2001 Utopia 185 - solid tone

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

guyandlisajo

When it rains it pours...I had the boat out for a few days since I got it back from my mechanic. They replaced the whole reed assembly and did a bunch of other work. Now when I turn it on, I get a solid tone. It never goes away. the engine starts fine, but the tone is constant. I thought maybe the oil was low and it is not. I charged my battery and that is putting out 13V so it shouldn't be that.

Even when I just turn the key to the on position and don't start the engine I get the tone. Any one have any ideas? I have searched the forum to find out if someone has the meaning of the tone and I could not find info.

I have not been able to use the boat for 90% of the season here in New York so I am really hoping someone can help out and I can get it on the water a few times before I have to winterize it.

When it rains it pours...I had the boat out for a few days since I got it back from my mechanic. They replaced the whole reed assembly and did a bunch of other work. Now when I turn it on, I get a solid tone. It never goes away. the engine starts fine, but the tone is constant. I thought maybe the oil was low and it is not. I charged my battery and that is putting out 13V so it shouldn't be that.

Even when I just turn the key to the on position and don't start the engine I get the tone. Any one have any ideas? I have searched the forum to find out if someone has the meaning of the tone and I could not find info.

I have not been able to use the boat for 90% of the season here in New York so I am really hoping someone can help out and I can get it on the water a few times before I have to winterize it.

The first suspect is in fact the oil level in the header tank. Not actually the oil; but the oil level sensor.
There are 2 blue wires. Unplug them and make a temporary jumper to plug into the harness. Does your beep go away? If yes, you need a new oil tank cap. It has the sensor in it. Very simple, but they do fail.
If no, we need to dig deeper.

The first suspect is in fact the oil level in the header tank. Not actually the oil; but the oil level sensor.
There are 2 blue wires. Unplug them and make a temporary jumper to plug into the harness. Does your beep go away? If yes, you need a new oil tank cap. It has the sensor in it. Very simple, but they do fail.
If no, we need to dig deeper.
I found the blue wires and pulled out the sensor thinking there would be a place for me to unplug and bypass like you said, however I am not seeing it. Looks like it goes into the black part directly and the other end is not a quick connect fitting. I attached pictures, just not seeing where I can unplug them.

Attachments

• IMG_4587.JPG
    IMG_4587.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4588.JPG
    IMG_4588.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4589.JPG
    IMG_4589.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4590.JPG
    IMG_4590.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4591.JPG
    IMG_4591.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4592.JPG
    IMG_4592.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 15
I found the blue wires and pulled out the sensor thinking there would be a place for me to unplug and bypass like you said, however I am not seeing it. Looks like it goes into the black part directly and the other end is not a quick connect fitting. I attached pictures, just not seeing where I can unplug them.

You found the connectors in pic 4592. Those are in fact bullet connectors. They just pull apart. Don't pull on the wires. Pull the connectors. Any wire will work as a jumper. Even a bent up paper clip.

As Poppie said- your oil tank looks empty. Time to open the cap for a look.

While you have sensor out, touch a magnet to it to see if your beeping stops.

You found the connectors in pic 4592. Those are in fact bullet connectors. They just pull apart. Don't pull on the wires. Pull the connectors. Any wire will work as a jumper. Even a bent up paper clip.

As Poppie said- your oil tank looks empty. Time to open the cap for a look.

While you have sensor out, touch a magnet to it to see if your beeping stops.

I double checked the oil in the reservoir and it was full. I took a swimming pool testing strip and dunked it. Instant oil. So that is full.

I must be doing something wrong. I tried to pull apart the bullet connectors but the wrap around them is stopping it. Do I need to cut that open?

I double checked the oil in the reservoir and it was full. I took a swimming pool testing strip and dunked it. Instant oil. So that is full.

I must be doing something wrong. I tried to pull apart the bullet connectors but the wrap around them is stopping it. Do I need to cut that open?

No need to cut anything. The plastic weather seals on the connectors has "fused" to one another. May have been 20+ years since they were apart. They just pull apart.
The connectors- not the wires.

So I ended up getting it fixed. The mechanic that fixed the reeds never called me back after multiple messages.. I found someone else in my area that would work on seadoo jet boats and he fixed it in 20 minutes. The previous mechanic never put the connector back on the oil pump. The guy that fixed it said I was lucky cause if I had actually gone out on the lake with it I could have blown the engine. He ended up charging me 1/2 time to fix it so I was just happy it was fixed. Just had it winterized today cause it is low 50's here now but if anyone else runs into this issue, it is an oil alarm and to check not only the oil levels, but the oil pump connections.

Back