2006 gtx sc 185 won't crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

skyline3116

So when I put my ski in this year, I noticed it had a misfire, so I drove it a few minutes to my floating dock. I left it and didn't really think it was anything more than spark plugs or something simple like a coil pack. Fast forward a month or so, and I went to start it and the battery was low, so I went and got a new battery.

Installed the new battery and now it won't crank. I get one long beep when the key is installed. Cluster shows normal operation. I cleaned all of the terminals and cleaned the engine ground.

According to the service manual it says that its something wrong with the DESS system or its the ECU/MPEM

I checked all of the fuses on the MPEM and replaced starter solenoid.

Jumped the solenoid and it cranks but won't start. I don't hear the fuel pump start when I install the key.

Everything is leading me to believe its the ECU. The misfire and the fact that the MPEM seems like its fine, no burnt fuses, and cluster works normal.

Anyway I can test the ECU without candoo?

Any chance it could be the DESS post?

I tried both of my keys, same long beep.

I read that the ECU for this particular ski (2006 gtx SC 185) is impossible to find used, and also incompatible with any other ecu's.

The ECU part number is 420664568 (ecu says 664568)

Thanks for the help, if anyone knows of anyone that can repair ecu's or a replacement, please let me know

So when I put my ski in this year, I noticed it had a misfire, so I drove it a few minutes to my floating dock. I left it and didn't really think it was anything more than spark plugs or something simple like a coil pack. Fast forward a month or so, and I went to start it and the battery was low, so I went and got a new battery.

Installed the new battery and now it won't crank. I get one long beep when the key is installed. Cluster shows normal operation. I cleaned all of the terminals and cleaned the engine ground.

According to the service manual it says that its something wrong with the DESS system or its the ECU/MPEM

I checked all of the fuses on the MPEM and replaced starter solenoid.

Jumped the solenoid and it cranks but won't start. I don't hear the fuel pump start when I install the key.

Everything is leading me to believe its the ECU. The misfire and the fact that the MPEM seems like its fine, no burnt fuses, and cluster works normal.

Anyway I can test the ECU without candoo?

Any chance it could be the DESS post?

I tried both of my keys, same long beep.

I read that the ECU for this particular ski (2006 gtx SC 185) is impossible to find used, and also incompatible with any other ecu's.

The ECU part number is 420664568 (ecu says 664568)

Thanks for the help, if anyone knows of anyone that can repair ecu's or a replacement, please let me know
If you get one long beep that means the key isn't recognized. It will prevent the ski from starting. You either have a key or dess post issue most likely.
Edit: if you tried both keys then I would start with dess post

It will never start until you get 2 beeps. Candoo won't help you with this and can't really test ECUs. One long beep can be a voltage problem or a communication problem with the cluster as well.

It will never start until you get 2 beeps. Candoo won't help you with this and can't really test ECUs. One long beep can be a voltage problem or a communication problem with the cluster as well.
Cluster powers up and seems to be working fine.

Replaced the DESS post today, no change.

Guessing its the ECM? I tried both keys I have and both aren't working.

I have seen ECUs lose their key programming but usually it's after they sit for a long time. Have you tried a key that you know it isn't programmed to your ECU to see if it does the exact same thing?

I have seen ECUs lose their key programming but usually it's after they sit for a long time. Have you tried a key that you know it isn't programmed to your ECU to see if it does the exact same thing?
Would the cluster power up with a key that wasn’t programmed?

Following up with any ideas. Haven't located a new ECU for this thing yet. Battery is new. DESS post is new. Both keys give the same one long beep. Fuel pump does not power up when the key is installed. Fuses are good. Starter solenoid is new. Cluster works. I can hear something click when the key is put on the DESS post, so I assume its recognizing it.

Any way to test the ECU and see if its indeed the problem? If I do find a replacement ECU, can I just do a straight swap and use the correct key? Do I need to have the cluster programmed?

Fuel pump will never run until you get 2 beeps. It may not be recognizing your keys as being programmed to the ECU. It completes the circuit when any key is put on which is why you should try another key that isn't programmed to your ECU and see if it does the same exact same thing.

I do think your ECU is the problem but definitely worth hooking up BUDS and seeing if your keys can be reprogrammed first and see if it can even be read by BUDS. No good way to see if your ECU is bad but trying to read it is the first step.

If you replace the ECU, the cluster and ECU will need to be married using software. It will probably run but your cluster may not work correctly. You can get a replacement ECU online where they will flash the tune for your exact year/model on another ECU but costs around $800.

Fuel pump will never run until you get 2 beeps. It may not be recognizing your keys as being programmed to the ECU. It completes the circuit when any key is put on which is why you should try another key that isn't programmed to your ECU and see if it does the same exact same thing.

I do think your ECU is the problem but definitely worth hooking up BUDS and seeing if your keys can be reprogrammed first and see if it can even be read by BUDS. No good way to see if your ECU is bad but trying to read it is the first step.

If you replace the ECU, the cluster and ECU will need to be married using software. It will probably run but your cluster may not work correctly. You can get a replacement ECU online where they will flash the tune for your exact year/model on another ECU but costs around $800.
Where can I get a replacement ECU? I have been looking but coming up empty handed for the specific one I need. I got a quote from Nick at $1400 for what I am assuming is a used ECU.

Torx racing can supply what you need. You can send your ECU to them and they can sort of test it by checking the file and see if it can be reflashed.

On second thought, after hearing lots of complaints, I don't think I want to deal with torx racing. Any other sources for a new ecu?

Back