96 GSX starting question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkpell

First off, THANK YOU, to everyone on this forum. The information that I have gained has been priceless!

I do however have a quick question, 96 GSX, bought early summer, changed fuel lines, clean carbs and filters, new batt, new plugs. Started and ran great on trailer, took to the lake and ran well. After a few laps around the cove we brought it back in to check it out, would not start. It would turn over and as you were releasing the starter button it would fire off like it was going to start but nothing. I did this a few times and then it fired off with a POP out of the exhaust. Kinda scare me as I was not expecting that. Fast forward to today. Won't run on trailer and still tries to start at the release of the button and every now and then a POP out of the exhaust. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you tried using starting fluid or gas down the carbs to get it to run. Kinda sounds like timing could be off. Before going crazy with that. Check the basics, do you have spark, fuel, and what's your compression?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried using starting fluid or gas down the carbs to get it to run. Kinda sounds like timing could be off. Before going crazy with that. Check the basics, do you have spark, fuel, and what's your compression?

I will do a compression check tomorrow and see what I have.

How would you adjust the timing on a 2 stroke? :confused:

Your motor has a rotary valve. Is a circle with a wedge cut out of it that spins and opens the intake ports to the cylinders. If the gear on the rotary valve shaft breaks it'll jump timing or if something gets jammed in the valve it could cause it come off timing. I may have jumped the gun saying it could be off timing, just the popping noise kinda brings that to mind. Check your compression and make sure you have spark first as its easier to check then timing.

Ok I did a compression check and I have 146 on the cyl close to the bow and 152 on the rear. Also while I had the plugs out I checked the spark and it appeared to be fine. Do you know what the gap on the plugs is off the top of your head?

I went through the carbs a few weeks ago and I think I might do that again just to rule out and trash that may have gotten in the filters.
I notice that an inline is advised and I think that would be a wise investment.

I have a feeling that if I can get it running I will try to sell them both. These were purchased to "see" if skis would be something that we wanted to do and I can tell you that I really enjoy ridding. Even on the SPX it is a blast to rip around the coves and ride with friends, so I might sell these and move up to a 2002 year or greater set of skis! A little bigger and I would like to have a 3 seater!

Ok looked the gap up, it's 0.5-0.6mm, that's 0.020-0.024 in inches. Compression sounds good. When you changed the fuel lines, where they grey tempo lines? Have you cleaned or bypassed the fuel selector? I plan to do a sealed inline filter too, it gets rid of the risk of pinching the o-ring and causing an air leak into the fuel system with the stock filter/water seperater. Also did you try starting fluid or gas down the carbs to see if it'll start?

Ok looked the gap up, it's 0.5-0.6mm, that's 0.020-0.024 in inches. Compression sounds good. When you changed the fuel lines, where they grey tempo lines? Have you cleaned or bypassed the fuel selector? I plan to do a sealed inline filter too, it gets rid of the risk of pinching the o-ring and causing an air leak into the fuel system with the stock filter/water seperater. Also did you try starting fluid or gas down the carbs to see if it'll start?

Gap check, yes it did have grey lines and I have since replaced them and I just bypassed the fuel selector. I am going to try the gas in the plugs and see if it fires off. If so then I know I will need to go through the carbs once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back