Need advise: should I buy Challenger with Rotax or Mercruiser? Need help ASAP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLine

New to boating. Live in Denham Springs Louisiana. Grew up around boating with an uncle who took us to Toledo Bend as kids. But never owned one: I am 48 with wife and two kids and have a truck that will pull anything. I know the Sea Doo boats are not made anymore but hear they are pretty reliable both engines? If THAT’S true then maybe i should lean on Rotax since Mercruiser/SeaDoo seems to scare off would be mechanics. I have an opportunity to buy 2006 Challenger with Rotax ( says built in intercooler? ) and also a Challenger 2002 with M2 Mercruiser 6 cylinder 240 hp... thoughts? Two cents please? And thanks in advance.

While we love our 05 islandia with merc 250 optimax I would upgrade in a minute to a twin 4 stroke as long as it doesn't have superchargers.

The 240 is also a great motor but with the mercs be prepared to do a lot of your own maintenance. Most of it is very simple, get a service manual and it will give you all of the information you need. Even thou they are basically outboards fitted on a jet pump merc mechanics shy away from them.

If you have the choice, would avoid the Mercs as they are getting harder to get parts for or get work done on.

Superchargers are fine and reliable on the Rotax, just get them rebuilt regularly.

just fyi- It's NOT a 240 mercruiser- it's a Mercury M2 240 2-stroke. there's a big difference between the two; the mercury "mercruiser" engine line is typically a larger 4-stroke engine married to a stern-drive (I/O) unit. The M2 Mercury is basically a 2-stroke powerhead sitting on top of a jet pump- I would stay far far away from the 2-stroke 240 efi Mercury M2 jet drives! I've had 3 of them blow due to very poor oil injector design- and they are super expensive to repair and good luck finding any dealer who'll touch an M2 Mercury jet drive. I'd stay with the sea-doo rotax / 4-tec non supercharged engines. They are pretty solid engines imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back