‘06 Challenger 180 SCIC 215hp check engine and oil temp light

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dylanjl

Hey all
Recently picked up a really clean 2006 challenger 180 215hp SCIC..
Everything OK first couple times I took it out - only thing was if I hit the throttle hard from standstill it felt like it hit a revlimiter and I had to back off the throttle a bit and slowly build up speed- other than that ok.
The third time on the water.. after chilling on water with engine off for about 30 minutes, go to start and head to dock … it cranks and doesn’t fire.. after about 5 tries it fires up and just before I get to the dock I get a solid beep and engine oil light so immediately pulled the key. I restarted after few seconds and it was fine and I docked.
The following weekend we launched and after putting through no wake zone I accelerated and immediately got check engine light and a beep..so I pulled the key immediately. I restarted a couple times and kept getting this error.. while trying get back to dock on other side of no wake zone it was just a cycle of cutting out and restarting, I then got engine oil light and it went it a limp mode where it was moving at low rpm with a solid beep. Took boat out and on trailer it started up after 3 tries and idled no problem..took it home to flush it and it started right up first shot and idled etc no problem.
Oil was changed by mechanic right before I bought boat, coolant reservoir was filled to correct level, new plugs and carbon seal days before I bought it.
I checked the intake grate and pump - all is good from that angle - I didn’t see any obvious issues like objects sucked up or anything.
Where do I start? Do I need to order the candoo scanner ($449 on eBay) before I randomly replace parts? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Dylan

I think buying a candoopro is a great idea anyway if you’re gonna own this thing for a while. (I did and am way happy with it)

Just to ensure you’ve covered the basics though, engine oil level is ok right? Dipstick is in the cross hatch area? Could be a bad oil pressure sending unit if so.

IMG_7860.pngthis looks high if I’m not mistaken. I bought this from a seadoo mechanic who did the fluids right before I bought it.

It’s so tricky for these things but that does look pretty high. I think you’re supposed to start the engine and let it run for 10-20 seconds and shut it off for a min or two, then check it. But even at that, my oil level only fluctuates a tiny bit. You can siphon from the dipstick tube. Matter of fact, that’s the procedure for “draining” when you change the oil.

If it really is as high as it looks, that will cause running issues too.

Ps. That oil looks old and nasty, I don’t think he changed it if he said he did. I’d to a full oil drain and fill and replace the filter if it were me. They take 3 quarts, and make sure you get either BRP mineral oil or a synthetic that is specifically designed for the supercharged motors, it has to have the friction modifier so it doesn’t cause the supercharger clutches to slip and get ruined.

Thanks for great advice. I will definitely do that. I did use a spirit-level to ensure the boat /trailer was level before checking. Appreciate the help!

Back