97’ GTX no gauges or spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ryax85

I was given a 97’ GTX with a new SBT 787 motor. The previous owner replaced it and was never able to get it started. Lucky me (hopefully), some things are missing like the driveshaft.

I have absolutely no spark or gauge activity. It beeps 2x when the dess is put on the post, and I can crank it.

Brand new battery.

I probed the MPEM and it has power and ground. (After reading a post I also added another ground from the battery to this box, which didn’t change a thing). 5 and 15 A fuses are also good.

The purple wire going to the gauges has power and the black ground works.

I probed the yellow mag wires and they are within spec.

Rear ignition coil and wires are in spec but when I probed the white wire it showed 60ish volts when I hit the start button and slowly declined, it appears the white wire has residual power (coming from the mpem?)

Oh and fuel flows, if that matters. I believe the lines were installed backwards. Fuel is pumping out of the lower hose going to the carb, isn’t it suppose to go to the top “Y” fitting sitting on the rear carb?

Thanks for reading!

Worked on it more tonight. Before touching anything I tested for a beep and nothing.

Tested the white wire again using the AC function (used DC) the other days and got a reading of like 1-2 volts. Tested the mpem white wire and the same 1-2 volts. I’m guessing the mpem took a vacation.

I’m fighting the same issues. I would try to check the speaker for the beeps and replace it if needed. It’s cheap and at least it let’s me know it’s receiving a signal.

I’m fighting the same issues. I would try to check the speaker for the beeps and replace it if needed. It’s cheap and at least it let’s me know it’s receiving a signal.
Speaker is good.

It occurred to me the VR supplies the MPEM power. I tested the VR and it failed the diode test on 2 of the 3 yellow wires.

Hopefully this is the issue

Nope none of this was the issue….

I took apart the mag cover for the 3rd time and replaced the pickup coil. I noticed the new pickup coil sat 1/4” closer to the stator 🤔. I guess the previous owner replaced it and didn’t notice it wasn’t the same as OEM. Put it all back together and nice blue spark!

Still no gauges. Onto the next problem.

Did ur engine fire up? Want to buy one with similar issue. 96gtx - oil light is on when key is inserted and it cranks, but no spark, and gauges do not activate. I won’t buy if this is a faulty mpem cuz that would be a bad idea lol

Back