Basic Rules to Personal Watercraft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RX951

RIDE SMART
A RIDERS GUIDE TO
PERSONAL WATERCRAFT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is a PWC? The official definition of a personal watercraft varies from state to state, but they are generally recognized as a vessel which uses an inboard motor powering a water jet pump as its primary source of motive power, and which is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on the vessel, rather than the conventional manner of sitting or standing in the vessel. PWCs are manufactured by Bombardier (Sea-Doo®), Honda (AquaTrax®), Kawasaki (JET SKI®), Polaris, and Yamaha (WaveRunner®).

Facts On Personal Watercraft
"Personal watercraft" means a vessel less than 12 feet in length, propelled by machinery, that is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on the vessel rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel.
The Law

Personal watercraft (PWC) are subject to the same laws governing the operation of motorboats of the same size. For proper display of registration numbers and stickers, see the Registration section of this page. For more information, see the Department of Boating and Waterways publication, Safe Boating Hints for Personal Watercraft.

5.gif

rules.of.road.gif

To prevent collisions, every operator should follow the three basic rules of navigation:

Practice good seamanship.
Keep a sharp lookout.
Maintain a safe speed.

Lanyard/Self-Circling Device--The law requires a person operating a personal watercraft equipped with a lanyard cutoff switch to attach the lanyard to his or her person. Operating a personal watercraft equipped with a self-circling device is prohibited if the self-circling device has been altered.

Nighttime Operation Prohibited--The law prohibits the operation of a personal watercraft at any time between the hours from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.

Operator Age--It is an infraction for a person under 16 years of age to operate a motorboat of more than 15 horsepower, including personal watercraft. Any person who permits a person under the age of 16 to do so is guilty of an infraction. A person 12-15 may operate a motorboat of more than 15 horsepower if supervised by a person on board who is at least 18 years of age.

Reasonable and Prudent Operation- State law holds that no person shall operate any craft in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person. Some examples are:

Navigating a vessel, skis, or other devices between a towing vessel and its tow or tows.
Operating under the influence of intoxicants or narcotics.
Jumping or attempting to jump the wake of another vessel within 100 feet of the other vessel constitutes unsafe operation, under a new law which went into effect on January 1, 1998. Other actions which constitute unsafe operation are operating a PWC toward any person or vessel in the water and turning sharply so as to spray the person or vessel; and operating at a rate of speed and proximity to another vessel so that either operator is required to swerve at the last minute to avoid collision. Operating a PWC at night (between the hours from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise) is illegal under the new law, even if the PWC is equipped with the proper navigational lights.

Water Smart Responsibilities
Assume the responsibility for the safe operation of this powerboat and the safety of my passangers.
Respect the righhts of others in, on and near the water.
Practiced personal watercraft operation under the instruction of a mature and experienced rider.
Never carry non-swimmers.
Recklessness Spoils The Fun Of It All
Most personal watercraft injuries result form COLLISIONS caused by rider

CARELESNESS
OVERCONFIDENCE
INEXPERIENCE

Always operate your personal watercraft safely and responsibly, and in accordance with the manufacture's directions.
Riding takes practice.
Allow plenty of time to learn how to safely operate your personal watercraft. Be sure to obtain and read the US Coast Gaurd's Safe Boating Guide.

Know.... Before You Go!

1. Know your craft and how it operates

2. Know your local boating laws

3. Know navigational marks and signs

4. Know the rules of the road

A Personal Watercraft Code of Ethics

1. I will respect the rights of all users of recreational waterways, both on public waters and adjacent private property.
2. I will be considerate of other users at the launch ramps and docks.
3. I will follow the navigation rules of the road around all other vessels, including regulations prohibiting wake jumping.
4. I will give all anchored or drifting vessels plenty of room.
5. I will always operate at headway speed in "no wake" zones.
6. When approaching shore, I will be especially aware of swimmers, divers and other craft.
7. I will not disturb wildlife and will avoid areas posted for the protection of wildlife.
8. I will not litter the shore, nor be careless with fuel or oil.
9. I will volunteer assistance in case of emergency.
10. I will determine my speed by my equipment, my ability, the weather, wave conditions and especially other vessel traffic.
11. I will not interfere with others' boating pleasure.
12. I will pay close attention to the noise level of my PWC and be aware of how others are reacting.

