Does 99 XP need the recharge jet in the accel pump line?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

wabbastang

Restoring a '99 XP. The carbs were previously rebuilt by last owner with new lines, but never run, so I cannot say how it was originally set up. Rebuild was done a few years ago without Mikuni parts and the needle valves don't hold pressure, so doing it again before assembling ski.

When I rebuilt carbs for my '98, I learned all about the hidden recharge jet which was present in the line from the accelerator pump. I reinstalled it.

On the '99, the jet is not there (again, it was previously rebuilt, could have easily been discarded). However, I have read that it may not have come on the '99s. Parts diagrams don't show it, but also most of the '98 diagrams didn't show it either. The '99 does have a different accelerator pump than the '98s also (may have eliminated the need for it?).

Trying to determine if I need to source one of these jets and install it in the line. Input?

IF it doesn't show on the 99' diagram then it probably doesn't use it. I honestly can't remember.

I have it in my parts break down catalog, for 98 GTX ltd, here is the pic. Its item #72 bottom left PTO pic. I searched using the word recharge and found it, might want to try that.

Attachments

• carb parts breakdown.JPG
    carb parts breakdown.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 6
Looking at all the diagrams it shows on all XP 1998-2002 except for 1999. I would say it should be on the 99' also but was a mistake on the parts diagram if I had to guess. Especially since they have identical jetting specs.

I ran my 97 xp a while without the little recharge jet when I replaced all my fuel lines. Didn’t realize it was in there. Thank goodness I hadn’t throw the old small hose away and went back retrieved it and installed in my new line. I didn’t notice any difference with and without it so I started doing a little research on it. What I remember reading some where is that the single purpose of that jet is to keep the engine from stalling when you dump the throttle from WOT to idle. I’m not sure how that would happen if the check valve was functioning properly, but that is what i read somewhere. Some say it is a metering jet, but doesn’t the nozzles do that. This part is still a mystery to me.

I was initially thinking that the '99 diagram was a mistake, but they are quite a bit different between the '98 and 99 (relatively speaking) - enough to make me think it is intentional. I have a 98 [GTX] and 99, and while everything else is pretty much identical, the accelerator pump is different on the 99. And then going to the '00 diagram, the jet is back. I wonder if they made a change to the pump in '99 and thought the jet could go away, but then went 'oops' and brought it back again in '00.

I think I'll source a jet and put it in.

Back