Couple questions on 2001 Utopia

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Thanks @cymertony!

Not sure if anyone else is watching this thread through it's twists and turns, but I have another question that should be easy. Just got the boat on the water today, Yay! Generally ran well, so happy there. I absolutely struggled to control it at slow speeds, so hoping that I can adjust the RPM-at-lock issue here. But I tried the bilge switch and it didn't turn on, or at least I couldn't hear it. I have no reason to believe there's any water in the bilge and was really just confirming it is operational. Should it work when a.) engine off b.) key off (actually not sure if I had the key on or off) c.) master power on, and d.) no water in the bilge?

The bilge pump is automatic or can be manually started with the switch on the dash. It's tied into power on the battery side of the disconnect switch so should always have power. Discharges through a hose out the starboard side.

I've tested mine via switch and by filling up the bilge... works really good.

I can check switch and power behavior tomorrow and post.

Hey @cymertony , just coming back around to this. Had the boat running on the hose again today and remembered to test the steering wheel locks. Got nothing. Looked for your post about this and couldn't find. Any chance you can dig it up? I didn't see where this was covered in the manual either.

This is a Seadoo add-on, so it will not be in the Merc book. It should be in the Seadoo book.
Stat looking on the port side of engine, down low. The system frequently fails there. Looking for cable like a bicycle brake.

There's a drawing of the bilge pump on page 43 of the Utopia Shop Manual, and there is a description of the bilge pump operation in the Operator's guide on page 26. Here's a link to it, not sure if it's in the forum files: https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/public/tmp/000665.pdf

Here's what it says:

Bilge Pump Switch
A 2-position push type switch. Press switch to ON position when a manual operation is required (after cleaning, storage, etc.). Press to OFF position when bilge is dry.

CAUTION: Using the bilge pump for a prolonged time when the engine is not running will discharge the battery. NOTE: The bilge pump may be operated without the safety lanyard on its switch.

CAUTION: Ensure to always turn pump OFF when bilge is dry or before operating the engine above idle. Bilge pump will then switch to automatic mode.

Automatic Bilge Pump
An automatic bilge pump will evacuate water from the bilge. A water sensor detects the water which activates the bilge pump. After the water is pumped out, the pump shuts-off automatically. This automatic mode is working at all times: with/without safety lanyard on its switch and with/without engine running.

Haven't gotten a chance to confirm on the boat yet, but what I remember appears to be the same as what the manual says.

There's a drawing of the bilge pump on page 43 of the Utopia Shop Manual, and there is a description of the bilge pump operation in the Operator's guide on page 26. Here's a link to it, not sure if it's in the forum files: https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/public/tmp/000665.pdf

Here's what it says:

Bilge Pump Switch
A 2-position push type switch. Press switch to ON position when a manual operation is required (after cleaning, storage, etc.). Press to OFF position when bilge is dry.

CAUTION: Using the bilge pump for a prolonged time when the engine is not running will discharge the battery. NOTE: The bilge pump may be operated without the safety lanyard on its switch.

CAUTION: Ensure to always turn pump OFF when bilge is dry or before operating the engine above idle. Bilge pump will then switch to automatic mode.

Automatic Bilge Pump
An automatic bilge pump will evacuate water from the bilge. A water sensor detects the water which activates the bilge pump. After the water is pumped out, the pump shuts-off automatically. This automatic mode is working at all times: with/without safety lanyard on its switch and with/without engine running.

Haven't gotten a chance to confirm on the boat yet, but what I remember appears to be the same as what the manual says.

OK, thanks again Tony. The behavior of mine is a little different and suspect. I can't toggle it off and on using the switch, but it will occasionally come on for a short period of time when the button is pressed. I was thinking it was "smart" enough to run but then detect no water and shut off, but it sounds like it should be on if the switch is pressed, period, and it's not working like that. I think I need to take a look.

Back