Oil in cylinder 1997 Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Nick24975

Hi there,

First post so sorry if it's the wrong spot.

I have a 1997 Challenger 1800 that has been in storage. I went to take it out and found the drivers side engine locked up, after inspection I found the cylinder closest to the drivers seat was full of oil and it keeps coming no matter how much you turn it over to spray it out.

Any ideas what would do this?

I pinched off the oil line and put a little pre mix in the tank and it runs pretty well fine as long as oil isn't flooding the cylinder.

I heard that cutting it off completely is bad for the rotary valve? Can you still have oil going to that but not the cylinders?

Any help is appreciated.

If you have that much oil in the engine then one of the rotary valve seals is leaking. You need to feed the rotary valve with oil so the only way to stop it is to replace the bad seal (required pulling the engine and opening it up) or install a valve to shut off the oil after use to limit what gets into the engine.

Typically it is the inner crank seals that cause the oil leaking and the only permanent fix is the pull the engine, split the cases adn buy a reman crankshaft.
A lot of people get by installing a shutoff valve on the larger 12mm oil supply line, not the 8mm oil injection line with the filter.

Back