1996 seadoo xp fuel line replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.crane

:seeya: hi everyone this is my first post on the forum and need some advice

so i just bought this 1996 seadoo xp800 which i was told was not used very much and i knew that the gray fuel lines would need to be replaced but i thought i could get away with it for a while before getting around to it. but, having water tested it, the engine will die while revving up and after some research i found that it was indeed the fuel lines deteriorating and clogging the fuel filter and that they would need to be replaced along with the carbs cleaned. i currently have it at a dealer to get it looked at and i will probably have them do the carb work which will be about $200 but i am thinking about replacing the fuel lines myself and was wondering how difficult a job it would be and what parts/tools i would need and any advice or if i should just have the dealer do it for me

It is challenging as it is tight quarters. Simply do one line at a time as this will prevent a common issue of crossing the lines both at the carbs and the fuel selector. The fuel selector needs to be replaced, its 20 bucks. You can clean it but they fail often enough you are better off replacing it. Replace all filters, clean the filters in the carbs ( which the dealer should do as they are doing the carbs) and replace the line between the carbs.

Not difficult, just a hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forum. Most here will say DIY. You would need about 20' of 1/4" line and a couple dozen stainless clamps. Change them one line at a time so you don't misplace any of the when reinstalling. The ones at the fuel baffle are the ones easiest to get out of place.

Do you know what oil the prior owner was using? You may want to clean the oil tank and start fresh there too, filter as well. Be sure to use a fully synthetic oil rated API TC. Also clean the RAVE's and change the oil in the jet pump.

alright, i will buy the parts i need and give it a try when it gets back from the dealer thanks for the advice:thumbsup:i`ll let you know how it goes

alright, i will buy the parts i need and give it a try when it gets back from the dealer thanks for the advice:thumbsup:i`ll let you know how it goes

If the dealer is rebuilding and/or cleaning the carbs, if you have dual carbs, have them change the fuel line between the carbs. This will eliminate you needing to pull the carbs off again just to get to the line.

Change the fuel lines before you take the ski to the dealer to do the carbs, also clean or replace the fuel selector valve, clean the fuel filter/water seperator. You will also need about 6' of 5/16" fuel hose in addition to the 1/4" hose.

Lou

Change the fuel lines before you take the ski to the dealer to do the carbs, also clean or replace the fuel selector valve, clean the fuel filter/water seperator. You will also need about 6' of 5/16" fuel hose in addition to the 1/4" hose.

Lou

Not on a 96 xp you don't on a 97xp you do and on 97-99 spx you do also. 1/4 hose only on a 96 xp.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I second changing the line before it goes to the dealer.

Or, have them call you one the carbs are off. Go get it, do the lines and return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

i`m sad to say this but it turns out it has scorched cylinders and i will be bringing it back to the dealer we bought it from to see what they can do for us seeing as they sold it to us saying it was in good running condition. weird thing though, the mechanic told us that it has only 39 hours on it 20 of which were put on last year so it has been sitting and it apparently had some water in it as well

i really hope they will fix it for us if not i will have to start to look for a new 800 powered x4 to replace it

Running with a fuel problem can easily scorch the cylinders. The fuel carries lubricant through the crankcase and into the cylinders so if there's a lack of fuel it also means there will be a lack of lubricant. Also, the fuel actually cools the piston crowns, so lack of piston crown cooling can cause the piston to expand beyond allowable tolerances, transfer aluminum to the cylinder walls and cause the rings to stick to the cylinder walls, which will cause scoring.

I have a 97 xp that has 100 hrs and it has an engine that needs work. Brought it in for hard starting, and they showed me the black streaks on the sides of the pistons. I thought 100 hrs was low hours, but my daughter swamped it twice and I guess that is enough to damage an engine.

there was obviously some fraud going on because the ski is far from perfect cosmetic condition and it had scrapes on the bottom from being beached there is no way it only has 39 hours.
does anyone know how it could have been tampered with to reset the hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back