp fuse and the brown capacitor?
This diode actually worked perfectly, Ill attach an image of where it is. Fixed all my issues and ive taken the seadoo out for a ride everyday since fixing! DiodePlacement.jpg

Did you permanently remove it or did you replace it with an aftermarket diode? I removed the diode yesterday and tested mpem and it worked but I didn’t want to start the ski incase I fried the whole mpem

What are some of the symptoms you were having?
The symptoms I’m having are, I have no power to my gauges start stop button does nothing! But fuses are good not blown and I have 12.5 volts at both of them.

Back