U185 vs U205

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jshaley

Hey,

I have leads on a 2001 Utopia 185 and a 2002 Utopia 205. The 185 is with the carb'd engine, the 205 has the 240 Optimax (says the seller, Boattest.com says the 240 is EFI?). The 205 is down to $11k and the 185 s currently at $9500. I think I can push that down a bit, especially the 185.

Other than the difference in asking prices and years I am trying to weigh the merits of the boats - would love any input.

The 185 has the swing bench seats, which I think I prefer. More seating.

The 240 would be more fuel efficient.

The 185 may be easier to service - both by myself and finding techs familar with it.

Is one engine more reliable than the other?

The 205 is 200lbs heavier. My van is rated for 3500lbs so I have to pay attention to this. But the trailer has brakes, which may make it a safer tow.

205 has that spiffy table.

185 may be easier to store, but it looks like only a foot of difference when looking at actual boat lengths.

The 205 is blue rather than green :)

Less smoke with the fuel injected model.

The 185 is sold by a dealer that says they will stand behind the engine for 30 days. I also have sea trialed this boat.

185 has small tear in seat and bimini, 205 seems flawless from pictures. But I have kids - the boat will be dinged eventually.

Your thoughts?

If the 205 with the 240efi is a clean example and if the 240efi gets a clean bill of health from a certified mercury shop its a no brainer for me which I'd choose. The $1500 more will buy you a bigger boat with better performance with Fuel injection.

Craig

:agree::agree: more power = happiness!

plus your old lady can use the table to make you some samiches.

my 100th post:)

Table

No joke, the table is an important motivator. She is not a boater. Said she might be inclined to try a pontoon :(, but heck - throw 8 people on the 205 and slap the table down, put up the bimini and wah-laa! I think there is even a porti-potty option I can put under the tree for her at Christmas.

John

Nothing lets your women know how much you care like giving her a porta potty on Christmas day! Just dont give it to her used

I recently purchased the 185. It's a nice boat, trailers easy. It's too long for my garage so I was thinking about getting one of those collapsable tongues.

I do wish I had that floor locker I think the 205 has, the table is very nice too. I definately like the 205 over the 185, but I also think price is an issue. I ended up paying $5700 for mine. Any of the 205's were up over 10K so for me it was a no brainer.

185 vs. 205

I have a U185 and I love it however a 205 would be nice too. I have as many as 5 adults on my 185 and we still had plenty of room. You mentioned that it was a carbureted it should be a 200 Optimax, the NADA says a 210 carbureted but I’ve never seen one with the 210 only the 200 DFI, 240 EFI and on rare occasions I’ve seen a 250 Optimax. When you took it out for a sea trial did you notice any loud vibrations between 2600 – 3100 RPMs? Also do you know how many hours or on each boat?

Hours

The 185 does not have an hour meeting. I noticed no strange vibrations. The 185 is carb'd - am I off in thinking that this might be easier to service. I've seen posts where it is mentioned that some shops do not invest in the gear needed to service the fuel injected models but they are everywhere these days...

yeah, the 2 foot-itus. Been there before...

200hp is optimax with direct injection

210hp is carb'd model

240hp EFI

250hp is optimax with direct injection

Which ever you choose make sure you have it checked out by a competent mercury technician who gives it a clean bill of health.

Craig

Have you decided yet.

have you made up your mind yet ? If you go with the 205 would you let me know where the 185 is, I would be interested at that price. Here in Ontario I can't find a 98/99 challenger for under $11,000 and with the Can dollar so high right now the option to buy in the U.S is a feasible
Thanks Frank

Karagreg,

That is an unusually high bowrise on your boat(pic of your avatar)...was this the start of a run?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe my father-in-law was driving and he was going easy because my son was in the tube (only 6). Tube warned us not to go over 20 m.p.h. I guess not a high speed tube.

Is it bad or just fuel INefficient?

I believe my father-in-law was driving and he was going easy because my son was in the tube (only 6). Tube warned us not to go over 20 m.p.h. I guess not a high speed tube.

Is it bad or just fuel INefficient?

That's normal. Mine sits like that whenever I am towing the smaller kids on a tube, or people that like to wake board around 18mph. Much above that and it flattens out.

Aaron:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back