Maintaining Sea Doo batteries over winter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jharding08

I've had my two 1996 Sea Doo GTS PWCs for about 4 years now. They came with EverStart Lead Acid batteries, not sure how old. I have been maintaining them in my garage over the winter with a 2A battery smart charger, where I would charge every month to maintain 100% (12.6V)

Over the years the one battery wouldn't hold a charge, so I bought two new EverStart batteries before last spring. I put the electrolyte in the batteries myself and have to admit its real hard to see the level when filling them up. Any tips on how to get a good idea of the electrolyte level in each cell when filling/checking? I ran the batteries all summer and when winterizing this year, I got a new Schumacher 2A/2 Bank charger/maintainer for both batteries. When I put the batteries on the charger, I charged to 100% just to make sure they were good to go. When I put the batteries on the maintainer, the one shows up yellow then green showing full charge and in maintain mode. The other will shows yellow, then red meaning there is an issue. The troubleshooting for the charger says a red light means the battery either cant be charged, has an initial voltage below 12.2 or it drops below 12.2 and it could be a bad battery. I set both the new batteries up the same way and charged the battery above 12.2 before hooking it up the maintainer. If I leave it off a charge it does dip down to 12V, but I'm wondering why it can't be maintained

I tried checking the electrolyte and it looked good, but again, I can't be confident that I am seeing the level correctly. Anything else I can try? It can't be an old battery

I use a light behind te battry and tip them back and forthe to see the water level. With the movement you can see the level.
I use a BatteryTender and get 4-5 years out of flooded batteries.

BTW: We call the Walmart EverStart batteries NeverStarts as a lot are bad out of the box.

I gave up on lead-acid years ago and went to AGM, and haven't had an issue in 3 years. I use a Battery Tender and just leave it hooked up. Even "premium" lead-acid batteries seemed to fail over the winters...

Back