2001 16' Speedster Opinions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilngineer

Hi-

We are looking to sell our 96 Challenger and upgrade to a '01 16' Speedster with the Mercruiser M2 in it. Can you guys please give me some honest opinions of the boat? Also what are the known trouble spots?

I am thinking it would be a plus to have the Merc over the Rotax, but please enlighten me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

I agree. Awesome boat. Merc motor may be reliable. But when you have problems, they are very costly. if you blow a rotax motor, 1200 bucks has you back in business with a warranty. Blow a merc, good luck getting back on the water under 5 grand. If you can work on it yourself, you may be ok. Trying to find a shop to fix it will be hard. It's like a frankenstein no shop will say they can work on.

I agree. Awesome boat. Merc motor may be reliable. But when you have problems, they are very costly. if you blow a rotax motor, 1200 bucks has you back in business with a warranty. Blow a merc, good luck getting back on the water under 5 grand. If you can work on it yourself, you may be ok. Trying to find a shop to fix it will be hard. It's like a frankenstein no shop will say they can work on.

I do all my own work so do you have a ballpark on what the rebuild parts cost for the 240?

Since you double-posted, I'll double-reply.

-----
I own both Rotax and Mercury engined craft so I can speak with experience on both. Here's the short version:

* The Mercury is more reliable and less likely to break, easier to maintain, and costs more to repair.

* The Rotax is less reliable and more likely to break, takes longer and costs more to maintain, and costs less to repair.

Here are the reasons:

* Reliability is primarily driven by how "close to the edge" the engines are run. BRP/Rotax is amazing at extracting the last ounce of performance from a given size engine, but their engines are always running near the limit and that takes its toll on things. Mercury (at least in these V6 2.5L powerplants) runs things more conservatively and therefore things aren't as stressed. Both approaches have their benefits and their supporters and their detractors. Choose which one is more important to YOU.

* Regular maintenance is less costly and time consuming on the Mercury simply because you don't have to do it as often. Annual maintenance is 2-3 hours in your driveway using standard tools and under $100 in parts and chemicals. In contrast, while I'm almost freakishly mental about maintaining my engines I seem to always be troubleshooting and/or replacing something on the Rotaxes. This includes both mechanical and electrical parts. This has led to a standard joke from my wife: "What's wrong with the Rotax THIS time?"

* When something does go wrong, the Mercury parts will cost more. The Rotax engines have a huge aftermarket industry making parts for them. Mercury has some of that, but it's not nearly as big. This may be because more repair parts are NEEDED for Rotax engines vs. Mercury engines, who knows.

Regarding a couple of rumors propagated by the anti-Mercury crowd:

* Mercury has not "orphaned" or "abandoned" the SportJet engines. They are the same exact V6 2.5L powerblock used in countless Mercury outboard engines. All the same tools, training, tests, etc. work on them. If you can find a Mercury shop (and they are far more common than Rotax shops), you've just found a shop that can work on your engine.

* Parts are readily available for the Mercury engines. Since the engines are common to outboards, the parts are often stocked by local Mercury shops on the shelf. Any Mercury dealer can also order parts for you straight from the factory. There are many online sources from whom you can order. And there is a small but solid aftermarket industry for Mercury engines too.

I don't sell anything for either engine. I don't work in the industry. I have nothing to gain regardless of your decision. But I DO own both engine types, I do all of my own maintenance, and I can speak from experience on both. The bottom line is that both are fine choices and your decision should be based on your needs and desires, not on what others try to convince you.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions!

Trying to find a shop to fix it will be hard. It's like a frankenstein no shop will say they can work on.

Once again, I must politely disagree. It's the same 2.5L V6 as in countless Mercury outboards. All the tools, parts, training, etc. are the same. Take it to any certified Mercury shop, open the engine compartment, and they'll say "Oh, it's THAT engine. No problem."

How come we get new members on here who say they can't find a shop to fix it? I don't really have any opinion really, so I don't care who buys merc powered boats. I am just relying on the traffic I see through here. Last week I saw another new member who had this problem. Are you saying they make it up just to deter people?

How come we get new members on here who say they can't find a shop to fix it?

I think some folks call up the shop and say they have a "SportJet", and the techs don't know that it's based on standard Mercury outboards. That's why I said:

Take it to any certified Mercury shop, open the engine compartment, and they'll say "Oh, it's THAT engine. No problem."

Once the tech recognizes it for the engine it is, all the problems melt away. This has happened to me twice, at two local Mercury shops. I mentioned it was a SportJet and they replied "We don't work on jets", but when I explained it was really a V6 2.5L engine just sitting on a jetdrive they both said "Oh, got it. No problem." My example above was from personal experiences.

Maybe....

I think some folks call up the shop and say they have a "SportJet", and the techs don't know that it's based on standard Mercury outboards. That's why I said:

Once the tech recognizes it for the engine it is, all the problems melt away. This has happened to me twice, at two local Mercury shops. I mentioned it was a SportJet and they replied "We don't work on jets", but when I explained it was really a V6 2.5L engine just sitting on a jetdrive they both said "Oh, got it. No problem." My example above was from personal experiences.

This is a forum. This is where people come in, looking for opinions based on others. So, for these members to share their experiences in the Merc powered and Rotax powered motors, it's all relevant to the members question.

I have to slightly disagree with you on the Merc mechanics. I think the idea on who will work on them is something of a case by case situation. Where you are, they are either hungry for work, or they just don't mind doing the work. I have a friend here who owns a Merc shop, and has for over 30 years and he won't touch a Seadoo. The reason he gave me makes since too. The standard Merc motor hangs off the back. You pull the cover and stand around to work on it. The Merc motors in our boats are inside the hull. Harder to get too. Maybe it's because my friend is older, but he says he's not about to crawl down into a hull to work on it. Now, granted he's been in business for a long time, so he has many more boats in line to be repaired. I guess if he were hungry, he'd take it in.

But, like you said, it is the same powerhead that Mercury uses on their outboards. Just a different drive train.

I'd tend to agree with you also on the durability. The Mercs don't break as easy as the Rotax, but when it does, it's a bit more difficult to troubleshoot and the parts are really expensive......

Personally, I'd not own the Merc boat. Now, if they dropped an Evinrude in it, I'd probably have it........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back