1996 Speedster Restoration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I’ve seen lots of people making those hoods look like new with 50 percent linseed oil and 50 percent mineral spirits I think. Apparently it’s a long term fix, not like the hair dryer trick. If your interested I can find the exact process
Unfortunately somebody painted the hoodbut I have other hoods. Might be worth a try. I've seen pictures of hoods restored that look great. I did a decent job on one of mine with Blue Scotchbrite and Soft Scrub. I got a dead tach on the left engine. Pretty sure it is the tach because the rev limiter is kicking in at idle.

1996 Speedster Boat (3).JPG

Do ya'll think the XP Hood is the same hood on the Speedster. Looks like it but I haven't tried.

Well here we are. Finally putting the finishing touches on this boat and there are a lot of finishing touches needed for sure. I'd have to say she's READY for the water test. I had trouble removing the bilge blower. I can't believe in 25 years nobody made a video. It's easy but not easy to get to and I couldn't find anything in the manual about how to remove and replace. I'll post something to youtube shortly. I am ordering a blower to install and I have a few squawk items. I need a Tach for the left engine and I can't find the exact one thus far. I need to replace the beeper but I have plenty of those. Got the idle set, injection pumps set, we ready. :D Here are some completion pictures.

Attachments

• Battery & Charger (1).JPEG
    Battery & Charger (1).JPEG
    228.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Battery & Charger (2).JPEG
    Battery & Charger (2).JPEG
    231.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Battery & Charger (3).JPEG
    Battery & Charger (3).JPEG
    204.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster Battery & Charger B (1).JPEG
    Speedster Battery & Charger B (1).JPEG
    190.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster Engines Complete (1).JPEG
    Speedster Engines Complete (1).JPEG
    207 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster Engines Complete (2).JPEG
    Speedster Engines Complete (2).JPEG
    221.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster Engines Getting Close (1).JPEG
    Speedster Engines Getting Close (1).JPEG
    234.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster Engines Getting Close (3).JPEG
    Speedster Engines Getting Close (3).JPEG
    221.6 KB · Views: 3
I should take my videos and make an anthology of this journey. :) I thought I was going to make it onto the water yesterday but I decided to adjust the steering spot on. I ended up machining nylon bushings for the nozzles but it is SPOT ON. You never know what to expect when you put them in the water. After much trepidation... it went very very well.

I MADE SOME SHORT VIDEOS OF MY GET IT ON THE WATER DIRECTIVE.

A quick video on the nozzle alignment. It took some effort but what worthwhile doesn't I often muse about people that just throw things together. I can't do that. Gotta be spot on.
Speedster Nozzle Alignment

Something to be said for the first time you leave the harbor. You just never know. Engine temps were great, they performed so very well
First Water Test - Speedster

I just could not get the Speedster on plane. :D One of the tachs is only working at higher RPM and the Speedo is dead. I'm HAPPY !!
Speedster on Plane

Last edited:
I should take my videos and make an anthology of this journey. :) I thought I was going to make it onto the water yesterday but I decided to adjust the steering spot on. I ended up machining nylon bushings for the nozzles but it is SPOT ON. You never know what to expect when you put them in the water. After much trepidation... it went very very well.

A quick video on the nozzle alignment. It took some effort but what worthwhile doesn't I often muse about people that just throw things together. I can't do that. Gotta be spot on.
Speedster Nozzle Alignment

Something to be said for the first time you leave the harbor. You just never know. Engine temps were great, they performed so very well
First Water Test - Speedster

I just could not get the Speedster on plane. :D One of the tachs is only working at higher RPM and the Speedo is dead. I'm HAPPY !!
Speedster on Plane
Glad it went well, yep
you seemed to be thoroughly enjoying yourself in the Speedster on Plane video. Right on, 👍

Unfortunately somebody painted the hoodbut I have other hoods. Might be worth a try. I've seen pictures of hoods restored that look great. I did a decent job on one of mine with Blue Scotchbrite and Soft Scrub. I got a dead tach on the left engine. Pretty sure it is the tach because the rev limiter is kicking in at idle.

View attachment 65154

I would have to post on another site but my memory says 50 percent boiled linseed oil ( you don’t actually boil it, that’s just the name ) and 50 percent mineral spirits, rub that on with a scotchbrite pad, I think what your actually doing is taking a layer of the plastic off. Have to use tour judgment on how long and how agressive to work it, then go over it with a plastic protectant like back to black. I have had success with scotchbrite paf and barkeepers friend, the liquid gel.

