USCG Auxiliary

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LouDoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm seriously considering the local flotilla of the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I was wondering if there is anyone else who has joined and or have any experience with the Auxiliary.

According to the local guys here they do a lot of the same stuff as the USCG, but no military action or law enforcement. They do things like, courtesy boat inspection, boating safety classes, water patrols, search and rescue, and Coast Guard training.

If anyone has any insight I would be interested.

Lou

IMO, they do more than the CG. The CG is so financially strapped that in most cases they go out for mandatory training and qualifications, SAR (Search and Rescue) cases, and crowded event type patrols. They can't even tow anymore unless it is part of a SAR or the vessel is a hazard to navigation. That is a result of, "infringing on the commercial rights if free enterprise..." Meaning, that local tow companies went tonFed Court and states the USCG was taking their livelihood away from them. Most Auxiliary do enjoy what they do. And to top it off, they get free has out of it. They do a HUGE amount of the complimentary inspections. USCG doesn't do them except in rare cases and after the fact with a SAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few people have been on more boats and have done more things than I have when it comes to boats. Sadly, if we were to know exactly what happened, I'm betting it was more more than a "surprise wake" that caused the accident. I really hope I am wrong, but I would be VERY shocked to find out that I am wrong. No matter the reason, it is always a shame when there is a death involved. And,,, no matter the reason, someone will have to live with knowing the truth,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Few people have been on more boats and have done more things than I have when it comes to boats. Sadly, if we were to know exactly what happened, I'm betting it was more more than a "surprise wake" that caused the accident. I really hope I am wrong, but I would be VERY shocked to find out that I am wrong. No matter the reason, it is always a shame when there is a death involved. And,,, no matter the reason, someone will have to live with knowing the truth,,,

Yeah, I don't know what really happened, I wasn't there, but that boat looked unstable moving through the water to me.

It's entirely up to you, to stay an active member you need to do some minimum things, ie 5 courtesy boat inspections a year, pretty simple. BTW you can do water patrols on Seadoo's according to regulations you need to have one coxswain and one crew so you would need a buddy on another ski, both need to be members.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
So I could sign up, I guess you have to go to a few classes or online test. Then all I would need to do is just inspect 5 boats each year? But I guess I could do other things as well.

Yep, there's a link go to the website, check out New Member Reference Guide, New Member Study Guide and New Member Handbook.

http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?...-member-packet

I you are interested probably the best way to start is go to http://join.cgaux.org and request someone in your area to contact you, I've got 2 guys here help me through the process. Plus if you join, as a bonus you get a SAR SeaDoo, like in my avatar, if you believe that let me sell you a bridge in Brooklyn.

Lou

IF I was closer to retirement... I would probably join too. It's nice to help out, and keep people from getting the tickets that the local rangers pass out.

Lou, I’ve been a member of the Auxiliary since the spring of 01. I’m a qualified VE (Vessel Examiner), UPV (Un-inspected Passenger Vessel) Examiner, IT (Instructor), Crew (on auxiliary vessels), Coxswain (Captain on auxiliary vessels), PWO (Personal Watercraft Operator) plus a few other things. I also hold a couple of appointed positions plus elected offices.

To operate a PWC in the auxiliary you need to pass the PQS (Personal Qualification System)/standards needed to do that task or job. Not hard just takes some time. As for operating a PWC on a patrol there needs to be a minimum of 2 PWC’s operating together or you must operate with an Auxiliary boat or Coast Guard boat. You cannot operate a PWC without another facility (boat or auxiliary PWC) with you. You must do 12 hours of patrols a year to keep your qualifications up to date. You will be reimbursed for fuel used during your patrol and you need to have receipts for the fuel.

If you have any questions, send me an e-mail.

Thanks for responding. Yep I kinda figured that, there's a guy on our lake that's already and qualified Coxswain and I can serve as crew, so we'll probably just use our boat for water patrols. I didn't understand how you could do much in the way of aiding another boat from a PWC, you can't carry much in the way of supplies, and honestly due to the inefficiency of a jet pump you really can't do much in the way of towing either.

I'm thinking at least for me this is a good time of the year to join, and I've got all winter to get some of my qualifications, and least the testing. Winters here pretty much suck, it's cold enough for us to have winter, but not cold enough for winter sports, hardly any snow. The Seadoo's don't need much attention, so this will give me something to do over the winter.

Lou

Back