96xp 782 cranks doesn't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wastadkey

I have a XP 787 bombardier that ran fine when we got it then stalled in the water one day....took it back and it just clicked....replaced starter ground and battery now cranks like a brand new one BUT doesn't fire/ start....has new fuel lines battery new ground. I'm unsure if it is getting spark but the plugs are brand new...also when cranking with the air filter off gas mist came out of the Carb area...please help...also I'm a mechanical newb so be nice when it cones to big words!!!! Maby sticky needle valve???

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have either tools but will try to get..I think I may have switched the fuel lines when replacing them as well....

Your definetly right about harbour frieght....I will try to order that and Mabey a compression test then return it haha!! If I have spark and decent compression what could be wrong?

Thanks...how do I know if there is fuel getting to the carbs....I have also heard internal filters in carbs get clogged a lot??? Some have even said blow a low psi blast into the fuel tank somewhere to prime it...I just replaced all the lines so it doesn't have any in the lines...any way to get it flowing or does it automatically suck it???

You could try putting some premix into the spark plug holes. You changed the grey fuel lines but didn't clean the carb. filters? Did the ski run before you changed the fuel lines? Are you sure you got all the fuel lines back on the original locations?

Lou

You could try putting some premix into the spark plug holes. You changed the grey fuel lines but didn't clean the carb. filters? Did the ski run before you changed the fuel lines? Are you sure you got all the fuel lines back on the original locations?

1)Tried twice didn't work
2)No didn't clean it but were just rebuilt a year ago, but left over winter with gas in them
3)No it didn't crank before but new starter solved that
4)Yes, it is getting fuel to the cylinders etc
Could it be the ignition coil, stator, something else?
Just doesn't seem like it is sparking, no chugging just cranking

Still need to check for spark

make sure your battery is fully charged. make sure you dont charge it at too high voltage. my 96 gsx tends to not want to spark whenever my battery is not fully charged? any ideas why SeadooLou?

Back to the basics, you need three things, fire, fuel and air. You've got fuel and air, check for a spark. I don't see any point in going further until we know if you have spark and compression.

Lou

Battery is brand new and fully charged....haven't checked for spark but it didn't even fire with premix so I don't think I'm getting spark...still need to verify...any other ideas?? If I don't have spark, what next?

:agree: Good point PPE, I do something every year that keeps a ski from starting, this year it was the ground from the rear E-Box. One of these days I'm just gonna run a new ground from the engine to the E-Box. That way only one cable to connect.

Lou

Ok, the starters ground is new but the small one from the ebox was so rusty the connector tell off...think I'm gonna replace that!!!

I would just go ahead and replace the cable you can make a new one yourself, I believe it just grounds on the coil, 16ga. wire should be fine. You probably need to check the rear E-box anyway, see if there's water in there.

Lou

I would just go ahead and replace the cable you can make a new one yourself, I believe it just grounds on the coil, 16ga. wire should be fine. You probably need to check the rear E-box anyway, see if there's water in there.

Lou

its the solenoid ground too. which also is the mpem "signal" ground as well.

I think all the grounds are attached at the bottom bolt on the coil, go ahead and clean up the other terminals that attach there, and apply dielectric grease. Also use petroleum jelly on the gasket between the cover and base of the electric box, it will help keep it dry.

Lou

So your saying clean them up and replace the wire to the batttery? What if that doesn't work?? (Not to be negative, just prepared)

like PPE said, one step at a time. Replace that broken ground wire and there is a good chance it will start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back