Loose stater and shaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
2005 utopia 240 EFI . Red light came on off and on .Brought it to a mechanic. They tested everything couldnt find reason light would come on.They took it on the water .Stated they seen the stater vibrating. Saying its caused by a bent (what ever holds the stater in postion )is bent. Said it would cost more to fix it than the boat was worth. I dont understand how they can see somthing vibrating .Isnt the stater in the engine .Can anyone help me under stand this .First boat i ever bought had it for three yrs .

2005 utopia 240 EFI . Red light came on off and on .Brought it to a mechanic. They tested everything couldnt find reason light would come on.They took it on the water .Stated they seen the stater vibrating. Saying its caused by a bent (what ever holds the stater in postion )is bent. Said it would cost more to fix it than the boat was worth. I dont understand how they can see somthing vibrating .Isnt the stater in the engine .Can anyone help me under stand this .First boat i ever bought had it for three yrs .

Point of clarity because details matter---
Stator or Starter?

There is one starter bolted to the outside of the engine.

There are 2 stators.
One is electric, and powers the ignition. Under the flywheel.

The other stator is the back half of the jet drive unit. Under water when stopped.

On the older boats (like mine), the red light would come on for several reasons.
Most common was low oil in the header tank.
Or overheating.

Yes they said stater. Is it possible to see a vibrating stater. Red light came on about every5 min or so for me. After paying close to a thousand dollars to find this out is it realy not worth keeping the boat. But how can you see a vibrating stater. Thank you for responding

Yes they said stater. Is it possible to see a vibrating stater. Red light came on about every5 min or so for me. After paying close to a thousand dollars to find this out is it realy not worth keeping the boat. But how can you see a vibrating stater. Thank you for responding
Must assume they mean the jet stator.
The only reason I can think of for a visible vibration would be a bent impeller shaft. Or something is not mounted properly and securely.
Can you get them to be more specific?

Thank you but they are a bunch off well i cant swear here but uou know what imean. I went tonpick boat up. Found cigarettes and cafine drinks in the boat. I spent sn intire eeek polishing the seats and inferior. Picjed it up and everything was scuffed marked and dirty. Questioned them and thry said oh well kids must of jumped the frnce snd was partying in the boats. So if i like i could take it back to them znd they woud wash it. The owner said (well kids will be kids ) Its over an hour drive to them. But thank you for the response. So if it is that stater and shaft is it fixable or too costly to fix. I had plans on trading it in at the end of this season for a pontoon. You have sny. Sugestions ?

Thank you but they are a bunch off well i cant swear here but uou know what imean. I went tonpick boat up. Found cigarettes and cafine drinks in the boat. I spent sn intire eeek polishing the seats and inferior. Picjed it up and everything was scuffed marked and dirty. Questioned them and thry said oh well kids must of jumped the frnce snd was partying in the boats. So if i like i could take it back to them znd they woud wash it. The owner said (well kids will be kids ) Its over an hour drive to them. But thank you for the response. So if it is that stater and shaft is it fixable or too costly to fix. I had plans on trading it in at the end of this season for a pontoon. You have sny. Sugestions ?

If you know a machinist, he has the tools to check for a bent shaft
If it is bent, I believe it requires pulling the engine to pull the impeller shaft.
That is a pretty stout shaft. What could bend it? A rock jammed between the impeller and wear ring???
Take a look with a flashlight up into the pump intake tunnel. The 4 blades are the leading edges of the impeller. What do they look like? Clean and kind of sharp? Or smashed edges like it has ground up rocks? Are all the blades the same distance from the inside of the wear ring? Can you have someone crank the engine while you watch the shaft? Fingers clear!!!

Is there a chance that the bolts holding the stator are just loose?

Back