I have other hoods that are ugly but not painted. I will try your process on one of them. I have seen some beautifully restored hoods and always wondered how the got them looking that good. I did a lot of work to a couple but never the results I've seen on occasion. I did the blue scotch-brite and Soft Scrub which is lots and lots of work. I really want to redo the graphics.... I get so attached to my projects I don't want to get rid of them. :)

I have other hoods that are ugly but not painted. I will try your process on one of them. I have seen some beautifully restored hoods and always wondered how the got them looking that good. I did a lot of work to a couple but never the results I've seen on occasion. I did the blue scotch-brite and Soft Scrub which is lots and lots of work. I really want to redo the graphics.... I get so attached to my projects I don't want to get rid of them. :)
Would that paint not come off your hood? I’m thinking maybe it would. I’ve never actually used the boiled linseed oil/ mineral spirits yet, just seen it somewhere and I’ve also seen people using paint thinner with the boiled linseed oil. I’m going to post up before I give it a try but I will post the results here when I do. I’ve made some hoods that were pretty Grungy look pretty darn good with the barkeepers friend so that’s still my go to since I’ve done it and know I’m not going to wreck the hood. So was the speedster a lot of fun? It sure looked like it was

I was breaking it in today so keeping the RPMs low for the first hour. My son had one of these new in 1996 and his was a newer model than this one. His had a rear facing seat with was very cool and a little cooler if I remember correctly. His boat also raised the RPM of the engines when you were idling and turned the wheel all the way (that was cool). They bragged that from full throttle you could turn the steering wheel all the way and the boat would make the turn. It is a great boat for people that love the water, skiing, tubes, and wakeboarding. It has plenty of power to get a skier up very quickly. I never really learned to water ski as we never had a boat in my younger days. I had fun trying to slalom and never did get very far on ski. I do crash really well. :D

I love the 717 engines and with 170hp this boat is no slouch. I'm gonna have fun learning about it. Having both tachs working is a necessity. I didn't realize how much more attention you have pay when driving a twin engine boat. I have a canopy with the boat and I believe that make any boat so much better. Getting out of the sun on a hot day is nice.

On a personal note I think the old boats are the best bargains out there. Who needs to go faster than 50mph on the water and this boat is a tad bit faster than 50. We got 53 out of my sons with 4 men in the boat and full fuel. When I look at the prices of new or newer equipment there is no comparison. Most people but stuff like this and don't use often enough it anyway. My son's Speedster cost $12,000 in 1996.

I was breaking it in today so keeping the RPMs low for the first hour. My son had one of these new in 1996 and his was a newer model than this one. His had a rear facing seat with was very cool and a little cooler if I remember correctly. His boat also raised the RPM of the engines when you were idling and turned the wheel all the way (that was cool). They bragged that from full throttle you could turn the steering wheel all the way and the boat would make the turn. It is a great boat for people that love the water, skiing, tubes, and wakeboarding. It has plenty of power to get a skier up very quickly. I never really learned to water ski as we never had a boat in my younger days. I had fun trying to slalom and never did get very far on ski. I do crash really well. :D

I love the 717 engines and with 170hp this boat is no slouch. I'm gonna have fun learning about it. Having both tachs working is a necessity. I didn't realize how much more attention you have pay when driving a twin engine boat. I have a canopy with the boat and I believe that make any boat so much better. Getting out of the sun on a hot day is nice.

On a personal note I think the old boats are the best bargains out there. Who needs to go faster than 50mph on the water and this boat is a tad bit faster than 50. We got 53 out of my sons with 4 men in the boat and full fuel. When I look at the prices of new or newer equipment there is no comparison. Most people but stuff like this and don't use often enough it anyway. My son's Speedster cost $12,000 in 1996.
I agree with you in all points, I also love the the 717 for its simplicity and durability. Also agree with you point about price, I have no desire to spend 20,000.00 on a Seadoo or 40,000.00 on a boat when I can be on the water for basically free on the old girls. Bye the way, those engines sounded mean in your first video, I was looking forward to the water test for this project, great job as always.

