97 GTX Died mid ride.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

FRANKE43

Got a 1997 GTX from my grandfather who never really took great care of things. I spent most of the summer ('23) cleaning it up and doing general maintenance. I wouldn't say I'm a pro at working on these things but I know a little bit between sea doos and ski doos. Finally got the GTX running smooth and after about a 30 minute ride it just died. Press the button - nothing. Took the key off put it back on - nothing. It never beeped when I got it to start but the gages didn't come on and didn't crank at all. Checked the fuses and everything seems to be in good shape (nothing blown). Connection to the battery and the battery it self are both good.

It's now on the trailer took it to the local shop and they don't work on anything older than 2000's model sea doos. So... its become the winter project and I'm looking for the places to start trouble shooting. I put the key on push the button and it doesn't make a sound.

Appreciate the help and any posts linking me to other threads of similar issues.
(Yes I am new and this is my last ditch effort before I sell it as is.)

Thanks!

As Nibroc said the first test is the motor seized? Just tap a jumper cable from the positive battery post to the starter pos post. Does motor spin? Based on failure you described seems likely it will and good to confirm before checking other things.

Next I would check all of the fuses. 25 yo boat and these can have corrosion that makes a good fuse act bad. I pull each out and if it passes visual inspection then clean blades with scotch brite pad then cleaner and reinstall. Check manual for possible inline fuses not only the fuse panel and at the MPEM.

Now check all the grounds. The issue you describe seems very ground related. Remove each ground cable end and clean to bare metal and reattach. Start at battery posts.

If these don’t change the behavior of no response when attaching the Dess key it may be the Dess post itself. Does it have any other key or kill switch?

Got a 1997 GTX from my grandfather who never really took great care of things. I spent most of the summer ('23) cleaning it up and doing general maintenance. I wouldn't say I'm a pro at working on these things but I know a little bit between sea doos and ski doos. Finally got the GTX running smooth and after about a 30 minute ride it just died. Press the button - nothing. Took the key off put it back on - nothing. It never beeped when I got it to start but the gages didn't come on and didn't crank at all. Checked the fuses and everything seems to be in good shape (nothing blown). Connection to the battery and the battery it self are both good.

It's now on the trailer took it to the local shop and they don't work on anything older than 2000's model sea doos. So... its become the winter project and I'm looking for the places to start trouble shooting. I put the key on push the button and it doesn't make a sound.

Appreciate the help and any posts linking me to other threads of similar issues.
(Yes I am new and this is my last ditch effort before I sell it as is.)

Thanks!
Check the connection at the mag. Check the connections at the MPEM. Sounds like there might be some corrosion preventing proper connections to the MPEM.

Back