What should I buy? GTI vs GTX / 130 vs 155

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jetskis are fun

Hey Everyone, first post here. I have done quite a bit of research and decided to just make a post to see if I get any good pointers. I am upgrading skis and am trying to figure out what to get. I have narrowed it down to a GTI or GTX but not sure which engine or which years to go after. I have seen that there's really not much difference in the engines, its really about the hull of the GTI or GTX where you feel a difference. I will be riding on a river here in north Florida 100% of the time. To add to the predicament, I own a 1996 Shuttle Craft that i plan on pushing with whatever ski I may get. (I know people will comment on newer skis not fitting into it, I am handy with fiberglass molds and I will be shaping rails custom to whatever ski I get. so for the purpose of this post lets just say any ski will fit perfectly.)

I currently ride a 2001 GTX 951. The shuttlecraft is pushed by a 1998 Seadoo GSX Limited. My plan is to sell each of these after putting a new ski on the shuttlecraft. So maybe $4,000 - $5,000 total return from these two.

My thoughts:
Going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke in any variation will probably be enough change for me to be happy. Do I go with a 2005-2008 GTX 155 for like $4,000-$5,000? No cash out of pocket and I still get to upgrade engines? Or do i go newer like 2012 and up for the IDF technology amongst other things. For anything newer is where I'm debating GTI vs GTX. Budget is around $6000-$7,000 for newer models. Since I am pushing a shuttle craft, do I really need a GTX for the storage and "boat like" features? Is whipping around a GTI that much different than whipping around a GTX (jumping wake, 360's, etc)? Is the 130 engine just as reliable as the 155? Are there any known electric or technology problems in models after 2008? I know 2012 and up will be nicer but it is extra money out of pocket and at the end of the day, its still 7-10 years old so it ending up in the shop even for something small could be just the same as a 2005-2008 model.

I really appreciate any feedback. My head is spinning on making the right decision.

Hi there, my opinion on the matter is I would stay away from anything prior to 2010.
Yes you would save a bit of cash going 2008 or older, but you will likely hate having missed one of the biggest step in jetski evolution: The IBR.
Not to mentioned the hull improvement post 2009.
I own a 2010 GTX155 (for 2 years now) and love the machine. Granted, I could have grabbed an extra 10mph or so going supercharged, but I like enjoying the benefit of longevity, reliability and proven "bullet proof" status of the naturally aspirated engine.
I bought mine at 97 hours, now at 145 without a hiccup, with a top speed anywhere between 55 and 57 depending on wind and current.
Good luck!

Hi there, my opinion on the matter is I would stay away from anything prior to 2010.
Yes you would save a bit of cash going 2008 or older, but you will likely hate having missed one of the biggest step in jetski evolution: The IBR.
Not to mentioned the hull improvement post 2009.
I own a 2010 GTX155 (for 2 years now) and love the machine. Granted, I could have grabbed an extra 10mph or so going supercharged, but I like enjoying the benefit of longevity, reliability and proven "bullet proof" status of the naturally aspirated engine.
I bought mine at 97 hours, now at 145 without a hiccup, with a top speed anywhere between 55 and 57 depending on wind and current.
Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I heard that the IBR system had its complications and its just more stuff to worry about. I am guessing you disagree. If it works and is reliable its definitely something I want but the manual reverse isn't a problem for me either.

Well as far as I'm concerned, it works and is reliable, and haven't heard it was the source of issues a large, but I'm not a shop owner or mechanic, so maybe one can chime in on the reliability factor.
To me it's one of those things that you can't live without once you experienced it.

I have had both GTI and GTX's. The GTI hull design is more adept at the sliding, carving, cutting trick style riding. The GTX hull is more defined for longer, smoother ride on waters not glass flat....like rivers. (The James river in Virginia) Similar to V-hull boats handle choppy/uneven water better than flatter bottom boats. Side by side the GTI is a bumper ride than my GTX, and after a longer run on the water your neck, back, legs, etc...will remind you at the end of the day of that fact; along with your passenger. The IBR is a huge improvement for the Reverse, Shorter Stopping Distance, and delicate smooth gliding up to a dock or structure with just a quick flip of the fingers from F to N to R back to F, etc...without letting go of the handlebar like older ski's. I just replaced an IBR and it is within the realm of a DIY, except the $60.00 dealer service charge to "marry" the IBR to the ECU module that takes 5 minutes of computer BUDS program. Careful on YouTube mechanics doing it and not paying attention to details; like the air pressure in the two bellows on two sides of the IBR, and Not using NEW bolts and brass lock nuts when taking on/off the VTS/Pump parts.

The IDF tech that Reverses the jet flow to dislodge material sucked into the prop is not on the older models. Did you mean IBR?

130 Vs 155 Vs 300. Had them all; IMO go with the non-supercharged 155 or the newest 170; plenty of power. Supercharged models (including my 23' RXT-X 300) get to the top speed quicker, but the 170 will get up there too. And you don't have to buy 93 octane premium!

Buying a used ski is worth taking to an experienced shop service manager for a 1 hour look over to check compression, plug condition, the CARBON SEAL/METAL 'HAT'/BELLOWS) and impeller shaft bearing grease condition under the rear cone; just to mention a few things; along with owner history of use (fresh vs salt / frequent beaching / maintenance records, etc...). Having a good relationship with the Service manager can make sure the new summer helper in the service dept. is not assigned to your "inspection". Good Doo mechanics are gold.

Have a nice hunt for your new toy!!! Cheers!

I’ve been told that the only difference between the 130 and 170 is ecu tuning and all else is the same. Is that true?
SeaDoo introduced the "1630" engine circa 2016 and it came with or without supercharger.
130/170 hp models are not supercharged but are tuned differently.
230+ are.
All the same engine.

The 170 hp should be able to reach a top speed of around 55 mph, whereas the 130 should reach low 50's.

The 170 and 155 should have about the same top speed and acceleration.

Prior to 2016, the 1503 engine had similar configurations except for 130/155 hp models.

Back