1996 speedster mpem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Kevinp242

Hey guys I have a 1996 speedster . Couple years ago put 2 new motors in it. Now I have lost the original mpem in it. It keeps blowing the 5 amp fuse. I’m looking into getting the new retro fit kit from seadoosource.com. I have talked to the guy a couple times about doing it but just curious if anybody else on here has pulled the trigger on his kit? He only takes money orders for doing the work and that has me a little nervous specially in this current scam happy world. I’m not saying he is that person just wanted to know if anybody else has worked with him before. This is the kit I am talking about.

Thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_7475.png
    IMG_7475.png
    711.5 KB · Views: 21
I bought mine at Westside motor sports. 97 Speedster. I paid $1,600 for it. Works great. Not sure about this one. Sounds a little cheap. It also takes 3 months to get it back.

My boat has two mpems from two different skis and runs but you’d probably want to do that as a last resort option lol
Did u wire up the mpems? I’m just trying to get this boat back up and going and hate to send some guy $500 bucks for mpems and not get them or get screwed over on the money!

Are talking to OSD Marine?? I've had nothing but good relations with them since I started restoring skis about 5 years ago.

Are talking to OSD Marine?? I've had nothing but good relations with them since I started restoring skis about 5 years ago.
Yes I was just trying to get information cause for the mpem kit they only take cash or money orders. They don’t take credit cards so with all the scam happy people out there just wanted to be better safe then sorry. I appreciate the info on them and will get a kit ordered and get that boat back running!!
Thanks

If this MPEM I bought doesn't work I may in the same proverbial boat. LOL I may end up delving into the damaged MPEM to see if it can be repaired. Prices are insane.... I just want to help people get their equipment back running.

If this MPEM I bought doesn't work I may in the same proverbial boat. LOL I may end up delving into the damaged MPEM to see if it can be repaired. Prices are insane.... I just want to help people get their equipment back running.
Yea so my mpem kept blowing the 5 amp fuse so I heard people on here talking how the diode under the epoxy goes bad. So I dug all the epoxy out and soldered a new diode matching what came out and it still blows that 5 amp fuse. So that’s why I’m thinking of doing the retrofit kit and going with the separate mpem kits

Yea so my mpem kept blowing the 5 amp fuse so I heard people on here talking how the diode under the epoxy goes bad. So I dug all the epoxy out and soldered a new diode matching what came out and it still blows that 5 amp fuse. So that’s why I’m thinking of doing the retrofit kit and going with the separate mpem kits
I am talking to a guy that knows all about this kinda stuff. He is just experimenting but he might be able o take a look at it. No guarantees. Biggest problem for him is the removal of they epoxy which drives up the cost dramatically.

Did u wire up the mpems? I’m just trying to get this boat back up and going and hate to send some guy $500 bucks for mpems and not get them or get screwed over on the money!
No I did not and I honestly have no clue how they did it, but it ended up working. We had lost the key to the boat and so we hired a guy to fix it and he used two different mpems. Later we found out he’s a meth addict

They hook up just like the one you take out. Wasn't that difficult.

You'll have to identify that the diode was the one that was bad. I did some work with that on a 1996 587 Engine. The diode will keep blowing if you don't correct why it blew. on my 587 it was the rectifier that was bad and it fed 12 volts backwards through the diode. Diodes don't fail for no reason. Good Luck with it.

You'll have to identify that the diode was the one that was bad. I did some work with that on a 1996 587 Engine. The diode will keep blowing if you don't correct why it blew. on my 587 it was the rectifier that was bad and it fed 12 volts backwards through the diode. Diodes don't fail for no reason. Good Luck with it.
The diode did not blow, the fuse blows. The diode is fine, and possibly was before. I replaced it just to make sure. Thank you for replying. I'm just wondering what else could cause the 5 amp fuse to blow immediately when I turn on power if the diode is good.

Remove the fuse. Connect everything like you are going to start the ski and see if there is voltage coming from the incorrect direction. Something is overloading the fuse. As I mentioned my rectifier was bad, and the wires were shorted internally. Download the repair manual and check the wiring diagram.

Seadoo FREE Manuals

Just wanting to confirm, the rectifier could cause the fuse to blow just by having 12 v power on? I'm not trying to start it or anything. Keyfob is not attached. I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

My rectifier was shorted internally so it sent 12v backwards to the MPEM. I replaced the MPEM with a used one and my mentor told me to just plug it in and see if it works. At the time I did not understand anything about how the electrics worked and the ski promply blew the $80 replacement part. I now have both my old units repaired. I thought I'd use them as test units but I have not had any issues with that sort of thing. I connected wires from the MPEM to get the diode out where I could reach and replace it easier in case it blew during testing. :D I never needed it again. That was 5 years ago. I couldn't find any pictures of the diode location in the MPEM at the time so after I get into it... I posted a bunch on the internet to help people. If you find pictures on the net... they will likely be the ones I posted. :D

1996 SPI MPEM Diode Repair (6).jpg

1996 SPI MPEM Diode Repair (12).jpg

Back