Confused newbee

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rteichman

I bought a 2001 Chalenger 1800 about a month ago now. I bought it from someone in Seattle and I live in Portland. This being my first SeaDoo I had the seller take it to a marina that worked on Merc engines to check it out. It checked out fine, and they even water tested it for me. I showed up a couple days later and brought it home. Since then it has sat in my garage waiting for the summer.

This weekend its supossed to be real nice so I want to finally try it out. Before doing that I want to make sure it starts up. After reading the manual and this forum I understand that I have to connect a hose and have the water runing before I start (240 EFI engine). I plan to do that tomorrow. My confussion is from something else I read. I am supposed to start the engine for a test run before using the boat ramp (so as to make sure it starts and not hinder other people). However, how do I do that there when there is no hose to hook up??

Also, is it OK to put the battery on a trickle charger before taking it out?

Unless they have a hose hookup at the ramp you can't. If you start it before you leave the house it should start when you put into the water. I'm not sure about Merc. powered Seadoo's but I have a Merc. stern drive and it's a big no no to start it dry.

Lou

I would never start a mercury stern drive dry, or any other motor including an outboard that uses a rubber impeller in the seawater cooling pump, it will tear it up the impeller in less than a few seconds. I wouldn't even crank these motors over with the starter if there was any chance for it to actually start running.

That said, I believe you can start the sportjet briefly, I wouldn't allow it to run dry more than 10~15 seconds. I've head sometimes though, the sportjet can backfire into a dry exhaust and bend the ride plate, so I'm a little concerned this might happen to you.

My larger overall concern is, every owner should have and read the owners manuals thoroughly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I hooked up the flush line and started it for a few seconds to make sure it runs. Tomorrow is my first day on the water with it. Wish me luck. As for reading the manuals, I read the seadoo manual and the Merc manual, and took the Oregon boat safety course. It was the course material that said run the engine before getting online at the ramp. I guess I won't follow that instruction.

I've been boating most of my life, more years than I care to remember, and I know of very few boats that can be started out of the water with no hose attached, so IMO the Oregon boat safety course is wrong. A few exceptions include Rotax, and some older inboards most other boats require a water supply or the water pump impellers will be damaged in a very short time.

BTW is was a very good idea to take the boating safety course.
Lou

I was simply attempting to say you should consult your sportjet manual for their advice on dry starting. As far as I know, it should be acceptable for a short burst but my concern is I've heard absence of water can cause a backfire.

I don't intend on reading the sportjet manual myself.

I guess that's why we all have opinions to go with our years of experience. Take any advice for what it is worth, an opinion.

I personally, have dry-fired my engines at the ramp each and every time for decades. I will never be "that guy" that sits in line waiting for his chance to finally dip in the water only to crank and crank and not be able to start.

With a properly maintained engine, and charged batteries, I am happy to say that has not happened. But I also make it part of my routine to fire up the engine if only for a couple seconds to be sure it will fire once we are at the ramp. Without tearing down the engine, I would not be able to report what damage it has done, but has never left me stranded.

I have done this with 3 Yamaha Waverunners, and our current 240efi SportJet. We are not running them long enough to heat them up, so the cooling from a water hose was not necessary. If you are worried about lubrication for an impeller, you have to remind yourself that the Merc SportJet drains all water, so even when you start it in the water, it may be dry to start off with.

Good Luck

Jet boat and jet ski engines are not an issue with a SHORT dry run. Things that have rubber impellers that pump cooling water will be damaged if run dry. They make silicone impellers that will take much more abuse than the rubber impellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back