I do love it when the engines snap crackle and pop.
On a side note... owners need to realize the importance of letting these engines warm up properly. I don't care how many hours they have on them. Patience and restraint and good maintenance will keep these watercraft reliable long term.

I do love it when the engines snap crackle and pop.
On a side note... owners need to realize the importance of letting these engines warm up properly. I don't care how many hours they have on them. Patience and restraint and good maintenance will keep these watercraft reliable long term.
How would you recommend letting them warm up?

I just let the engine idle and blip the throttle a few times during the warm up process so they don't load up with fuel which... they shouldn't anyway if set properly. I let them idle for about 3 minutes which isn't a difficult thing to do. Then I'll ride a couple of minutes at low RPM, no more than 3000. It doesn't take that long for the engines to warm up but I do a little extra.

I've seen people fire up a ski at the launch and just hammer down. Cold tear happens when you start the engine and take off without letting the engine come up to full operating temperature. All the parts don't expand at the same rate so excessive wear and engine damage occurs and you don't notice till later on.

I would add that with snowmobiles, not sure about Seadoo’s, but snowmobiled with forged pistons the warm up process is critical. Start for a couple minutess, shut it off for a few minutes for the heat to transfer evenly through piston and cylinder, then start again and let it warm up for another few minutes. This process is crucial for forged pistons especially on really cold days. Personally I like cast pistons for my snowmobile’s and seadoo’s.

Man I don't know anything about the cold. :) I won't even fly my airplane unless the air temperature is above 50 degrees. LOL

Good Deal I was looking through the repair manual and it is pretty good for troubleshooting. I got it from this site. :)

I posted up about my alignment issues on the PWC side of things. When I tested the boat I noticed the right engine revved to high when I was getting on plane so I remembered I had to ship the jet pump after I aligned the engines. On the right engine I had to shim 3 bolts and I really didn't shim I used washers but it was pretty close. I figured if it became an issue I'd address it well... looks like that jet pump is cavitating so.... I'm gonna pull the pump and fix the issue with the jet pump mounts. ONE is a lot higher than the others. I'm gonna use a die grinder and get it spot on or else I'll machine 3 shims to proper spec.

So the issue is that the alignment kits give you an good alignment based on the mounting surface of the jet pump to the ride plate. That only works when the jet pump mount surfaces are parallel and on this boat... they are not BUT... the will be.

I might have mentioned in this thread that when I tightened the jet pumps the engines got difficult to turn. That's how I knew the flanges were not parallel so I shimmed them to be parallel. Unfortunately the right engine shims (washers) are holding the pump off sealing on the neoprene seal. Hope this makes sense to everyone. This boat is the only problem I've ever had with this.

Well here we are. Finally putting the finishing touches on this boat and there are a lot of finishing touches needed for sure. I'd have to say she's READY for the water test. I had trouble removing the bilge blower. I can't believe in 25 years nobody made a video. It's easy but not easy to get to and I couldn't find anything in the manual about how to remove and replace. I'll post something to youtube shortly. I am ordering a blower to install and I have a few squawk items. I need a Tach for the left engine and I can't find the exact one thus far. I need to replace the beeper but I have plenty of those. Got the idle set, injection pumps set, we ready. :D Here are some completion pictures.
Soo clean!! And sounds smooth!

I can't believe how some owners let them get so filthy. Some people must have just bought them and never did any maintenance at all. Just let them fill with water and muck and grease. It's an OCD nightmare lol

This thing is coming along beautiful!

Soo clean!! And sounds smooth!

I can't believe how some owners let them get so filthy. Some people must have just bought them and never did any maintenance at all. Just let them fill with water and muck and grease. It's an OCD nightmare lol

This thing is coming along beautiful!

A lot of people do nothing in regard to maintenance. When the ski or boat finally breaks down it need so much attention they just let them sit.... until we find them. LOL

I found a bad wire connection at the front of the boat so now the bow lights are working. I found a 3 way switch on Ebay which may be here tomorrow. That will give me power to the anchor light. This boat is getting sweeter and sweeter every day. I love it when Everything works as it should.

I am going to mess with the port tach at some point or perhaps I'll just hope that through use it will begin working better. The tach is reading at 4k rpm and above. Very important to have working tachs on a twin engine boat. I think it is hella cool that they are is lighted but who is gonna take this boat out in the evening?? :D

Back