Newbie with a 2001 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IndySpeedster

I just picked up a 2001 Seadoo Speedster with the 240 Mercruiser engine. This is my first jet boat so I know nothing about it. I do know it is a 2-stroke and has an oil tank that takes 2 stroke oil and I was told to buy Quicksilver brand. I’m not sure what type to buy which leads me to ask where can I find manuals for this boat? I also am going to assume no maintenance was done on this boat so what should I start with? Gear oil change, stator oil change? Filters? Grease/lube anything? Any and all info is much appreciated thank you!

Welcome. I found mercury manuals online (a Seadoo/Merc FB group offers them in its file section). Quicksilver 2-stroke oil is good, I use it (same engine), there are other favs out there too. I would change spark plugs, run a compression test (all cylinders) to know what you got. Most will recommend to remove the oil injection pump and buy the block-off kit and go premix (sadly common issue with plastic crank drive gear for oil pump kills a lot of these engines). I also would go through the jet pump and change stator and gear oils and inspect for excessive wear and/or bent impeller/stator fins. Lube your steering cable. Lube your throttle/shift cables. I would rebuild the pulse fuel pump (cheap rebuild kits). I would change the fuel/water-separator filter. I would remove and clean the lift-pump prefilter (small filter on the fuel line that screws into the lift pump (the clickity-clack pump). I would prime fuel system and ensure the VST (port-side tank that hold the high-pressure fuel pump) is getting sufficient fuel (manual explains test). I would also prime fuel lines and ensure getting ~34psi fuel pressure to the injectors (there is a schrader valve on top the VST to test). Ensure you got fresh fuel (I prefer E0 fuel). Then take it for a water shake-down cruise and see if there are any other issues. GL

Welcome. I found mercury manuals online (a Seadoo/Merc FB group offers them in its file section). Quicksilver 2-stroke oil is good, I use it (same engine), there are other favs out there too. I would change spark plugs, run a compression test (all cylinders) to know what you got. Most will recommend to remove the oil injection pump and buy the block-off kit and go premix (sadly common issue with plastic crank drive gear for oil pump kills a lot of these engines). I also would go through the jet pump and change stator and gear oils and inspect for excessive wear and/or bent impeller/stator fins. Lube your steering cable. Lube your throttle/shift cables. I would rebuild the pulse fuel pump (cheap rebuild kits). I would change the fuel/water-separator filter. I would remove and clean the lift-pump prefilter (small filter on the fuel line that screws into the lift pump (the clickity-clack pump). I would prime fuel system and ensure the VST (port-side tank that hold the high-pressure fuel pump) is getting sufficient fuel (manual explains test). I would also prime fuel lines and ensure getting ~34psi fuel pressure to the injectors (there is a schrader valve on top the VST to test). Ensure you got fresh fuel (I prefer E0 fuel). Then take it for a water shake-down cruise and see if there are any other issues. GL
Ripcuda, thanks for all the great tips! I took it out on my maiden voyage and a couple observations / questions
Starting had excessive smoke, is this ok? Was normal after initial startup.
Steering is tight, and has play in the wheel. How do I lube the steering?
I found quicksilver premium plus 2-stroke but it was for outboard motors? And is there a difference between 2-stroke and 2 cycle? I want to get a few more rides this season before doing all the maintenance you suggested.

Thanks again for all the tips. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I got to looking at the steering and forward/reverse shifters at the jet drive and both rubber boots are broken and the cylinders are exposed.

I got to looking at the steering and forward/reverse shifters at the jet drive and both rubber boots are broken and the cylinders are exposed.
Since there is no way to tell how long the boots have been damaged, cables are water logged and should be replaced. New boots, too. The cables are common hardware, not Seadoo product.

Smoking on startup is normal. 2-stoke and 2-cycle is the same. Your engine is exactly an outboard engine power head. Merc prem plus oil is the best oil.

Since there is no way to tell how long the boots have been damaged, cables are water logged and should be replaced. New boots, too. The cables are common hardware, not Seadoo product.

Smoking on startup is normal. 2-stoke and 2-cycle is the same. Your engine is exactly an outboard engine power head. Merc prem plus oil is the best oil.
Thanks for your reply! I will replace cables over winter when I have nothing to do. I ended up getting Quicksilver PWC full synthetic 2-stroke oil. Is that ok?

Thanks for your reply! I will replace cables over winter when I have nothing to do. I ended up getting Quicksilver PWC full synthetic 2-stroke oil. Is that ok?
Oil- Is it TCW3 certified? Merc requires it. PWC: personal water craft. Don't scrimp on the cost of oil. One gallon of oil will last about 2 tanks of gas on average. Engine rebuild is $4500.

I have a 01 speedster I'm trying to Prep for sale next season as I've missed my timeline for top resell value for current season. trying to max my resell value. Any input would be appreciated. I was thinking to get the full hydroturf kit full kits like $400 i think. seats have no rips but the foam cushions are kind of "crispy" for lack of a better term. any way to "rehydrate" the seats? foam isn't crumbling or anything crazy.

Attachments

• 20220906_175218.jpg
    20220906_175218.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220906_175344.jpg
    20220906_175344.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220906_175328.jpg
    20220906_175328.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.