1996 GTX starting issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

2000seadoorx

GTX started just fine earlier this summer, but now when I go to start it, NOTHING. Put the Dess key on it and hit the start button, nothing. No click sound, no trying to start, nothing. I check the Dess post and I thought it tested bad. Just got another one and plugged it in to the harness(without installing it) still nothing. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look at to find out why it will not start?

Thanks for any help and suggestions you can give me.

1;start with the battery,,,charged and then load test it.
2, check your fuses
3; check all your connections
4, if you jump the starter selenoid, does the starter engage,,,check all your connections,,,
this should get you started.

Thanks for the reply. I did charge the battery, even tried a different one, no difference. Checked all the fuses that I know of. Any idea how many there should be? Maybe I missed one. Checked the battery connections, all good. Did not try to jump the starter solenoid, I will try that tomorrow.

There are 3 fuses in the front electrical Box and 1 fuse in the rear box.
You did not mention if you have a working beeper. Did you get 2 beeps when placing the key on the post? Even if the beeper doesn't work the following simple tests would indicate the MPEM is active and interacting with the Dess post and start button: Do the guages light up when you place the key on the post? If you just press the start key without the key on the post do the gauges light up?

I get no beeps when I put the key on the post. I will have to check the lights. Today I put a screw driver across the two main posts of the starter relay and got nothing. Is that an indicator the relay is bad?

Thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions so far. I appreciate it.

I get no beeps when I put the key on the post. I will have to check the lights. Today I put a screw driver across the two main posts of the starter relay and got nothing. Is that an indicator the relay is bad?

Thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions so far. I appreciate it.
First, I would verify you are getting voltage to the "relay". If you are then yes that would mean it is bad. If you have to replace it try to get an OEM unit... most of the aftermarket stuff is junk.

When you short the 2 top posts of the starter relay you are not testing the relay, you are removing it from the equation. If the starter does not crank when you short the top 2 relay posts then either the battery is no good, the starter is no good or the main battery cables/connections or the starter cable/connection or starter ground connection are no good.

Back