96xp 782 cranks doesn't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok unfortunately I probably wont be able to do that until Thursday, but I truly appreciate anyone's help. Thanks ever so much. Will update later!

Ok unfortunately I probably wont be able to do that until Thursday, but I truly appreciate anyone's help. Thanks ever so much. Will update later!

Ok just read up about cutting the wires to the spark plug back a bit, i think i may do that bcuz one is missing a rubber cap and the other is a little rusty, could this be my problem?? How do i cut back and reconnect it?? I also saw in the parts manual something called a ground plate....Going by the name it grounds things???!! Mine isnt connected to anything and is a bit corroded...any cause for worry!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok just read up about cutting the wires to the spark plug back a bit, i think i may do that bcuz one is missing a rubber cap and the other is a little rusty, could this be my problem?? How do i cut back and reconnect it?? I also saw in the parts manual something called a ground plate....Going by the name it grounds things???!! Mine isnt connected to anything and is a bit corroded...any cause for worry!?

twist the spark plug boots off the wires, snip 1/4" off the wire to expose fresh wire in the center of the spark plug wire, then twist the boots back on and secure with a cable tie.

the studs on top of the ground plate are just a place to put your spark plug wires when doing something like a compression test where you are cranking the engine with the wires disconnected but you don't want random sparks flying around your fume filled hull blowing you up. Yea, with a name like grounding plate, you would think it would actually be grounded but as far as I can tell on my skis, it isn't.

twist the spark plug boots off the wires, snip 1/4" off the wire to expose fresh wire in the center of the spark plug wire, then twist the boots back on and secure with a cable tie.

the studs on top of the ground plate are just a place to put your spark plug wires when doing something like a compression test where you are cranking the engine with the wires disconnected but you don't want random sparks flying around your fume filled hull blowing you up. Yea, with a name like grounding plate, you would think it would actually be grounded but as far as I can tell on my skis, it isn't.

Ok finally got out there. I checked for spark after snipping the wire back and uncovering some fresh wire. The wires did look a little corrode. But grounded it up on countless spots and could not see any spark what so ever. From a bit of research im guessing its a faulty ground, bad coil, or something wrong with the stator or pickup coil in the engine??? Correct me here!! New forum title will change to how to get my *&^@!$&&^^)*(&& xp to spark!!!

did you replace the broken ground from the rear e-box. you ain't going to get spark til you fix that wire.

This is my last post in this thread until you have confirmed that the engine and rear ebox grounds are good. You should try the things we say to do in the order we say. I'm not trying to be an a$$ hole but we know these machines pretty good. Other wise your wasting your time and ours.

This is my last post in this thread until you have confirmed that the engine and rear ebox grounds are good. You should try the things we say to do in the order we say. I'm not trying to be an a$$ hole but we know these machines pretty good. Other wise your wasting your time and ours.

Ok I replaced the ground from the harness to the battery, ad from the starter to the battery...I also tried to clean all connections in rear ebox ...I will try to buy a comp guage today.....I also owe u an apology for not doing what u suggested....
So I will check for comp. Today, and to clarify after replacing grounds there still was no spark

OK FINALLY GOT COMPRESSION GAUGE TODAY!!!! ($40 at sears) It read 148psi on Mag side and 150psi on rear side!! HOPE THIS MEANS MY ENGINE IS GOOD!!!
Re checked for spark after new ground, still none...I hope this is what you wanted seadoolou!!!!

in the rear ebox, unhook the white wire off the coil. next take a test light and put the clamp on the ground of the battery. put the probe of the test light on the white wire and crank the ski. if the test light flashes, the pick-up coil is good and the coil in the rear ebox is bad. if the light doesn't flash then its most likely the pick-up coil.

Awsome!! At least some great news. I actually will have to wait untill tomorow to do that test as im home for the day now, and it is at a warehouse...if the light test is positive, just buy a new ig. coil and pop it on??? Also were do you recomend getting one if it is bad, found one on ebay for like $40...

get a hold of minnetonka4me here on this forum. i'm sure he has a good one he'd sell yeah, and it gives business to a good guy.

I heard that the ig. coils rarely go bad if there is no pysical damage??? There was never any water in the ebox as far as i can recall and it appears to be normal from the outside...
btw thanks on the tip of minnetonka...

When they go, they go. And it'll lead many an experienced person array. I've seen a guy pour over his grand Cherokee Jeep for months, when it was his coil.

When they go, they go. And it'll lead many an experienced person array. I've seen a guy pour over his grand Cherokee Jeep for months, when it was his coil.

Ok just tried the light test but my tester it broken (i think) because when it didnt work the light bulb looked a bit shot so i hooked one end to the + on the battery and the other to -, and vice versa and it didn't work (light up) so im assuming i need to grab another test light before we can move on...will check back soon once i get a new light....thanks for the tip on testing the coil...btw is there any other method while im waiting???

seadoo coils are extremely reliable and very rarely fail unless you let them sit in water, the pick ups fail constantly on the 787. either the mount or the trigger itself.

simple quick test and you'll know but if I were a betting man.....

Ok so how do I get to the mag cover...I mean I know where all the parts and everything are but I kinda need to move that wopping exhaust!!! How do I take it off??? Then just undo the oil pump and unscrew, and take it from there??? I have never messed with that part of a ski yet...

Ok so how do I get to the mag cover...I mean I know where all the parts and everything are but I kinda need to move that wopping exhaust!!! How do I take it off??? Then just undo the oil pump and unscrew, and take it from there??? I have never messed with that part of a ski yet...

Anyone want to help me??!!!kind of need to know how to check the pickup!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back