6.gif

Considerations

Launch ramp etiquette. Be considerate and efficient when launching your personal watercraft. Prepare your craft beforehand, and perform all safety checks before you get to the water. Launch quickly and quietly.
Noise. Be considerate of waterfront property owners and others near and on the water. Excessive noise from poorly maintained or modified exhaust systems disturb others and is illegal in many areas.
Environment. Respect ecologically-sensitive areas. Don't spill fuel or oil and don't leave litter or other pollutants where they don't belong. Be sensitive to marine life; the water is their home.
Other water enthusiasts. Personal watercraft riders must share the waterways with other boaters, fishermen, swimmers, surfers, and skiers, so respect their rights to safety, access, and use of the water.

:!: Take a course :!:
Safe boating instruction is available from a variety of sources. To make inquiries, contact:
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary: (800) 869-SAIL(7245)
U.S. Power Squadrons: (800) SEA-SKIL (732-7545)
Your local personal watercraft dealer
Coast Guard Toll Free Hotline
For answers to your boating safety questions call the U.S. Coast Guard Customer Infoline: (800) 368-5647

Ride Smart. Ride Sober
Never operate your personal watercraft under the influence of alchol. Alcohol imapairs your ability to make good quick decisions - and execute them. Qualities which are critical when driving a fast and manoeuverable vessel like a personal watercraft.
Moreover, driving a vehicle - including any vessel - under the influence of alcohol or drugs is punishable under the criminal code of any state.
Operating a boat while consuming alcohol is illegal.

All personal watercraft must be licenced and/or registered.

pwc.registration.gif

Rules of the Road

6.gif

LEARN THE RULES OF THE ROAD

Stay well clear of other boats and yield to them scince they are less manoeuverable. When in the vicinity of other boats you are obliged to maintain speed and course. When meeting head on, keep Right.
The Royal Life Saving Society Canada thanks the Canadian Coast Guard, Allied Boating Association of Canada and the Canadian Watercraft Training Centre for assistance in the development of this publication.

The Cold Wet Facts About Cold Water
Immersion in cold water can result in a real life-threatening drop in body temperature (hypothermia). Hypothermia can also be caused by chilling wind, rain and perspiration.

To avoid danger
Prepare for cold air and water by dressing properly - including wearing your Personal Flotation Device. With a whistle fastened to your PFD or lifejacket you can signal for help.

If you end up in cold water
If you can, get out of the water as soon as possible. Cold water robs body heat 25 times faster than air of the same temperature. Climb back on your craft.

Stay with your craft
Do not try to swim to shore in cold water unless you are very close to safety and you have no expectation of speedy assistance.

Swimming, treading water and survival floating (drownproofing) all use up valuable energy and produce rapid heat loss. If you can't get out of the water, wearing your PFD will help increase your survival time by keeping your head out of the water.

Recommended Protective Equipment
7.gif

Anatomy of a Personal Watercraft

8.gif

:!: PWC don'ts :!:

74.jpg

9.gif

nopwc.jpg

:!: Always Refer to your Manuals for proper information
pwc_reboarding.gif

pwc_overturning.gif

State laws...?

Excellent information. It's great to have a place where you can at least see what some rules of safe boating are.

Rules for operating a PWC or boat though, vary from state to state. For instance, in the state of Alabama, your not allowed to have a rider on backward as a spotter. The only way you can tow with a jet ski is if you have mirrors that are fixed to the hull, not the steering and they must have a total area of 10 square inches (2"X5").

All operators must be have a vessel endorsement on their drivers license to operate a boat or PWC. No one under the age of 12 is allowed to operate a vessel, with or without supervision.

Night time operation of a PWC is authorized if it is outfitted with navigation lights. You can purchase the portable clamp-on nav lights from Walmart and legally ride in the night time hours.

Also, you are not allowed to have any open alcohol containers in the boat while it's moving. You can only drink while it's moored.

These rules have been covered somewhat in other areas of the forum, but this thread is a bit more detailed. Though most of them are "no brainer" rules, I strongly recommend that all users check their local laws for the states in which they are licensed to make sure you don't get a ticket. Boating rules do change from state to state.

You should be able to find your states boating laws by using google. Use a search term like, "boating laws for the state of Texas"... or where ever you hail from..........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back