1997 Speedster smoking and cavitation, replacing seats

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jverleye

Just got the boat out from storage after two years and replaced battery and plugs. Port engine was smoking badly when I started it. Opened the hatch and noticed that a head bolt was completely missing and water was pouring out because I still had the flush hose attached and running. I'm guessing this is probably letting a little water into the cylinder causing the smoke? Otherwise it runs fine. What else could it be? It seems to be a white steamy smoke.

Secondly, I have had cavitation problems in the past and have searched many threads here. I'm about to check the carbon ring, impeller and wear ring. I'm not sure how long the head bolt has been missing or even how it seemed to have vanished, but, would this be a cause of cavitation and is it normal for the entire bolt to just loosen and then pop out? Its approximately three inches long.

Also my vinyl seats are completely worn out on the tops. Does anyone have suggestions or experience replacing the vinyl. It does not appear to be very easy to get the cushions off.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

J

1) Fix the head bolt

2) The smoke is from sitting. Oil has gotten past the center seals. It should clear out once you take it out for a ride.

3) Seadooupostery.com for your vinyl. Keith is a good guy, and a member here.

Thanks Doc.

After looking at a couple of other threads, I removed the plastic covers that hide the carbon ring and discovered the rubber boot on the engine side is damaged on the same engine that has a missing head bolt. The rubber underneath the silver band silver band is missing. How could this be affecting me? I'll try to copy the picture I saw if this is not clear.

Actually, after looking again, it was your picture responding to cavitation on 6/25. your advice was to move the c ring back into an extra slot. The engine side boot on mine is basically worn away at the stern end of the boot.

Also Should I replace all the head bolts? And to what torque should they be tightened? Locktite?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back