1994 sea doo gts 580

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoyer44

hello i have a 1994 sea doo gts 580, will start on trailer and in water, but wont accelerate over 5mph , replaced stator,mpem,coil,voltage regulator,battery,plugs,rings,wear ring,carb rebuild,spark plugs,drained fuel tank,new oil,new pistons. new jet pump oil....cant figure out why it wont run correctly in water. any answers

I see you replaced your top end but did you ever check compression? Maybe your outer crank seals are leaking?

i checked compression i was 150psi both cylinders, cant figure this out, hoping to get this running by 4th of july havnt got to enjoy water yet.please reply

have the grey fuel lines been replaced? And is the engine Rpms revving high or is it bogging down when you give it gas?

Seems like you've already replaced all the obvious... I'm thinking maybe your running lean from outer crank seals leaking

Whats the history of the ski? Last worked on (disassembly). Does PTO rotate easily with *plugs out?
I'd bet the RV timing is not correct. A single carb 587 would be 116*, and plate would face ( toward motor front.

Bills86e

The engine side of RV has a pointer at the top left that is 130* With the Mag cyl at TDC the
mag hole is in open and the plate edge is to the right of pointer (use your clear plastic degree wheel) about even with PTO cylinder front edge. (approximately)
This is a good time to replace the oil pump 3/32" tygon lines!

Definitely check your timing to rule that out as well and If you haven't already check your fuel selector for leaks and clean it and your fuel filter make sure o ring is sealing it and has no air leaks and then check to make sure you have good fuel flow to carb...

i have a great fuel flow and no leaks from fuel filter, lines are all clear and giving great fuel flow. one thing I forgot to mention is what I do is I back my trailer in water and start it up and I ride (7mph) fastest full throttle and bogging....but after a while of riding and bogging it shut off and wouldn't restart , itll turn over but wont start

If you are running 7mph at full throttle you need to stop. Something is wrong and if it is lean you will destroy the new top end. I can't say this enough if it is running bad stop riding it.
Did you check the pop off when you rebuilt the carb then do a pressure check on the carb once back together to check for leaks?

i don't have a pop off pressure gauge the carb was gummed up bad,;last owner did premix and carb was sludge, should i do needle seat and carb rebuild

In your first post you said you already did a carb rebuild?

If you haven't then yes, that is most likely your running problem.

The carb has to be rebuilt with genuine Mikuni carb kits and needle and seat as well as checking pop off. You can either build or buy a pop off tool.

i apologize guys its a 1993 sea doo gts 580 single carb, does that change timing specs or anything , i have been ordering parts and timing it for a 1994 , but its a 93

That isn't a genuine mikuni kit. You should start by ordering a genuine kit with needle & seat and rebuild it again making sure every passage way is free

give me a list please of step by step things i should do to trouble shoot it not going over 7mph

my phone number
419-966-8986

ive been just replacing everything and i think by now its something little , is there anyone on here i can mail my carb to check popoff pressure
i don't have a gauge and don't wanna purchase one for 1 time use

Sounds exactly like what happened with my daughters 94 SP, it would only go about 5mph on water, I'd give it has and it would just get lout and rattle... No matter what I did. Started going through the checklist... I was lost. Brought it to a friends house, started it out of water, opened it up for a few seconds.. A ton of black carbon shot out of the back end, problem=solved. I got lucky and didn't put a ton of work into it.

94.jpg
as you can see, it's not really my baby... Haven't taken the best care of it over the last 5 or so years. I was just happy I didn't have to sink money into it. After it spit out all the crud, it ran fine. Never really put anymore thought into the why's and how's.

Was finishing my jet pump and I have pump off and I'm turning the prop and it has like cativation and gets caught than frees up,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back