Towing Vehicle Sugesstion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimraab

I currently tow my Seadoo with a 2006 Ford Taurus. The car runs great and is paid for. It tows fine with the exception of when I take it to the Dunedin Causeway which is a sand surface. On occasion if the front wheels are positioned over soft sand when pulling the ski out is where I am screwed. What would you suggest as an economical vehicle that would be better in these conditions. I was thinking about an AWD Ford Escape or perhaps a Subaru with AWD. I want something that is relatively fuel efficient. Any suggestions?

I've got a 2.4L Jeep Compass, 4wd. It won't tow a lot 2000lbs., but it gets great gas mileage, 26mpg in town, 30mpg highway. Mine is a 2009 it's been great. The new ones look like a small Grand Cherokee. The factory hitch if $300.00, factory wiring harness $100.00.

Lou

I am considering a 2012 Ford Escape (great deal like new) but since it is not an AWD it is FWD, am I going to have the same problem with getting stuck when the front wheels are on sand? The vehicle sits up much higher than my Taurus. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Feedback would be much appreciated!

Other than the fact that the explorer weighs more and will likely have slightly more aggressive tires it is the same theory. So basically, it will act like what you had before but slightly better IMO. The height aspect doesn't really change things as you are not trying clear ground obstacles.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, I would hate to buy it and find out that I have the same problem. I really don't want to get anything too big. Do you think that I should really be looking at one of the smaller SUV's, but with AWD?

If any of the members have a FWD Ford Escape please let me know what you think about this. (if you don't mind)

I don't have a Ford Escape but I do have a SUV with AWD (Volvo XC90), and all AWD systems are not the same. AWD does not equal 4WD and I would caution you to research how capable the AWD system is if you go that route. I think a lot of AWD systems are meant for wet roads and do pretty good in snow. Sand is a different animal. My XC90 is FWD first, and if the front slips then the rear is suppose to kick in to help as needed. In practice, it doesn't work that well and I have gotten stuck on a sandy ramp in my "AWD" vehicle. Hopefully someone can help with input on the FWD Escape but I know I wouldn't trust my XC90 on the sand.

I've owned 3 Subaru's, and they have all been great. (zero issues) Right now, the wife's car is a Forester (2012) and it has a 3500 Lb tow rating. The AWD will tug you out of any sandy situation, and it has a little more ground clearance than a regular car.

I also like the Subaru! I am also considering a 2011 Jeep Compass with 4WD. I would hope that this vehicle would be good at getting me out of the sand. :)

Lou, I am going to look at the same rig you have, but 2011 model. Do you think that this would resolve the issue with getting out of the sand? Typically only one set of wheels would be in soft sand. The other set would be on much harder sand with some stones in it.

ranchero and boat kb.jpg I purchased the ranchero new in 1977. The minivan actually works better on the boat ramp but I like the Ford. I just finished the boat.

Lou, I am going to look at the same rig you have, but 2011 model. Do you think that this would resolve the issue with getting out of the sand? Typically only one set of wheels would be in soft sand. The other set would be on much harder sand with some stones in it.

Jim,

I really can't say, we don't have a lot of sand here. But our ramp is pretty steep and I haven't had a problem. The only limitation is the 2000# towing capacity so with two 4-tecs and a trailer might be a little iffy. But with one ski no problem.

If you decide to buy the Jeep be sure to get the factory wiring harness, it plugs in at the fuse block under the hood and runs all the way back to the rear, mine was $100.00 from the dealer. I've heard aftermarket wiring is a big no no. You're probably O.K. with an aftermarket hitch, as long as it attaches to the frame.

Lou

I know this thread has a bit of age on it. With a 4 wheel drive vehicle as soon as you shift into 4WD all 4 wheels have power. The range selector has low range. You shift into this setting and the wheels tend not to spin as easy. You could pull a house out of the water. My Wife has an Escape. It's a nice vehicle, the height you just walk into the seat. We have had ZERO problems in 110,000 miles. Decent MPG, drives good, fit and finish are good. You have space for you expedition stuff. Cooler, chairs, life vests and bags with 5 passengers. Parts are average price for the size vehicle. front brakes are the easiest I have ever done. Oil changes need no jack or stands. Uses average size tires.
It tows out two GTI's without a problem. Pulls right up the ramps.

If your budget allows, the 2014 Range Rover Sport is awesome. My friend just got one— the entire car is 100% aluminum. Shaved ~800lbs off the curb weight from the previous model so the thing handles like a (taller) car in the corners. Since there's no steel it won't rust, great for salty launch ramps.

Jim did you buy a new vehicle yet? We have a 2013 Outback that does just fine with my 95 GTS. Sand would be no problem.

AWD is the answer is you are going to deal with sand and other loose ground. I have a Lexus RX350 AWD and it is a monster. Second one I have owned. Years ago we owned a Subaru. For the money they are very hard to beat...

all you peeps and your expensive rides !

When I searched for my next tow vehicle I had narrowed it down to Lexus RX models, and Tundra.

Then stumbled across a $2500 Dodge Durango, rides great, but gets worse fuel economy than my ski :(

My wife has a 2010 GMC (4 banger) Terrain with AWD. Has 1500 lb towing. It can tow my boat 19 ft Glastron to the ramp..(1/2 mile away) but I won't pull it out with that. I think the 6 cylinder has 3500 lbs towing capacity.
I now own a 2008 Trailblazer with 5000 lbs capacity. Second one I've had, the first was a 2001. Still a 2 wheel drive but does the job.

I drive an '06 Chevy Silverado 1500. Pulls great! 4x4 too! I think it's about 5k towing cap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back