Hours vs Condition?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Ccarlson142

Someone is selling a 2011 and 2012 Sea-Doo GTX 155. The person bought them from an estate sale not too long ago. I spoke to the owner, and he said that it appears they have been sitting outside for a while. There is a little bit of oxidation on the aluminum in the engine bay, which may indicate salt water use. They are registered in Georgia, but maybe they were used along the coast. There are a couple bumps and bruises on them but overall condition is good. The seat covers need to be replaced. The 2011 has 45 hours on it. The 2012 has 84 hours on. Given the unknown history of the skis, with the low hours would it make them a good purchase? The asking price is $10,000 for both and a trailer.

If you don't have access to a mechanic, I would at least test drive them or at a minimum see if the start up. From your description the display must be working if you see the hours.. Were any fault codes present? . Look inside the ski and see if there is any oil leakage.

See if the owner will let you take it to someone who can test compression. Better yet some with a computer to run the diagnostics.

That sounds like a deal, I would definitely investigate this further.

Thank you so much for you quick response. He did not mention any codes. The skis are about an hour away. I am going to see if he will let me take them to a mechanic where I live. I think he said his daughter lives in our town, so he can bring them down and visit with her:). I think I would feel better having it looked over. Thank you!

I would. As you don't want to make a $10000 mistake.. Do you have a reputable dealer in your town? You could ask on this forum and see if there is someone near who could help you look them over.. I recently got two 4 strokes. I went ahead and invested in a Candoo . That way you can check and clear your own faults and even program your own keys. Mine was around $400 .

Good luck

Low mileage, sat outside, over ten years old, and a below market price, is the perfect recipe for a lot of problems and $. Definitely would need a pre buyers/ preseason inspection by a dealer or a good mechanic unless your a risk taker and budget another $4000 and a lot of man hours to get them right.

Back